Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How much power can I run safely?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power can I run safely?

I have a Honda Prelude Si H22A. I have 9:0:1 Mahle Eagle Rods Pistons in it, the pistons are so you don't have to sleeve your engine and they claim you can still run high amounts of power. I am thinking about a 48-55 mm trim turbo. I know the PSI doesn't matter because high PSI on a small turbo is going to put down small numbers. And low PSI on a big turbo is going to put down big numbers. Although I do want to know how much horsepower I can run with the pistons and not sleeving the block. I might get a 255 Walbro Fuel Pump and 750cc injectors. Just want to know how much power I can put down and what can I do to reach a 450-500 horsepower mark?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How much power can I run safely?

with the H-series anytime your talking turbo or high horsepower. I would just recommend sleeving the block. No point not to spend the extra money on security, cause those FRM walls aren't very forgiving.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't listen to the person above.
Frm liners are very strong. The problem is with the ringlands
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Some people have had great success with the Mahle Gold pistons, some, not so much. It seems to be related to the care taken in honing the frm properly, and ensuring PERFECT P2W clearances.

There is a guy running an H2B civic with Mahles making 500+, and running low 10 sec passes, and he has been beating his Mahle pistons stock block for 4-5 years now with no problems.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AznBlueBoy
I have heard that you don't have to sleeve the block by several people, and have been told you do have to sleeve it.. I'm going to assume you don't if you have pistons that are made for FRM liners. I'm not even aiming at a high horsepower range anyways. 300-350 horse for my daily driver then a separate tune for race days at a higher PSI for about 450-500 horse. And what are the chance a ringland will crack or go out?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LudeBoyRoy
I have heard that you don't have to sleeve the block by several people, and have been told you do have to sleeve it.. I'm going to assume you don't if you have pistons that are made for FRM liners. I'm not even aiming at a high horsepower range anyways. 300-350 horse for my daily driver then a separate tune for race days at a higher PSI for about 450-500 horse. And what are the chance a ringland will crack or go out?

A lot of people have made over 300-350whp on a stock bottom end. Those mahle gold series pistons should be fine if you don't want to sleeve. I do suggest sleeving just in case though. Do it right or do it twice?
It really depends on your set up and tuner. Nobody can tell you when your ringlands will blow.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt totally agree with your statement
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Acidcrakker
I wouldnt totally agree with your statement
partially?
Porsche uses frm in their blocks.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The honing procedure with the mahle pistons and getting the ptw right is the biggest factor here. The oroblem is a majority of nachine shops dont carry the stone needed and their machines dont spin a rpm low enough to meet the requirements. Which in most cases i recomend sending your block out. I know golden eagle works with frm.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of people have made over 300-350whp on a stock bottom end. Those mahle gold series pistons should be fine if you don't want to sleeve. I do suggest sleeving just in case though. Do it right or do it twice?
It really depends on your set up and tuner. Nobody can tell you when your ringlands will blow.
so wait, you tell him not to listen to me....but then turn around and tell him the same thing i said to do? okay i gave a little misleading information about FRM walls but they are a pain in the ***. And i'd feel okay if he was shooting for 300-350hp with not doing **** to the block. But anything over 450-500 range why NOT sleeve the block? Even you said you can't tell when your ringlands will blow it's extra security instead of destroying everything and having to start from scratch.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BergRacing21
so wait, you tell him not to listen to me....but then turn around and tell him the same thing i said to do? okay i gave a little misleading information about FRM walls but they are a pain in the ***. And i'd feel okay if he was shooting for 300-350hp with not doing **** to the block. But anything over 450-500 range why NOT sleeve the block? Even you said you can't tell when your ringlands will blow it's extra security instead of destroying everything and having to start from scratch.

I was just disagreeing with you on the frm part. A lot of people can't afford to sleeve a block because once you get that deep, you're going to be spending about 3k for a built block instead of just bolting on a turbo kit and making 300whp.
Building a block + turbo setup is more then double and when you know your block can handle 500whp no problem, I think you end up spending more on the turbo setup too right?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just disagreeing with you on the frm part. A lot of people can't afford to sleeve a block because once you get that deep, you're going to be spending about 3k for a built block instead of just bolting on a turbo kit and making 300whp.
Building a block + turbo setup is more then double and when you know your block can handle 500whp no problem, I think you end up spending more on the turbo setup too right?
Okay, i understand where you're coming from now. I was just concerned with what horsepower he was reaching for...but you're right not everyone can afford a sleeved block. But i'm just saying it'd be risky to try to reach for 400+ without doing it. But Snobordboy says that he knows somebody running 10's for 4-5 years with over 500+ but i'd be surprised if it's never been rebuilt. So i could be wrong i've been known to be wrong before lol