Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas

No this is not your typical, has it been done before thread. I have been talking to Dave who fabed a Mid-engine RWD H22a4 Integra. Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/swf/cps...der=0

Anyway, Civics have there H and B series swaps, SC400 and IS300's have there 2JZ swap, 240sx's have there Srdet or RB swaps...what is there for Preludes? Nothing lol. I have been talking to Dave on the phone about a possible conversion. The hole goal in mind is trying to make the prelude an even better car. I planned to build a 400+whp prelude. But what else can you do with a 400+whp prelude besides go in a straight line. Not to mention that first gear and most of second would be pretty much useless lol. Anyway we have come up with 3 possible solutions that make some sense.

1) Mid engine RWD H22 Prelude: It would be Pretty well balanced as far as weight distribution. Parts are cheap and readily available but you would loose your back seats.

2) CRV AWD drivteran with an H2B "like" conversion. He told me that some already has done this with an Integra except it was a b series. From what he told me ...it bolted right up to the tranny. I would have too look more into this. If I am going to spend lots of money on a conversion like this it would be nice for it to be AWD. Best drivetrain for putting the power to the ground.

3) Full S2000 swap: He said this would also be a good possibility. In order to do this with as little downtime as possible you would have to most likely buy a wrecked s2000 to cut up. I found some for $6500. Thats not bad at all... that would basically be total parts cost if someone got one. With the RWD integra he had a 5th gen lude he used to cut up to make it work. Now instead of custom fabing the mounts we could just cut that section out of the s2000 and weld in place. That sounded much easier than it actually would be but there would be no need for custom mounts. Just from eyeballing it...It looks like 5th gen preludes have enough room under the hood for the F. Now this will still take a hole lot of fabrication still.

I estimated a budget of $10,000 for this project. For labor and parts It looking more realistic at $15,000. No I am not one of those people that likes to just buy cars... I want to build one. So for those of you that will say just buy an s2000 or an evo I am not trying to hear all that lol. I dont want and s2k or an evo... I have got the car I want right now. This is about improving on a car that I love so much. I would love to keep the h22 thats why option 2 looks good to me. I am really interested in keeping the 5th gen chassis and exterior above all else. I guess I am a true prelude fanatic. We have had rwd preludes already but it would be nice to see them more on a regular basis. What do you guys think?

Modified by ProjectBB6 at 10:30 PM 10/19/2007
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (ProjectBB6)

Wasn't that the guy in this year's street car challenge? I believe he showed the build process from beginning to end here on HT.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (Televator)

Yep, here it is: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=981613

I was going to see the teggy today but I ran out of time. He's in the area working on a buddy's 240sx.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang didnt know he lived around here
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

i have this same idea all the time, im constantly looking at ways to do it. My preferred option would be to do like the Integra, but since the rear seats would be going theres plenty of room for something bigger. I've been looking into J series v6's with twin turbo's and chucking that back there. The engineering certificate required here in Australia to pass that conversion would be nigh on impossible to get though. What i would love to do is build a space frame chassis and drop a 4th gen body onto it, that would be a better option but again they're really strict on that sort of stuff here in Oz. Moneys not really an object to me, but my time quota sucks, having virtually zero left for doing funky stuff. I love the idea of a rwd lude with a monster engine!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (skinnyboy)

and where does an 18 yr get 15k grand from? surely you cannot just pull 15k from out of your *** right?

all jokes aside to most ppl this may seem crazy or foolish but i say go for it. an awd/rwd prelude would be awesome. just remember that once you start this you can't go back so think about it. keep us updated though!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRV K-series AWD drivetrain?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (ethereal2pt2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ethereal2pt2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and where does an 18 yr get 15k grand from? surely you cannot just pull 15k from out of your *** right?

all jokes aside to most ppl this may seem crazy or foolish but i say go for it. an awd/rwd prelude would be awesome. just remember that once you start this you can't go back so think about it. keep us updated though! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had my prelude for a year. It was a stock auto 5th gen. As you can see in my sig it no longer is. Please dont worry about how much money I have or dont have. I have spent about 9k already on the lude.

Modified by ProjectBB6 at 10:30 PM 10/19/2007
Old 10-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So... Been talking to Mr. Frompa tonight and discussing this a little.. He's been bouncing the idea around for awhile now..

The reason the Prelude doesn't have as many major swaps done is one: it's not as popular as most the other Honda's (For many reasons), two: they're harder to find and come by, three: their price. The Civic's and Integra's are lighter than the Prelude and can be found easier and for cheaper.. The Civic and Integra have smaller engines that produce less power stock compared to the H-Series from the Prelude and Accord. So to do the work and fabrication to drop in a engine that produces more power without any modification into a lighter car make perfect sense. Also, getting a spare shell and chopping it up for fun, is pretty simple. Chop it up, make it Mid-Engine with a H-Series Block, upgrade all around. The Prelude doesn't really have a bigger engine to swap into it, it is the donor. The B-series doesn't make sense, the Prelude is to heavy for this engine series. The K-Series is really bigger, nor does it make much more power than the H-Series, so it doesn't make sense for the amount of custom work and price when it would need to be built, which could be done to the original block faster, cheaper, and less trouble. Can it be done, sure, anything can be done, but does it really make sense besides "It'd be cool y0!" or "I want to be original." I'm talking about doing something that more people can do to further improve and advance the Prelude Community.

So we all know our plump girls, the Prelude, she has her curves, well at least the 4thGen, heh. What do Heavier cars like the Prelude have? More Displacemnt, more Cylinders, RWD, AWD? The Prelude although a sporty styled car, just wasn't taken the right direction after it's '80s Models. Making it so much larger and heavier, it really could have used a couple more cylinders and/or something different than the traditional FWD. I actually have always thought the Prelude would look great being a RWD car, when I first saw it I actually thought it was. ;P

So, on to which of these ideas make the most reasonable sense..

The question would be, what would you be using your car for after you do this? Do you want to keep it daily drivable? Will it be strictly a track car? What kind of track car? Quarter Mile, Auto Cross, Rally/Off-Road, or even go so far as to say Drift? Do you want to keep the rear seats? Do you want to have a reliable car that can be driven without trouble on the street?

Personally, I wouldn't care that much about having the Prelude Mid-Engine and losing the rear seats, not over the other options.. This would be the last that I considered myself if I had the opinion.

If the the AWD CRV Drivetrain an "H2B Like" conversion is possible, this sounds like it could be a good option.. You would have to do a lot of measurements; see if the Drivetrain would fit inside the engine bay without modifying the position of the engine (to keep it a little more simple), would a drive shaft fit under the car, if not, how much modification would be required and would anything be lost interior wise, and how much room would be required to "install" the rear axle, if so, how much trunk space would have to be lost, and would the gas tank be in the way (random thought).

For the S2000 swap, this would be a good option also. But I don't understand why he/you wouldn't want to make mounts for this? Design, fabricate, perfect them, patent them, produce them, great product for a business. I'm sure lots would want to buy these, specially if/when the price of S2000 swaps come down. The same questions/measurements would have to be done with the drive shaft and axle from the AWD option. Bah, if the fabrication to make the Prelude AWD/RWD can be done, I think the S2000 F-Series could be made to fit under the hood, even it a custom hood was required, wouldn't stop me.

The other option that was brought up a while back as skinnyboy mentioned was the V6 Swap. I didn't ever finish reading the entire thread, so I don't know where that topic ended up.. But I personally would rather the RWD/AWD Swap.

The price quote, no point trying to save up a figure, just plan to save any and everything if you get, because you'll use it all..

If I was there, I'd be down to help with the grunt work.. lol And I'll be the first to be the test dummy for a RWD 4thGen along with your 5thGen buddy. Shoot, I'd drop the NA High Comp engine that I only need Cams for to do this..
I'm sure we'll talk more while I'm HS'ing you on CS.

Originally Posted by ethereal2pt2
and where does an 18 yr get 15k grand from?
An 18 year old gets a job? No? When I was 16 I started a job where I was able to make almost $20,000 a year, so it's very possible..
Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys not have any expenses? lol

I'm 20 and I get like $17/hr but I still have nowhere near enough $$ to do something like this.

Leah, this is a bad idea for a few reasons. (It also has its good points but lets rationalize here)

Your prelude is fairly new and very sellable, I wouldn't go chopping up such a valuable car so readily.

You can buy awd cars and rwd cars and spend way less. Yes the cool factor of an awd prelude is a point, but you're going to spend a lot more $$ than you think.

You're exactly right, you can't do much with a 400whp fwd car except go in a straight line.

Why don't you invest your money in a simple NA build, make 230whp or so, and then buy some suspension parts and get your car into track racing condition? (If that is what you want to do)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys not have any expenses? lol

I'm 20 and I get like $17/hr but I still have nowhere near enough $$ to do something like this.

Leah, this is a bad idea for a few reasons. (It also has its good points but lets rationalize here)

Your prelude is fairly new and very sellable, I wouldn't go chopping up such a valuable car so readily.

You can buy awd cars and rwd cars and spend way less. Yes the cool factor of an awd prelude is a point, but you're going to spend a lot more $$ than you think.

You're exactly right, you can't do much with a 400whp fwd car except go in a straight line.

Why don't you invest your money in a simple NA build, make 230whp or so, and then buy some suspension parts and get your car into track racing condition? (If that is what you want to do)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but this is taking the easy way out. I know this is not going to be inexpensive or easy. This is more of a longterm goal for my car. As I said before... I love everything about this car. However from a performance standpoint how far can I take it? To me it would be more gratifying knowing that built and awd prelude than if I bought some DSM or an EVO. This wont be for everyone. Most people are looking for there "upgrade". They continue to buy what the consider the next best thing they can afford. For example prelude owners are constantly trying to upgrade to a s2000. Who knows in 2 years or so... the parts might be cheap. I mean... if you can swap in an LS1 in a Civic... you can make prelude rwd or awd.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes but this is taking the easy way out. I know this is not going to be inexpensive or easy. This is more of a longterm goal for my car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is fine and dandy, but is it worth it? NO! For the same $$ you'll get much more performance from another car, don't buy an evo though. They're junk

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As I said before... I love everything about this car. However from a performance standpoint how far can I take it? To me it would be more gratifying knowing that built and awd prelude than if I bought some DSM or an EVO. This wont be for everyone. Most people are looking for there "upgrade". They continue to buy what the consider the next best thing they can afford. For example prelude owners are constantly trying to upgrade to a s2000. Who knows in 2 years or so... the parts might be cheap. I mean... if you can swap in an LS1 in a Civic... you can make prelude rwd or awd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Firstly, I'm sure you love everything about your prelude, but, there are other, way nicer cars out there.

How will it be gratifying to have "built" an AWD prelude when you're going to be doing very little of the "building" and just funding everything.

Lets be realistic man, you have anywhere near the tools or knowledge to do this job, just look at the thread about that MR h22 integra, the custom work needing to be done on the suspension to get it all straight so that the car will drive correctly and align straight is ridiculous.

Tearing apart an old beat up civic to put an ls1 in for a drag car IS cool, but tearing apart your valuable prelude to do an AWD conversion is not practical.

Why don't you sell your car and buy a 4g or something to do it with? You can get one for cheaper, and they're lighter in the first place. Take it from me, I've been there, pouring money into your prelude now will only make you regret it later.

Some day you'll wish you saved that money toward a down payment on a house or a new car or college, or something that is a GOOD investment. I urge you to put more thought into rationalizing this, and less into how "cool" it would be. Of course it would be cool, I couldn't agree more.

If you were to do it, IMO, the best way to go would be the CRV drivetrain with an h2b deal, that seems like it would be the "easiest" of all the options. An s2000 setup would require cutting up the firewall and exhaust tunnel.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

find a shell or a frame damaged shell particularly... since you'll be hacking away.. whats one more rail right?

but yeah, hacking up a perfectly good prelude is a bad idea..
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have looked and looked for that nicer car man... and I haven't found it. Not in any reasonable price range. If I did... I would have sold the prelude already.

Your right about the building part. I would be mainly funding the project. However Dave is the one who has the the extensive years of experience and the knowledge. He would be physically building it. BTW cars are never a "good" investment from a financial point of view.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have looked and looked for that nicer car man... and I haven't found it. Not in any reasonable price range. If I did... I would have sold the prelude already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Used Subaru's can be had for a good price if you must have AWD, if you want a good performer for the price, you could pick up an m3. You could get at least 5k from your car, and with the 15k+ you're going to spend on this project, you could easily get one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your right about the building part. I would be mainly funding the project. However Dave is the one who has the the extensive years of experience and the knowledge. He would be physically building it. BTW cars are never a "good" investment from a financial point of view. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So I don't understand then where the pride factor comes from....you're not building it. So basically you'll be the only one who paid someone else to build you an AWD prelude. Big whoop.

Cars are never a "good" investment but a more expensive car with a good resale value is a MUCH better investment than pouring $15k into your prelude for AWD. In the end, you're not going to get **** out of it, and it is still a 4cyl, slightly heavy car. So you won't keep up with the faster cars, and will have put more $$ into a black hole.

Do whatever man, it doesn't sound like you're heeding any of my advice. Post this in GDD or another forum where more of the people who post are older and more mature, and you'll get the same kind of answer.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Matt I do understand what your saying and I do appreciate your responses. The money could be better spent elsewhere. I havnt personally built my prelude to what it is today. I never did the 5speed swap or the turbo back exhaust. I simply paid the money to get it done. However I still have a sense of pride and gratification in the car...looking back at what it came from. What your saying is right tho. Lol a turbo awd 3000 pound car would be a killer tho matt... what you talkn about? Evos and sti's didnt seem to have a problem with there 4 bangers lol.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't get why so many young people purposely waste money/ live in debt for lame reasons. I have no idea how you guys do it.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't get why so many young people purposely waste money/ live in debt for lame reasons. I have no idea how you guys do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

qft
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (mgags7)

it's because we are YOUNG i'm still stuck on where all your money is coming from..? i mean okay you have a job but it's not like you don't have other things to pay for? i'd love for my prelude to be awd.. but i aint going to hack up my baby.. unless i made like 6 figures..
Old 10-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (ethereal2pt2)

I think that the s2000 swap would be a bit meaningless since the gains in power are minimal for a car as heavy as the Prelude with the weak torque band that the s2000 has. The holy grail of swaps seems to be the 2JZ swap into the s2000 and I think that if you are going to modify your lude as much as you state then you may want to look into a 2JZ swap into a lude. RWD, 500+ easy horsepower, one of a kind. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (jzobie1)

i have zero expenses too, and made like 800$ a month on 14hours/week easy.. (minimumwage+tips) thats 9600$ a year.. 15k is prob like 20-30 hours per week or just better pay. im looking to get a drone job at kragen or jiffylube.. hehe not like anyone serious goes there, so ill spend all day ghetto-rigging stuff for the lude or trying things out. (like how pidgeons respond to anti-freeze in their food, and how my lude likes some tornado air induction thingies)
Old 10-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (dagle)

wrx sti has all the features you listed. turbo, awd, 3000 lbs. I personally agree with matt. Id rather buy one then convert to awd. dont get me wrong awd prelude would be awesome, but is it worth that much money to get 2 more wheels grabbing the road?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (M2B4)

WRX sti = 3,000lbs? please check again. Yes I do hear what all has been said. To you guys the money could go to buying a car already setup for that kind of thing right? I could have bought a rwd or awd car already. I dont want another car. Maybe I can get Dave in here to share some of his knowledge with you guys. To the person who said...how can I live in debt? I dont have a credit card or loans. I pay for everything cash.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edit: 2005 wrx sti manual 300 hp 300 tq 3263 lbs.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/....html
Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas (M2B4)

hey, how bout doing a prelude front end conversion on an impreza? =D

Quick Reply: RWD / AWD Prelude Ideas