Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

major consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major consumption

let me start off by saying that i didn't do my research when i began this engine build i was a noob then...never the less there are absolutely NO LEAKS, and no blueish, greyish, whiteish, no smoking and i consume 2 to 2 1/2 quarts every 300 miles. (hardly ever in vtec)
Now my block was brand new from honda, with honda oem type s piston, eagle rods, i,h,e and skunk cam gears, apexi neo and 5 angle valve grind on intake and exhaust valves. head also has a glass bead.
Now the part i Fd up on is the rings. like i said i was a noob...i went with je rings. my mechanic doesn't thing that the rings are the problem because for the amount of consumption im having i should be smoking like crazy and im not, and if oil was getting passed the rings i would have screwed a valve by now!
i don't have enough money to deal with another shop to have it done right and he's willing to eat the labor cost and have me pay for the rings which i feel is fair! but he's swearing up and down that the rings aren't the prob. fyi he doesn't have an answere for the prob either.
what im thinking is that the rings are sealing properly thus the reasoning i don't have smoke, but obviously they aren't compatible with the sleeves. could they be creating to much heat thus burning the oil that way? im completly at a loss and this needs to get fixed now or im done with it........
lastly when my car is running u hear what sounds like to me valve tap...he's telling me that the eagle rods have floating writs pins and that's what im hearing...this is the first time i've gotten into a motor and i've learned alot but im kinda at his mercy so im comming to you guys what u think?????
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: major consumption (preludin)

do a leakdown test.

i would have never used rings not made for the pistons and/or cylinder walls you were running....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: major consumption (98vtec)

yeah unfortunately i learned about all of it afterwords yeah yeah i know but i assumed ludes were like civs and intg cause i had them before. found out the hard way they are totally diff