Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22b2 block+H22a1 head, F22 VTEC, F22B/VTEC

Old 04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (spirit7627)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spirit7627 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey ,I just wanted to make sure the H23/ H22 aebs head studs go into the F blocks w/o re- tapping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no retapping at all, like sam said, make sure you get the studs for the head you plan to use.. i think the h22 and h23 are different lengths,
Old 04-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well just so you know it does work.. maybe you mean pray that it lasts a while. it runs right now, and idles very smooth, and no check engine lights.

Modified by prelittlelude at 1:13 PM 4/8/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

IM DYING to see how this turns out man. If all goes well my plans have been totally altered. I have a F23 and was gonna go turbo but now this thing has gotten me all fired up. Dohc Vtec and then turbo is my new route if this turns out good. Im not looking for a H22 redline, I just want a lil more Vtec power with the addition of turbo. If im going to do this to my accord im going to need the H22 ecu and harness as well right? Would it be sort of like swapping in a H22 engine as far as the Accord guys doing it to their cars, parts wise?

The REAL truth: Im the ultimate ricer and just want DOHC VTEC with turbo under my hood.

Modified by Legendaryyaj at 8:13 PM 4/8/2004

Modified by Legendaryyaj at 8:15 PM 4/8/2004
Old 04-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prelittlelude: You said the H23 would bolt up to the F22 block with no modification ... I don't necessarily agree with this but perhaps you can give more info ..

The H23 head will bolt up to an H22 block .. and H22 head will bolt up to an H23 block .. to do the H23vtec using an H22 head on an h23 block thres no oil squirters but to my understanding all that needs to be done is pull out one oil plug to let more oil up into the head ...

Are you sure about that ?? .. Is the bore the same etc ? .. Because if this is true ... having a cheap iron sleeved H23 seems the way to go and is ghetto cheap.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Legendaryyaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legendaryyaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If im going to do this to my accord im going to need the H22 ecu and harness as well right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you were to do this, and especially since your going turbo, i wold suggest a full stand alone. you need a good way to tune and you need to be on a dyno. you can't just put the p13 ecu on and an h22 head and just go out and rip... well i guess you could but i REALLY don't recommend that. and yes you would need the h22 wireing harness. i guess we will see soon how all goes.. my turbo and injectors are on the way.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yohan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prelittlelude: You said the H23 would bolt up to the F22 block with no modification ... I don't necessarily agree with this but perhaps you can give more info ..

The H23 head will bolt up to an H22 block .. and H22 head will bolt up to an H23 block .. to do the H23vtec using an H22 head on an h23 block thres no oil squirters but to my understanding all that needs to be done is pull out one oil plug to let more oil up into the head ... .</TD></TR></TABLE>

the f22b2 block i had was the f22b2 sohc none vtec. there is also a f22b1 dohc vtec. just as the h22 and h23 share the same block so do the f22b2 and f22b1, when i removed the none vtec head there was an oil control orifice plug in the oil hole just as the h23 has one.. so i removed this plug and then the head has oil. if you look thru this thread you can find a f block side by side comparison with a h, and you can see where the oil passage is

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yohan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are you sure about that ?? .. Is the bore the same etc ? .. Because if this is true ... having a cheap iron sleeved H23 seems the way to go and is ghetto cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and to qutoe me
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. just because you putt a h22 head on this block doesn't give you the h22 redline.

2. The combustion chamber bore is BIGGER than the bore of the engine, so don't get to attached because no ones really quite sure what will happen.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

one of the 2 things that i am keeping in mind is the fact that NO the bore of the f22 is NOT the same as the bore of the combution chamber of the h22 head. and yes it is ghetto cheap .. one of the reasons i tried this.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and yes it is ghetto cheap .. one of the reasons i tried this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BUt by simply trying this, it makes you a pioneer in the prelude/accord world...using your time and money to actually do something, learning the pluses/minuses of it, and then sharing the info with the rest of the world is way better than the desktop tuners that say "dumb idea, don't do it" or "won't work, forget about it." Not that there has been a lot of that here, but you all know you've ran into at least one person like that in your past, and usually it's someone that knows nothing about what they are talking about...but you are set out to figure out the best way to make something new, and for that I give you major props!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: (spirit7627)

from cb7tuner:
Quote, originally posted by WiKKeDV16 »
but then again hes an *** for decking the block instead of just replacing the pistons.. but i doubt there was any serious issues with it..

well maybe your right.. but the bottom end of the junkyard block i got had only 60k on it, and also one of the goal in this project was to try and put the h22 head on to do what i wanted to do with the least amount of interanl work

decking the block cost me 50 bucks and got me to a 9:1 CR perfect for me to boost on. i just didn't want to/ didn't have the time to mess with the internals.. mistake maybe.. maybe not. i clayed the motor 3 times, so i know there will be no piston to valve contact, but it gives me a little less room for error, if i float a valve by over reving.

hahaha
thats me from cb7tuner.. wikkedv16.. i hope u didnt take offense to what i said.. i just felt.. it would of been easier.. but regardless.. u didnt touch ur head which is what u wanted.. so.. when will she be boosted..
Old 04-10-2004, 04:55 PM
99spanishGT

Default Re: (LEGACYF22T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LEGACYF22T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from cb7tuner:
Quote, originally posted by WiKKeDV16 »
but then again hes an *** for decking the block instead of just replacing the pistons.. but i doubt there was any serious issues with it..

well maybe your right.. but the bottom end of the junkyard block i got had only 60k on it, and also one of the goal in this project was to try and put the h22 head on to do what i wanted to do with the least amount of interanl work

decking the block cost me 50 bucks and got me to a 9:1 CR perfect for me to boost on. i just didn't want to/ didn't have the time to mess with the internals.. mistake maybe.. maybe not. i clayed the motor 3 times, so i know there will be no piston to valve contact, but it gives me a little less room for error, if i float a valve by over reving.

hahaha
thats me from cb7tuner.. wikkedv16.. i hope u didnt take offense to what i said.. i just felt.. it would of been easier.. but regardless.. u didnt touch ur head which is what u wanted.. so.. when will she be boosted.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that confused the hell out of me!!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:48 AM

aahhah.. i just copied what prelittle said.. and let him know that the person wikkedv16=legacyf22t are the same one.. and that i hope he didnt take offense to what i said..

better?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 AM

ahhh i understood it all....boost awaits in the mists....you know how it is...everything never seems to pan out when putting things together...but believe me in knowing tom...he'll be up and running soon...i mean he has to catch me
Old 04-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

OH GOOD LORD... i drove it for the first time today... unreal, i loved it, and the sound it was beatiful, its really late so i will post up the whole experience tomrrow, but for a 9:1 cr it sure did pull like crazy... the butt dyno was shitting itself the first time i hit VTEC.. post more tomorrow
Old 04-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow!!! sounds like it will work out to be pretty awesome!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ph8ed4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ph8ed4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow!!! sounds like it will work out to be pretty awesome!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah so time for an update:

well i have been racing around heckticly trying to peice together my turbo kit, and it was this weekend i tried to test fit a couple of things and founf out my turbo manifold doesn't have enough hood clearence. so i am working that out with cody..

in the mean time i figured its no good just sitting up on blocks , so i put the wheels on and tourqued a few odds and ends, and started it up.

im runing it right now with a stock p13 untuned nothing changed, and i can tell you it is a tiny bit dog ish on the low end, like bfore 3 grand, but after that its a strait charge right up to redline. i was really worried the first time i hit vtec, but man when i heard the solinod click open, the whole tone of the engine just changed and it pulled like a mother, i swear its just as fast as it used to be, if not better. i am REALLY happy with it, considering the money i spent, and it only has a 9:1 CR.

I think the plan as of right now is im going to go to a dyno to try and get a baseline pull, and maybe even mess with some ignition timing, or ill plug in my AEM EMS with their base map for a h22, and see if it gains any HP over the stock p13, i will have to find out how many pulls i can get for how much, and how much time i have. idealy i would like to do 3 runs, one just the way it is now, then one with the ignition advanced a couple or degrees (yeah lower CR) , and then one with the AEM EMS with the stock base map.

the only thing that has me wondering is, a while back when the car was stock itook the resonator out, and if i can remeber correctly it seemd the car was alittle slower in the bottom end, do you guys thing that the little lack of power in the low end is due to not having the variable intake runner length that is incorported into the stock resonator?, or just cuz of the 9:1 CR?

and yes i did throw the knock senor code, because i don't have one, but all i can say is W00t! , i can only imagin a high CR ..

i think this engine comboed with the M2f4 tranny works out nicly
Old 04-12-2004, 07:36 AM

That's awesome man
Makes me feel better about my low CR until I boost too...
Any chance for some pics of the motor in the car???
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the plan as of right now is im going to go to a dyno to try and get a baseline pull, and maybe even mess with some ignition timing, or ill plug in my AEM EMS with their base map for a h22, and see if it gains any HP over the stock p13, i will have to find out how many pulls i can get for how much, and how much time i have. idealy i would like to do 3 runs, one just the way it is now, then one with the ignition advanced a couple or degrees (yeah lower CR) , and then one with the AEM EMS with the stock base map.

and yes i did throw the knock senor code, because i don't have one, but all i can say is W00t! , i can only imagin a high CR ..

i think this engine comboed with the M2f4 tranny works out nicly</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should see how much it is to rent it for 1 hr w/wb o2...you know when you get it on there youll start to want to make changes. and if you plan on driving it at all, i suggest you tune it w/the aem...even if you do it yourself.....

the knock sensor will cause it to retard timing greatly, causeing you to bog in the lower rpm...

and i think it would like the m2b4 tranny better
Old 04-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam1am26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam1am26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Any chance for some pics of the motor in the car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ooooh, those pics make me all fuzzy feeling inside!!
Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastludeh22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastludeh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you should see how much it is to rent it for 1 hr w/wb o2...you know when you get it on there youll start to want to make changes. and if you plan on driving it at all, i suggest you tune it w/the aem...even if you do it yourself.....

the knock sensor will cause it to retard timing greatly, causeing you to bog in the lower rpm...

and i think it would like the m2b4 tranny better </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you think that is the reason im bogging so much in the low end,, i wonder if it will work if i just plug the knck sensor in and just leave it hanging there, or what. you know i would really love to plug a knock sensor into an ossiliscope and see what it sees, if its a wave form or a steady voltage.. i hear all kinds of stuff from it being a microphone, to it just outputs a voltage.

yeah i really want to get this on a dyno, its gonna be fun..

..so does anyone else have plans for this kind of experimental setup?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think that is the reason im bogging so much in the low end,, i wonder if it will work if i just plug the knck sensor in and just leave it hanging there, or what. you know i would really love to plug a knock sensor into an ossiliscope and see what it sees, if its a wave form or a steady voltage.. i hear all kinds of stuff from it being a microphone, to it just outputs a voltage.

yeah i really want to get this on a dyno, its gonna be fun..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it has something to do w/it. to what effect, im not sure. i would wrap it in some kind of soft wrap, like when you get new pistons, plug it up and mount it to something so it doesnt "knock around"

i think ALOT of it has to do w/the fueling issues being different then the p13. its lowered compression, smaller displacement. its probly running rich and retarted.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do...but its going to be after i finish my current projectS!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 PM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhhhh.... HELL YEA MAN!!! I just need some help cuz i have no experience with tearing apart a engine and building it. I was planning on just turboing my F23a1 but this has since delayed my turbo plans. Im looking more into of boost with this head swap. Same setup as you basically. You are my new idol man! I hope u can help me out in the future. Only thing that is stopping me from purchasing a head is im waiting to see if this actually runs and lasts. I dont want to throw all this money into it and not have it be reliable or last. I DO NOT plan on running to the Prelude redline. Sohc Accord VTEC just doesnt do it for me.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:59 PM

</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is a definite possibility...
Old 04-12-2004, 08:27 PM

Well i started reading this thread from the beginning to gain some knowledge but my mind isnt this far yet. I barely understandmost of whats going on in here.

as for this:

someone should ship me an f23 block, id love to toy with one.. it would be interesting to make a iron sleved 97mm h22 stroker hybrid.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you find a f23a1 and not a4 around your area for a good price, let me know and i will pay for it for you to tinker with. I am seriously considering this but again, I am not to the level of tearing apart a engine and building it. Only thing about the deal is its mine after you get done playing with it and it all works out. If it blows, I am willing to take a lost. Of course i will pay you money on top if it if it does work out. I just want the block prepped and ready for the swap of the H22 head.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legendaryyaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i started reading this thread from the beginning to If you find a f23a1 and not a4 around your area for a good price, let me know and i will pay for it for you to tinker with. I am seriously considering this but again, I am not to the level of tearing apart a engine and building it. Only thing about the deal is its mine after you get done playing with it and it all works out. If it blows, I am willing to take a lost. Of course i will pay you money on top if it if it does work out. I just want the block prepped and ready for the swap of the H22 head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this took tom a long time to put together between gathering all the pieces and making them fit, this is a custom setup that a lot of work went into...i doubt tom has the time to build another one for a mere price...half the time he's too busy to even post

and tom for the knock sensor we could always tap one of the a/c or alt studs as a temp use...
Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Legendaryyaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you find a f23a1 and not a4 around your area for a good price, let me know and i will pay for it for you to tinker with. I am seriously considering this but again, I am not to the level of tearing apart a engine and building it. Only thing about the deal is its mine after you get done playing with it and it all works out. If it blows, I am willing to take a lost. Of course i will pay you money on top if it if it does work out. I just want the block prepped and ready for the swap of the H22 head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well belive it or not there is not much modification that needs to be done to the engine it self,

when i did mine i had to swap everything from a h22 block to the bare f22 block i hade, ut with you , you don't need to swap anything out, just leave the engine in the car but pull the head off,

the only custom things you will have to worry about is the head gasket porting which is easy if you have a dremel, then getting the 2 plugs made for the oil ports on the h22 head and change the pully on your water pump

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this took tom a long time to put together between gathering all the pieces and making them fit, this is a custom setup that a lot of work went into...i doubt tom has the time to build another one for a mere price...half the time he's too busy to even post

and tom for the knock sensor we could always tap one of the a/c or alt studs as a temp use...</TD></TR></TABLE>

this did take a while to do mainly because its never been done, but i am willing to help people out, .. and i guess i could help build one, but i would have to crunch some numbers and see what the CR would come out to if you just slaped a stock head on the f23 block.. you might end up with a good CR for boost with no modifications, but im not sure.. you could always buy an h22 head and posibly have it milled,

i mean i would be willing to build one for you but, time and shipping costs may be an issue, its really not that hard, i think you have the capabilities to do it yourself, all you need is a manual. but give me some time and let me get to the dyno and i will see how all works out.

rob - i would want the knock sensor somewhere as close to the top of the blocvk right in the middle of the cyclinders... or heres another idea, plug in AEM EMS and **** the knock sensor.

but yeah with the 5 major things in my life leaves little time....: sleep, girl, friends, car, work

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastludeh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i do...but its going to be after i finish my current projectS!</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh this always interests me what are your projects?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh this always interests me what are your projects? </TD></TR></TABLE>

main one is my h22.
90 mm 9:1 endyne rollerwaves.
eagle rods/arp bolts.
fully studded.
full .5mm oversized ferria valvetrain
crower 2t turbo cams (thanks sam)
hondata
t3/t04s 60-1 .70 a/r compressior .82 a/r tubine
spearco intercooler
custom n2o intercooler sprayer
custom direct port n2o plate (still deciding if i should use this)

many many many little things that would take too long to list....those pics in my other theard is the block...i have 10 days to build it, break it in, and tune it to the sound off 500+whp...(not ness. in that order)

also have a 80 camaro t-tops, 26k ori. mi. fully built 350.

and a 90 acura integra w/a b18 in the trunk(yes its going up front....someday)

plus my gf's integra is about to need some damn work....

btw-i work 50 hr.'s a week

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F22b2 block+H22a1 head, F22 VTEC, F22B/VTEC