Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Getting a tune vs getting new motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a tune vs getting new motor

I'll try to keep this short. My H22A4 is at the end of its life, sadly. I guess it has been ever since I bought it (a year now) and it's been a real headache. It's never really run right. One thing after another. Anyways, I burn a lot of oil. The rings are shot. No, I'm not going to rebuild the motor. It's either buy a new one (H23A VTEC) or drive this thing into the ground and try to find something else. My question is whether or not getting a quality tune might buy me some time... put a bandaid on the wound, if you will.

I ask this because I have a chipped P72 running a tune from a local idiot on Crome. Ever since he jacked around with my car, it hasn't run right at all. I can't run the A/C in town because when I come to a stop, the car shuts off. I barely get 20mpg on a good day. And I burn oil like a madman. Sure, the oil thing might not be his fault, but the rest is. ALSO, I'm running constantly in closed or open loop, I forget which. Whichever one doesn't use the front O2 sensor at all. He couldn't figure out how to tune it with it on. So my AFRs are all over the place.

A new motor + install + Hondata S300 + tune (all from local reputable Honda shop) would cost me close to $3000. Heck, my car isn't worth much more than that. With 150k miles, would spending the $ on Hondata and that same reputable shop tune be of any help for me? At least for the time being? I know most of you are going to probably tell me to just save up for the new motor, which I have thought about. But I wonder if a good tune might be a bandaid to help me limp along for now.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a tune vs getting new motor

I say you learn to work on the car yourself and fix it right, it's a waste of money to try to build up some car that you have to pay someone else to work on it for you. You can swap the engine but you'll just end up shelling out the same amount of money eventually when problems start with the new engine.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need help with H22, Brent at PFI is the man when it comes to anything H or F... Hes up in johnstown CO. I would switch to S300 w/o a question, H22s burn oil like crazy its normal. I was going throught I think a qt every few weeks I think.. Do you drive around in Vtec alot? What year and all that good stuff??

If you have anymore questions PM me and ill intro you to Brent
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
I say you learn to work on the car yourself and fix it right, it's a waste of money to try to build up some car that you have to pay someone else to work on it for you. You can swap the engine but you'll just end up shelling out the same amount of money eventually when problems start with the new engine.
agreed try and take some time to learn how to fix items that you can. take your time and dont let it get above your head. Come here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
, H22s burn oil like crazy its normal. I was going throught I think a qt every few weeks I think.. Do you drive around in Vtec alot? What year and all that good stuff??
You should not be burning that much oil you might want to double check everything and make sure you dont have a leak somewhere or your burning oil
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
Oh I definitely know how to work on cars myself lol I've been doing it for a long time. I've helped friends rebuild a few different types of motors, and I did every single modification on my last two projects (supercharged Jeep and modded WRX). It's just that I don't have a garage or an engine hoist/lift or anything. It makes it a little harder to find a place to work on things. And I don't have all the time in the world to work on it myself. And at least if the shop does it and messes something up, I have a little bit of recourse versus me doing it and just screwing up :/ Besides, I'd still have to drive it to the tuning shop which is about 1hr from me and I don't know if it would run on the crap tuned ECU I currently have.

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
If you need help with H22, Brent at PFI is the man when it comes to anything H or F... Hes up in johnstown CO. I would switch to S300 w/o a question, H22s burn oil like crazy its normal. I was going throught I think a qt every few weeks I think.. Do you drive around in Vtec alot? What year and all that good stuff??

If you have anymore questions PM me and ill intro you to Brent
Right on, I was actually planning on PFI doing the work. They were who I talked to on the phone today and gave me those price quotes ($2k for motor install plus tuning eek). I know they know their stuff though, that's why I would trust them to do a good job. I'm in Denver actually. I don't drive around in VTEC very much at all if I can help it. Because when VTEC kicks in I feel sorry for the people behind me. It's like a diesel truck blowing smoke out of my tailpipe My car is a '98 base model. Are you in CO? Maybe you could introduce me to Brent that would be cool.