Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

not another no start ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not another no start ?

yep, it's another no start question. my car cranks but just won't start. the fuel system is good i think since i can hear it prime when i turn on the power. the battery is new, the spark plugs are new. the starter will only crank when i try to jump it. coil is good (i tested with a new one). ignition module connections are good (i tested using helms). ignition wires are good (tested with helms). what else. i guess that's it. i'm gonna replace the cap and rotor tomorrow. so what else is there? what can cause a crank but no start problem?

btw, i don't know if i checked for sparks correctly. i didn't see any sparks but i can smell fuel on them. these are new spark plugs too. so what's going on? am i doing the test wrong? let me try to get this right. take out the plug, hook it back up on the wire as normal but out of the engine, touch it to ground, crank the engine and look for a jump? maybe someone can show me the correct way to check for sparks?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: not another no start ? (joblow)

try replacing your cap and rotor. I had this problem a while back and it turned out that the center electrode on the cap wasn't making contact with the rotor. It would crank but it wouldn't start. Anyway, good luck!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Master H Technician

Default Re: not another no start ? (joblow)

my car cranks but just won't start. the starter will only crank when i try to jump it.

thanks in advance!
You just contradicted yourself... Does the starter turn over and make the ru-ru-ru noise? I would just say the cap is bad.. What plugs you got in there? BOSCH? If, BOSCH I will bet 10 bucks its the cap... Happened to mine in my wrangler... Melted the connectors holding spot and they got pushed away from the rotor.... The problem is that your plugs are good and so are the wires right? How, could you test them? If, you get a spark on each one then your distributor is fine... If some do and other dont then wires....If sll wires spark, then plugs... I none of it works cap and rotor....