Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a

Ok, when the motor was out be4 the swap, these are the things that were replaced: balancer Belt & Timing, water pump, crank seal, Front Balancer seal $ cams/seals. I beleive that the oil is coming from the Drive Gear Case. I am going to buy the Gasket from Honda today.
If you look at this
It's Item 7! Do I need to reaplace the item 6 aswell????
When I first bought this H22 I pulled the oil filter, there was pieces of Gasket in it. Does anyone else or has anyone else had this problem be4????
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...AINER
Look for pic above link.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a (caliriptide)

balancer shaft seal, is it a big leak or small leak, i had a big leak, my front balancer shaft seal backed out and i had to install the honda after thought retainer, it was a TSB for get which
Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">balancer shaft seal, is it a big leak or small leak, i had a big leak, my front balancer shaft seal backed out and i had to install the honda after thought retainer, it was a TSB for get which</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did that too. I bought that retainer OEM honda & seal for the front, I was wondering if the REAR could be leaking. My seal that is on the back of the oil cooler was leaking pretty good, so thats been replaced. Now i am just tracking down this other leak.
Can the Rear Balancer shaft have a leak? No..It's not a bad leak?
I did find bitts and pieces of an gasket in the old oil filter b4 the swap. Tracking these leaks sux!
I am going to replace the valve cover gasket aswell.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

might be cam shaft seal/s
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
99-0104

i just had a prelude come in the shop with the same problem .... it was the gasket behind the oil filter housing

the best way to check a leak is to use brake cleaner to clean ALL the oil around the part of the engine that has the leak then start it and look you will see where it is leaking from ..... also it could be your oil pressure switch but that is below the oil filter housing so i doubt that is the problem

good luck ... if you cant figure it out you can bring it to my shop and we can put it on the hoist and trace the leak for you
Old 09-10-2003, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just had a prelude come in the shop with the same problem .... it was the gasket behind the oil filter housing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya. I had to replace that gasket, The oil cooler gasket (Behind oil filter housing)was a good leak. Now I am try'n to find this other one. Maybe It is my cam seals, they may be leaking...
I guess these are some of the things you get to look forward to when getting an H22a Swap/ Ya "Low miles" But just how many YEARS has it been sitting for!
Thanx for the info/replies
Old 09-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the cam seals.

that ring behind the oil cooler is a biaaatch to get to stay in there when you put the cooler back on.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Oil Leaking in timing belt area?? H22a (SearchBeforeUPost!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SearchBeforeUPost! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like the cam seals.

that ring behind the oil cooler is a biaaatch to get to stay in there when you put the cooler back on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

4SURE!!!!!
That seal DID prove to a BIOTCH to keep in place! I used Q-tips to clean out the seal area!LOLOLL!!They fit perfict into that grove.
Worked great! NO MORE LEAK there.
$3.62 fix O.E.M Seal