Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Power Steering Foaming...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Foaming...

Just after doing the engine swap (h22a) I noticed there is a weird whining sound when I rev up a little (idle or driving) and gets louder as I rev up to ~3k (i can't really hear it too well around ~4k). I pretty much figured its coming from the power steering pump. I also noticed my power steering fluid resevior is bubbling/foaming and leaking a little bit of fluid out of the cap if I had been driving for a little bit.

Anyhow, I used the power steering pump from the h22a because it looked to be in better condition (newer) than my old one, even though my old one worked fine as far as I could tell. I filled the resevior up between the min and max line when the engine power steering was cold. Its a little close to the max line, but not on it, so I was going to try to syphon some of the fluid out and see if its over filled.

I try to bleed it by turning the wheel when the car is running but no luck fluid still bubbles and leaks out when I turn off the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM

i saw this problem on a dodge diesel once. pump went band and we installed a new one, but when we shut off the engine the fluid was foamy/bubbley, and would come pouring out the cap. we put in another pump, to no avail. finally installed a new steering gear and it worked fine. i think you may have a restriction in the rack, or in a line. make sure you dont have any pinched power steering lines. also when you bleed the system by turning the wheels back and fourth, you should have the vehicle weight OFF of the tires. so, jack it up, turn wheels from lock to lock for a few minutes (3-5min) and recheck for foam.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM

also, do not hold the wheel in the lock position for more than a couple seconds. could damage the pump
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: (red_hondas)

Also check the lines for leaks...if air is getting in it will foam up.
The way we check it is take two people and a radiator pressure tester and have one guy hold the end of the tester over the top of the reservoir, the other guy pumps about 3-5 pounds on it and sprays soapy water on the feed and return line to the reservoir.

The only other thing is you may need to get another reservoir.
They have a filter built into the bottom that clogs up sometimes.

That's the only reasons we have come across here at the shop.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Steering Foaming... (abeaujuin)

i assume you are using honda genuine PS fluid?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never heard of locking the steering wheel and damaging the p/s pump
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM

i know it will ruin a ford pump. the pressures are just really really high when you hold it at the turn stops. i call it the steering wheel lock. i guess i should call it the steering wheel stop. anyways, sometimes damage can occure. thats why when you hold it at the stop, you can hear the pump start groaning like a ford. better safe than sorry. sounds like a new pump might be coming down the pipe anyways
Old 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM

did you disconnect any hoses when swapping the motor? the motor coulda hit the lines on the drivers shock tower, check them too.

there is air getting into the system somewhere or its not bled correctly...jack up the front wheels when bleeding
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_hondas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know it will ruin a ford pump. the pressures are just really really high when you hold it at the turn stops. i call it the steering wheel lock. i guess i should call it the steering wheel stop. anyways, sometimes damage can occure. thats why when you hold it at the stop, you can hear the pump start groaning like a ford. better safe than sorry. sounds like a new pump might be coming down the pipe anyways</TD></TR></TABLE>

hondas and most newer cars (i think) have pressure relief valves that protect the pump at steering lock...though you still shouldnt hold it at lock cuz its bad for the rack internals and tie rods