Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Lock Cylinder fell into door... door is locked now help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lock Cylinder fell into door... door is locked now help!

Long story short, dropped my car off at my dealer (work there) for an alignment. Got the car back, open the door (left open) and drive off home. Door light is on, window gets jammed so I roll it up and try locking the door. Eventually I get it to lock but then can't open it. I pull over and crawl out of the passenger side door. Walk around to see the lock cylinder fell into the door. I turned around and told service. Management left for the night so i'll be dealing with them tomorrow.

The issue is I need my car fixed tonight. My car goes for an inspection tomorrow and I'm flying a tuner up from Florida and he arrives Friday... Obviously my door needs to be able to open so that leaves no choice but for me to fix this tonight.

My issue is, how the **** do I open my door at this point? 4th gen 94 prelude Si (srv). If I can't open my door I can't get the door panel off. If I can't the panel off I can't access behind the panel. Need some help asap guys. PLEASE!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lock Cylinder fell into door... door is locked now help!

The cylinder should not stop you from opening it from the inside.

If it's jammed somehow get a thin piece of metal slide it between the window and seal and jimmy it around to see if you can dislodge whatever's binding.

If that don't work get a 4" holesaw and go town on the indoor panel. Reach in the door with the window up and try to put the cyinder back in place. Small price to pay but **** happens.

Otherwise, if you've got the time you might be able to get the door off its hinges by remoing the fender. I'm not sure how secure the latch is though. It might be a tenacious ******.

"If it doesn't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

Sorry chief.

-P