Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Emergency Brake Cable? Caliper? Or both?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Cable? Caliper? Or both?

We have a 2000 SH type and this morning the emergency brake would not release. By the time I got home this afternoon it was released. I took the rear wheels off to inspect. What I found is that the left rear emergency brake would not engage. I suspected it was the cable even though when we pulled the lever I could see the cable flexing. I removed the pin from the caliper and tried to move the cable. The cable end did not move when disconnected. I then tried to engage the parking brake by putting a pair of pliers around lever on caliper and attempting to move it down as if it had pressure from the cable. This did not engage the brake. So I am led to believe that the cable and the caliper need to be replaced. Do you agree or disagree. Can you engage parking brake by moving caliper lever as the cable would?

My son just told me tonight that the parking brake has not held the car for some time. I guess it is possible that the drivers side has not functioned for some time and it was the passenger side that was locked up this morning. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emergency Brake Cable? Caliper? Or both?

it is hard to engage the e brake manually, leverage with screwdriver helps. I would guess it is a seized caliper. Try to compress the piston on it (rotate).
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by preludeNApower
it is hard to engage the e brake manually, leverage with screwdriver helps. I would guess it is a seized caliper. Try to compress the piston on it (rotate).
I am not familiar with internal workings of caliper. The main piston is not seized it works perfect with the pedal. I am only having trouble with the e-brake on that caliper. Have you ever rebuilt that portion of the caliper?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flyinfree
I am not familiar with internal workings of caliper. The main piston is not seized it works perfect with the pedal. I am only having trouble with the e-brake on that caliper. Have you ever rebuilt that portion of the caliper?
all the ebrake does is rotate the piston to compress it. when you pull the cable it is turning the piston. so your prolly lookin at the cable being a problem
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can download the helms manual for free, and See if it doesn't have a diagnostic procedure for this. You can find it on manualspace.com. Before you start hands on checking things everyone should question the problem and take a look at this before. It's what real professional technicians even have to do