Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

h22,Bad surging low idle, won't rev high, timing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default h22,Bad surging low idle, won't rev high, timing bad?

So I put an h22 in my integra bout 2 months ago, and this problem has been getting worse, at cold idle, it will start out high like 1600 rpms but then drop to like 1000 or 900, then when it's warm the car won't idle at all, it will drop to bout 900 for a sec then go to 500, then try to stall and die on me, and when I'm in gear cruising it seams that it's accelerating and deaccelerating for me like it's misfiring. I already cleaned my iacv, and was wondering could it be my timing? I haven't checked the timing at all even when I put the engine in, cause I don't have a timing light and don't know how to do it, yet. The enging will also not rev past 6000 it will bog and cut off, I was wondering does it sound like it's running lean or just bad timing? No cels, using p13 ecu. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: h22,Bad surging low idle, won't rev high, timing bad? (JasonST)

check the fast idle thermo valve. IT is located on the bottom of the throttle body. It has a plate on one side with i think 2 screws holding it on. remove the plate. there is a round white plastic piece that holds the metal valve in place. it is threaded on the outside. make sure it is threaded in. go all the way in, then about 3 full turns out. try it until you get it adjusted right.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22,Bad surging low idle, won't rev high, timing bad?

i am haviing a simaler problem i have a h22 swap in a 93 civic si and i am pretty sure all the vacumsr hooked up right i yous a chipped p28.it idles up and down and when i push the gas nothing happens and it back fires quit offten.could this b a problem with the resitor box i have it installed.and the ecu guy told me to run 93 i got 87 or somthin in the tank from when i did the swap but wouldnt think that would make it do this so just wondering if any ideas?no cel lights either
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason and MNS, check your TPS: Jason, check for proper calibration....MNS, check to see if yours is unplugged, broken, etc. That's step 1 for both of you.

Jason, step 2 is to verify proper base idle is set and verify your IACV system is operating properly.

MNS, if you are backfiring, I would assume (note: I am an amateur..lol) that your spark is working fine..so resistor fine. However, I would check all sensors that directly relate to fuel/spark/air/air-fuel/etc because yours sounds like a sensor is going crazy (or receiving a crazy input). Next I would check MAF wiring/operation. If both of those are fine, I would move on to the egr system. Also, verify you don't have a vac line connecting two nipples that aren't meant to be together. On my skunk2 honda, I capped off the 2 nipples on the driver's side with a connector-line....they didn't like to be connected to each other...RESULT= no power.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Trial User

Also clean out your throttle body. Sometimes the carb buildup keeps it from closing all the way causing sporadic idling