Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!!

Ok so here's the run down, about 10 months ago my 94 vtec started randomly shutting down on me while slowing down to stop. I got to the point where I just decided to garage it early for the winter. Then just recently (about a month and a half ago) I was curious If charged the battery up if she'd start or not(note like a dumba** I didn't put any fuel stablizer in it so there was about 1/3 a tank of some old a** gas! To my surprise she fired right up and sat there and purred perfectly! I was so excited, I changed the oil the next day and took her on a quick spin around the block to see if it'd shut down on me again, not once, I drove it 4 or 5 more times (atleast 15 min. or 5 miles) w/ no problem, she sounded good! Then I got some FatMat deadener and decided to pamper my lude (being 14 years old now) by dampening down all her rattles and squeaks. I had it gutted to the metal and did the drivers side floor first, and had unclipped the stock wiring harness from the kick to the rear quarter but didin't unplug anything(I did have to unground the 10mm bolt holding down a pair of ground wires but I re-sanded the stock ground location/O ring w/ 80 grit and bolted it back).
The next day I went to start her up and it instantly sound like my spark plug wires are mixed up and it bogged down,rpms slowly dropped, then it died! I go to start it up again and all it does is turn over but never fires up... I've read around and these are what I came up w/ on what it might be: IACV,bad head gasket,timings off,timing belt too tight, oil pump, or knock sensor.

If anyone knows what's up or what I can do I would be greatly appreciate it! I can't afford to pay$80/hr for Honda to simply diagnose my problem, let alone fix it.

thanks
R3D

ps. I forgot to mension I also had the plugs and wires changed b4 it ever started shutting down.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!! (1LEWDh22)

dont think its your IACV
head gasket u woulda PROBABLY (note:not 100% of the time) seen in your oil if the oil was mixed w/ coolant AND oil
timing may be off, but if it fired up before, it does sound like something else
dunno what effects an overtensioned timing belt will have
oil pump- dunno
knock sensor- does your car have one? can't recall exactly. But if that's the case just siphonpump the gas out and fill the tank w/ 91 and up and see if that cures it up.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!! (dagle)

did you check if it was your alternator?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!! (dagle)

I don't think it's my alternator because it should still be able to fire up (fully charged optima redtop battery) I'm just so dumbfound on how the hell my car could go from running/starting fine to no? I checked all the plugs I moved and everything seems to be connected up just fine. Could it be my ECU? i've got a JUN tuned P13 that was bad *** back in the day when my car was running like a champ. What other things can I do to make sure it's not a simple "Oh DUH" fix.

thanx for the helpful replies!
R3D
Old 04-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Also could it be my TPS? check this out: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2192802
Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Re: (1LEWDh22)

i kindof had same problem- 95 lude with currently 98176 miles on it....i did a timing belt change and tighted my valve too tight. it would die at stop signs and sometimes when i clutched- idles like sh** also. loosened up on those a lil and it idled alot better. hasnt dies bt once since then. and i;m hoping that was a freak occurence............
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Re: (95ludeSE_bottle)

Ok well I just pulled the spark plugs and found out my spark plugs were pretty dirty and DID have a little oil on them. So I burned off all the oil and whipped them all clean, through them back in and she fired up! At first it was bogging and sounded weird but slowly I could hear the rpm's getting steadier until it was at normal Idle!!! Now, where is the OIL coming from?!?!? Leaky headgasket? I need to get this fixed so I don't keep running into this problem. Thanks again for all your help! I'll keep ya posted on what I run into.

R3D

ps, 95ludeSE_bottle-you said you loosened up which bolts to relieve tension on the timing belt?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 AM

Default Re: (1LEWDh22)

not the timing belt......the valves werent adjusted right- had to redo those. sry i shouldve been more clear.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM

Default Re: (95ludeSE_bottle)

I did something simaler to what you have done, and issues you're having sound almost like mine....

what i HAD done wrong was mix up injector one and two's wiring, both of those were getting fuel at each others intake stroke so it was all crapped out, but what I would recommend if it starts and then it dies, try a power balance and see which cylinder(s) is/are not working. and double your way back from that.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Need MAJOR help! my 4th gen won't start!!! (1LEWDh22)

UPDATE 4/9/08: I noticed when I go to start up my lude just to pull out of the garage to work on that it turns over like the battery is near dead, then slowly starts chuggin (turning over) faster until it fires up. The battery is completely charged, i've had a charger on it for 2 days now, running on 2amp deep cycle charge and I have a Red top Optima battery that's less than 2 years old.
Is my starter going bad? or my alternator? what's the deal?

R3D