Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

need 84 prelude dual carb gas tank, lines, carbs. rust rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need 84 prelude dual carb gas tank, lines, carbs. rust rebuild

so i recently acquired an 84 that prelude looks like this

anyway, it wont idle. itll rev freely, it drives and stops fine. but it refuses to idle. i called the local carb specalists, as it has dual carbs, and he told me that older honda's have a filler neck for the gas tank that rusts out. apparently, the rust gets washed into the tank and accumulates in the tank, rusting out the tank and sending the rust through the fuel pump. the rust hits the carbs and the first thing that rusts the idle valve. he said a full replacement of the fuel tank, lines, pump and possibly the carbs is nessecary. costs about 1100-1600. my question is, since accords and preludes are similar, can i use parts from an accord (gas tank, fuel pump) that are readily aviable from the aftermarket for cheap?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need 84 prelude dual carb gas tank, lines, carbs. rust rebuild (justbobagian)

those parts are body specific, they wont swap.

you first need to drain the tank and check if there is rust in it.
and if you can see rust inside the filler neck from the gas cap then there is a lifetime replacement recall at honda. should still be anyway.
as for the rest of it, the full replacement is stupid. you can send the tank out for a cleaning and coating. blow the lines out with air, change the filters (2 of them), and you will have to at least pull the idle solenoids off and clean the port out.
*if all this rust is true*.
you should grab yourself a haynes and check the idle controls first, if it is running so well otherwise, i doubt the rust exists.

as for more on the carbs i can't tell you specific. i hate those things and got rid of mine.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: need 84 prelude dual carb gas tank, lines, carbs. rust rebuild (night)

thanks for the info. im bringing the lude home and ill see what my dad can help me do. what do you mean you got rid of the carbs?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need 84 prelude dual carb gas tank, lines, carbs. rust rebuild (justbobagian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justbobagian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what do you mean you got rid of the carbs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He swapped his carb setup over to fuel injection.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 AM

oh ok. how do you go about doing that? this is my first expereience with older cars and i need the help. anything would be great
Old 12-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (justbobagian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justbobagian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh ok. how do you go about doing that? this is my first expereience with older cars and i need the help. anything would be great</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, man I don't have near enough knowledge about that subject to give you any kind of good details, but if you go to the 2nd gen forum on http://www.preludepower.com you will find some good info.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (justbobagian)

ya i put an 89 LXi accord motor in it. i am now in the middle of a B20vtec swap.
it is a lot of work in the wiring. most everything else is pretty easy, but since you are just learning this i wouldn't even think about such a thing yet. keep the modding to a minimum and get the car running good for now while you do your reading around here.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM

thanks for all the help everyone turns out the car is rusted through, and the frame is cracked. there is no tommorrow for this car. thanks though