Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Questionnare: How many H22 trannies don't have or have lost reverse gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questionnare: How many H22 trannies don't have or have lost reverse gear?

I just got done fixing a H22 tranny that couldn't get into reverse. After reading around a bit, it seems like more than just a random occurence.

I'd like to get some input on peoples' experiences with the issue to maybe help some of those that aren't willing or unable to fix the tranny themselves.

Some of the basic questions I'd like some input on are:

What year Prelude engine/tranny?

Did the transmission come from a swap?

Did your transmission always not have reverse? This is mostly a question for those that bought swaps.

Did you isolate the problem to something inside the tranny? Was it a problem with the shift linkage area or something wrong with the gears/synchro/shift forks?

If you fixed the problem, what was the cause?

Feel free to add whatever you want to your testimony...I'm not much into thinking real hard or comprehensively on the forums anymore, so it'd be nice if people picked up my slack a little.

My personal experience:
My friend bought a JDM H22A swap from hmotorsonline. A roommate did most of the swap (I helped a little too) and later on found out that the tranny wouldn't go into reverse on the test drive. How about that for a tranny surprise, eh?

I troubleshot it down to something inside the transmission that was deeper than the shift linkage. I did that by taking off the cables, removing the shift linkage cover, and manually flipping through the gears to attempt to get it into reverse.

We ended up dropping the tranny and opening the casing. The 5th gear synchro was ok, but the reverse synchro had a damaged 50mm synchro spring. Removing the damaged ring helped a little, but still didn't allow reverse to fully engage (the reverse gear should contact the mainshaft at about the middle of the gear). We later found that the 5th-reverse synchro sleeve was damaged. The teeth were mushroomed on one side so that it could get into 5th gear, but not into reverse. In a new/good synchro hub and sleeve combo, the sleeve is able to slide easily off of the synchro hub without forcing it. We tried filing down the teeth, but the synchro sleeve still wouldn't fall off the hub in both directions. No matter what we did, the reverse gear wouldn't engage the mainshaft gear more than 20% into the mainshaft gear.

We ended up replacing the synchro sleeve and hub with new ones, which also included the 5th gear synchro. It cost roughly $95 + S&H. We also replaced the 50mm synchro ring. Problem solved.

I scotch-brited the casing mating surfaces with the help of some lacquer thinner as solvent, re-hondabonded the mating surfaces, and slapped the casing together today and checked the gear motion. It now engages all gears without snagging, and I also checked that the reverse gear engages the mainshaft gear half way into the gear instead of only 20% into it. Everything's good.

I did find another problem while reassembling everything tho. The shift linkage cover had a crack in it from where the gear select lever arm swings the shift rod into separate gear pairs (ie: 1st & 2nd, 3rd & 4th, 5th & reverse) was hitting the top of the cover. I'll do pics in a bit. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

EDIT: After inspecting the cover closer, I found that the gear pair selector was bent. That's probably why it's hitting the inside of the cover and cracked it. It still has full range of motion to get to 1st-2nd and 5th-reverse. The cause of it bending is still unknown.

I don't have any pics of the internal repair work (so you visual people will just have to suffer), but it wasn't hard for me to do it, and I swear my IQ is sub-100 sometimes.

Modified by IN VTEC at 5:02 PM 1/17/2005
Old 01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Questionnare: How many H22 trannies don't have or have lost reverse gear? (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year Prelude engine/tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1994 for both

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did the transmission come from a swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, with the swap. From HMO.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did your transmission always not have reverse? This is mostly a question for those that bought swaps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it worked for like 3 months. The kid let his brother borrow the car and he came back with the transmission not going into reverse and grinding in 5th if not double clutched.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you isolate the problem to something inside the tranny? Was it a problem with the shift linkage area or something wrong with the gears/synchro/shift forks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the problem(s) are inside the transmission. I switched the cables for good ones, checked for bind (this is h22a/EG). You could see the cables binding at the transmission gear selectors. I tried to shift it into reverse by hand, no luck.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you fixed the problem, what was the cause?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, one day it just starting (reverse) working. I have to rebuild the transmission either way, so I will find the problem.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questionnare: How many H22 trannies don't have or have lost reverse gear? (turbogixxer)

had the same problem in my 94, but it isnt a swap, it is a problem with the shift fork. try this... put in clutch and shift into first, but dont let go of the clutch, then swiftly move it into reverse, if it fights you, DONT fight it back, just try again