Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

My sisters 99' lude was broken into, installed new ignition switch but it does not have the immobili

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sisters 99' lude was broken into, installed new ignition switch but it does not have the immobili

Let me start by saying I am working on my sisters 99' prelude that was broken into and her ignition switch was broken out. Someone took a flathead and a hammer and completely smashed out the stock one... Since her stock keys wont work, I sourced a new steering rack/shaft from ebay that included a new ignition, keys, and all electrical connections.

Well tonight I take out her stock steering shaft and installed the used one I got from a 97' prelude. After hooking everything back up I realize that the 97' shaft ignition does not an immobilizer on it... so I left the stock immobilizer plugged in from the old ignition and tried starting the car with the new keys. The car turns over but does not start. I even tried putting the stock keys right up next to the immobilizer and turning the key (the new keys) but still no dice!! The immobilizer box has 2 wires running to it, do you know if there is a resistor or something that can totally bypass this feature?? Maybe just splice these 2 wires together??

The wierd part is that you could start the car with a flathead screwdriver before I even started this swap and that was with the stock keys out of the car! Now that I have the 97' parts in the car it will not fire up. I'm completely mind boggled.

I understand the sensitivity of the subject due to thieves but if someone would privately answer my question I would much appriciate it. The car has 130,000 miles and were basically going to run it into the ground so I dont care about keeping the immobilizer, I just want the car to run.

Even if someone knows how to keep the immobilizer in the car and get this to work, I will just zip-tie the original stock keys somewhere on the dash so the immobilizer senses the key being there... like I said I just want this car to run... If this is too private then please email me at BrBulack@fms-na.com

For credentials, I am STR8OUT on http://www.nasioc.com/forums Used to own a WRX but now i'm in a 00' S4. Thanks Guys! -Brian
Old 10-19-2006, 05:26 AM

Default Re: My sisters 99' lude was broken into, installed new ignition switch but it does not have the immo

Anyone? I'm going back to my moms tonight to try and finish the job. ANY help is appriciated. There has got to be some easy way to get this to work with the stock keys stashed in the dash or something
Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My sisters 99' lude was broken into, installed new ignition switch but it does not have the immo

97-01 Prelude all have an immobilizer system. My 97 Prelude had an immobilizer system in it. Try and see if the person you bought the ignition switch from still has the immobilizer system.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 AM

I just emailed him... thank you.

I noticed that my sisters 99' prelude steering column also has a different ignition switch on it that integrates with the key immobilizer. There is a little spring thing that holds the pin in the immobilizer, but on the 97' I installed there is no spring or mounting screws for the immobilizer to be installed on to... everything else is the same though

this sucks