Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Red Key Fiasco..........(#3 continued)

Old 05-24-2004, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Key Fiasco..........(#3 continued)

First of all let me explain what has happened it seems some people have mixed up a few details.

I own a 2000 Honda Prelude Type SH. Honda for what ever reason when they were designing the 1998-2001 Preludes decided to make it very difficult to make copies of car keys. They decided to put an immobilizer system in these cars which meant the only way to make a new set of keys was to take the car to a dealership and have them make a new copy using a red maintenance key.

I lost my car keys.

The ONLY key I had left was the red key. I did not try and start the car with this key because it is printed very clearly on the back of its packaging IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO START THE ENGINE WITH THIS KEY. IF THIS KEY IS OPERATED THE MASTER KEY CANNOT BE USED ANY LONGER I know how to read.

So I spoke with a person over the phone who worked in the parts department at a dealership that is to remain nameless. (Hardin Honda 1381 Auto Center Drive Anaheim, CA 92806, Phone 714-533-6200) who told me that if I provided him with the car's VIN # and the red key a new key could be made that would start the car.
Estimated Total Cost of repair $60 for 2 new car keys.

I went to the dealership with the red key and my VIN #, but a different employee in the parts department at this same dealership which is to remain nameless (Hardin Honda 1381 Auto Center Drive Anaheim, CA 92806, Phone 714-533-6200) said that I needed to tow my car to the dealership so they could program the car's immobilizeer to recognize the new car keys.
Estimated Total Cost $80.........$20 more for towing costs.

I had my car towed to this dealership that is to remain nameless (Hardin Honda 1381 Auto Center Drive Anaheim, CA 92806, Phone 714-533-6200) and this time someone from the service department told me I was lucky I still had the red key because if I didn't it would be $550 for a new immobilizer.
Estimated Total Cost $280........ I few bogus re-programming fees....plus while I was there I decided to get a new remote control keyless entry transponder.

Fifteen minutes later I got a call on my cell phone from this same person working in the service department at a dealership that is to remain nameless (Hardin Honda 1381 Auto Center Drive Anaheim, CA 92806, Phone 714-533-6200)
who said they had made a mistake and they could not make me a new key that would start the engine with just the red key. They needed a key that could operate the car. He said I needed to get a new immobilizer for $550. He asked if I agreed I said hell no I want to speak to your manager.
Estimated Total Cost.......$550 plus taxes.

The following day I received a phone call from the service manager at a dealership that is to remain nameless (Hardin Honda 1381 Auto Center Drive Anaheim, CA 92806, Phone 714-533-6200) I explained my situation to him and he said the ONLY way to fix my car was to get a new immobilizer he offered to take $75 off my bill. I told him I wanted a bigger discount since it had taken so long to get the situation resolved and no one at his dealership which is to remain nameless seemed to know anything about fixing my car. He said it was the best he could do, people at his dealershop had just made an honest mistake. Desperate and still unhappy I accepted his offer, I needed my car back.
Final Cost.......$512 after taxes.

II have gotten my car back it works fine but I want BLOOD. If anyone knows if it is possible to make a new car key with just the red key and a VIN # please let me know I need actual documentation specific to a 1998-2001 Honda Preludes. I NEED it in writing (i.e. a website, owner's manual, or service guide) some form of offical documentation that says it is possible to make a new car key that will operate the car with just the red key and a VIN #. I intend to sue this dealership for every nikel and dime they have in their little piggy banks, but first I need proof that you people know what you are talking about.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Red Key Fiasco..........(#3 continued) (2000PreludeSH)

Call Corporate Honda!!!!!

I had a '99 automatic Prelude a while back and the transmission went out under warranty. The dealership told me it would be three weeks before they could get a transmission from Japan and were just jerks in general.

One call to corporate Honda and the transmission was there the next morning and my car was ready by lunchtime. If the person you speak with doesn't know, they have someone there that does... The number is on your owners manual, or... If you want to be a jerk (like me) call the dealership again, ask for the service manager you spoke to before, and ask him for the number

Service Managers hate it when a customer calls the corporate office
Old 05-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Red Key Fiasco..........(#3 continued) (Nocturnal)

that's ******* bullshit, telling you the cost will be this and then charging u the full amount.

die honda dealerships diieee....
Old 05-25-2004, 07:30 AM
bdb

Default Re: Red Key Fiasco..........(#3 continued) (Matgallis)

Write letters and call Honda corporate!