Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

HELP! H23 prelude won't start....massive oil leak too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 HELP! H23 prelude won't start....massive oil leak too!!!

This may not be the place to post this but here goes nothing. I bought a 96 honda prelude si (h23a1) a couple of years ago with a blown motor. I then proceeded to put an h23a3 (European engine) into the car.... Since the car is set up for OBD2 i had to get an oil pump for a 96 with the crank shaft position sensor and also reused my original distributor....So basically just used the block/head and all my accessories and sensors. Before the original motor was every replaced it had no codes from the CEL.

After getting the motor in we were having a heck of a hard time getting it to start. When we finally did get it started and running it was throwing a P0335 (crank shaft position sensor malfunction). The sensor was believed to be good. While it was running you could not rev it over 2500 rpm and would not go over 30 when driven. From my understanding this means it has gone into limp mode. Anyways after careful inspection of the new motor in the car i was getting a lot of oil build up in cylinder number 2.

Instead of messing with this motor any farther I proceeded to buy another h23a1 block with no known problems and put my original head on it. I also bought a brand new oil pump and crankshaft position sensor. We got the motor put completely together and put it in the car... It took the car a few minutes to fire up but it fired up and sounded a little rough. We lifted the car up into the air (on a hoist) to inspect the bottom and noticed a pretty severe oil leak coming from the timing cover side of the engine. Turned the vehicle off right away and noticed there was not a CEL on at that time. The oil leak had stopped as well. Checked the oil added some more... Tried to start it again and got it to run for a couple of seconds and the CEL popped back on with the same P0335 code from the previous motor (we had cleared the computer since then). The oil only seems to leak when its running but it is a severe oil leak. It has all brand new seals and gaskets. I thought that maybe it was coming from the oil pump/balance shaft housing part...So i replaced the o-ring style seal. Turned it over a few motor times and still noticed the leak. Looking up a little higher its wet where the head meets the block by the timing cover.

By this time I'm very frustrated with this car. I then proceeded to take it to the local Honda Dealer. They came to the conclusion that the exhaust is plugged and was causing it to not run. He reset the timing to where it was right on time. They said they got it to run but was very difficult to start and it lost a huge amount of oil. They tried telling me the oil leak was coming from the rear main seal...(this is also brand new and there is no oil leaking from it). I mentioned this and they said oh well it looked a bit dirty. They were unable to tell me where the oil leak was coming from. The honda tech also checked compression before he reset the timing and he said the compression per cylinder was about a 100 psi. After checking the timing and adjusting it he rechecked it. The readingss were about 150 psi straight across the board stating that it had decent compression. He also said that i have a bottom end noise.

When i went to pick up the car i asked them to start it for me so I could hear it. He was unable to start it at that time. He also mentioned that even after adjusting the timing the CEL is still on with the same code but my sensor was doing what it was suppose to do and the computer was also doing the right thing as well. I took the car home and it has sat ever since and NO ONE has touched it since the tech at HONDA touched it. Two nights ago (it has sat for about a month now) we went to start it after unhooking the down pipe from the manifold and to check the oil leak. The car just turned over like it had absolutely no spark. Pulled a wire and checked spark. Absolutely nothing..... I took all my parts to my workand compared them to all new parts (ignition coil and distributor) after ohming them out everything matches what readings i got out of the new parts. I tried a different distributor (one that i know for a fact is good). Still no spark. I then checked to make sure i had power to the coil and then to the distributor. I have both. I checked ground as well. I have ground.

This is where I'm stuck at. I dont know where to go next with this car. if the oil leak was coming from the head gasket i would assume i would have bad/low compression. It seems to me to be coming from up higher but IDK where. it has a brand new permadry felpro valve cover gasket and so forth... If any one has any suggestions on where to start or what to try or what is wrong PLEASE respond... I am so frustrated.

Ok so other than my car not starting i have another huge issue i can't seem to get figured out... I have a horribly nasty oil leak coming from the timing side of the motor.... When the car was running it was like pissing out oil underneath the timing cover... It only does it when its running or the engine assembly is rotating. When it just sits it does nothing... I thought it was leaking from the balance shaft pulley piece so i went to honda and bought a brand new seal. Still didnt fix it... (i should mention we just put this motor together with a felpro head set) Taking a closer look at this thing its leaking higher up by where my head meets the block... on the side near the back there is a little valley and its getting a huge oil build up there and seeping down by my oil pump. here is a really crappy diagram of what im talking about...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP! H23 prelude won't start....massive oil leak too!!!

Pull head. Its more than likely warped and that caused the head gasket to leak. BTW the head gasket can leak without you seeing a loss in compression.
GL
Mike