Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys

So I lost all of my car keys... I am a dumbass, I know. However I do happen to still have my red maintenance key that came with the car when I purchased it. So I figured at least maybe if I took the car to a Honda dealer they would be able to make me a new key from that red maintenance key. As it turns out they can only make a new car key if you have the red maintenance key and a functioning car key. Since the red key is all I have left the dealership told me I needed to buy a new immobilizer for $450!! If anyone knows any more information about this red "useless piece of ****" key let me know....
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (2000PreludeSH)

That is complete BS. That red key does nothing but reset your maintenance light. You don't even need it really.

When you bought the car, did they give you some small metal tags with codes on them? Did you lose those too?

BTW, you are a dumbass.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:09 AM
BB2H23A1

Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (Sticky Tires)

all they need to make the key is the VIN number and proof that you own the car dont let the stealership get you tell them you know they can make you a key so get off their asses and cut you a goddamn key or you will dress up in a chicken suit march out into their lot and tell people not to buy their cars.

I'll bet they make you the key
Old 05-20-2004, 04:42 AM

Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (BB2H23A1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB2H23A1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... tell them you know they can make you a key so get off their asses and cut you a goddamn key or you will dress up in a chicken suit march out into their lot and tell people not to buy their cars. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I love honda tech for this reason.

Don't worry, you dont need a new immobilizer..when i got my car, i only had one key, then the dealership lost it..then used my VIN to cut up a new one. 450...psshhhh Tell 'em Ray says they're full of ****. I bet you a chicken suit rental costs less than 450 bucks.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (NatakuBlitz)

Take it to a different dealership, they don't deserve your business-
Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (SKDRCR)

i bought a 93 hatch that didnt have a key and i took the title and and a picture id and the made me a new key for 5 bucks..
Old 05-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (Sticky Tires)

Sticky Tires: What in world are you talking about?

The RED keys in a 5gen Prelude are tied to a SPECIFIC immobilizer.

With the Red Key, a Honda OBDII Scanner, and a new replacement BLACK or GREY key... they dealer can program the car to recognize new keys.

The Prelude was the first car to have the immobilizer system. There are THREE types of keys:

1) The original keys type that came with the Prelude (Black/Grey).

2) The T5 key, what is a WORM type key (also in Black/Grey).

3) The RED key... ALWAYS PAIRED TO AN IMMOBILIZER.

The original key type has a HARD CODED ID burned into the chip located in the key. This means that EVERY KEY IS UNIQUE.

The T5 key looks the same as the other keys, but is used to duplicate an EXISTING black or grey (original) key.

However, the dealer CAN get the original key type for the car and then use the RED key to copy the cuts.

Then, using the OBDII scanner, the RED key, and the new original type key the car can be programed to allow the new key to start the car.

Then, you have the parts guys duplicate your new original type key (both the cuts and the code) onto a T5 type key.

T5 keys were created because too many people lost their RED key.

When you loose the RED key the car can no longer be programmed to accept new keys. If you then loose you keys, and don't have the RED key for your immobilizer... you end up needing to purchase a new immobilizer.

Before T5 keys you need the RED key to have Honda program your immobilizer to work with any new key. Basically, this meant that if you lost a key and wanted another one, honda would charge you $25.00 for the Key and $80.00 to have the tech program the car to accept both your remaining old keys and the new key (orginal type).

People got quite irate with loss of the RED key because it became more common when the Accords started using the immobilizer system... enter the T5 key... Which allows the parts department to completely duplicate an original key (both physically and electronically).

It seems the many dealers have no clue what they are doing... and I attribute this to the fact that their are so few Prelude out there.

If a dealer is telling that you that they don't have NON-T5 keys... they are full of crap!

Start calling dealers until you can get the right key blank.

Start calling dealers and get a hold of a NON-T5 key so that you can get an orginal type key that actually has a code it.

Modified by gerhard at 2:02 AM 5/21/2004

Modified by gerhard at 2:07 AM 5/21/2004
Old 05-21-2004, 03:27 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The Red Maintenance Key--Word to the Wise Don't Lose Your Car Keys (gerhard)

damn, all this time i thought the red key was useless.

i stand corrected, thanks gerhard.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought my prelude from a used car lot. The only key the guy had was a black one. So what's the final word here. If i lose this key (or want to copy it), do I need to spend 450 for a new immobilizer or can the dealer use my VIN to program a new key??

Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 08:26 PM

A dealer CAN make a copy of the key with just the VIN, assuming the previous owner never had to reset the immobilizer (use the red key) best bet is to go in with your original ASAP so nothing happens.