Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Discussion: How would you build an H22a1 block/head?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discussion: How would you build an H22a1 block/head?

Ok... The block is h22a1. Just a FYI, I am asking this because I have a h22a1 with a spun main bearing, and I am considering options for the rebuild. I only like to do this much work ONCE. I am considering a turbo build so I can hang with my friend...lol

Anyway. If you had an h22a1 block/head, how would you build it? For your build, specify Turbo/nonturbo, best brands, worst brands, what to upgrade, what can stay stock.

For broke people like myself, available stock parts for re-use are:

USDM p13
p72 chipped with hondata s300
H22 5speed transmission
all external parts to make a running motor (alt, ac, ps, vtec stuff, dizzy, etc)

H22a1 block (spun main bearing...all else looks good)
H22a1 head (stock, assuming the spun bearing hasn't damaged it somehow)
H22a1 is equipped with a skunk2 intake manifold/tb

JDM H22a block (thrown rod out bottom, and probably spun bearings..good pistons??)
JDM H22a head (stock, assuming the thrown rod/spun bearing hasn't damaged it somehow)

Anyway, these are the parts that I have laying around and I will probably not be wasting money to replace anything that is still good. I plan to use the skunk2 intake/tb, p72 with s300 hondata, h22a1 block....

The question remains: How would you rebuild the motor? Turbo/nonturbo and what internals??
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion: How would you build an H22a1 block/head?

And, of course, feel free to comment on what NOT to use :D
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're killing us. First, you say you don't want to spend the money on new bearings/seals/rings, and now you're considering going turbo. A properly rebuilt engine is going to cost money. If you want any amount of power increase, that's going to cost even more money.

My suggestion is to not post anymore threads, and read through some of the builds that people have already done. There are several builds/threads asking this same question.

If you're going to build it to make more power you'll want to invest into quality parts like OEM Honda Bearings and what not. Hondata s300 is a great place to start with the p72 ecu, along with the skunk2 IM and TB.

My question is why would you want to turbo the h22 when you already have an rb20det? Those things come straight from the factory loving a little boost. H22's will take some work to get there, but it's do-able.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gjlude
You're killing us. First, you say you don't want to spend the money on new bearings/seals/rings, and now you're considering going turbo. A properly rebuilt engine is going to cost money. If you want any amount of power increase, that's going to cost even more money.

My suggestion is to not post anymore threads, and read through some of the builds that people have already done. There are several builds/threads asking this same question.

If you're going to build it to make more power you'll want to invest into quality parts like OEM Honda Bearings and what not. Hondata s300 is a great place to start with the p72 ecu, along with the skunk2 IM and TB.

My question is why would you want to turbo the h22 when you already have an rb20det? Those things come straight from the factory loving a little boost. H22's will take some work to get there, but it's do-able.
I posted this thread because I am actually considering your advice. I still don't waaaannnt to spend a whole lot of money, but I am considering upgrading anything that has to be replaced.

I still don't want to take out my block and resleeve it, so I am stuck with the FRM's and of course that is a great debate about compatibility. I am looking for h22-specific recommendations: stay stock, replace with oem stuff, upgrade anything, what not to put in the h22??

It would be great if I was rich. I could ask "what is the dream build", but I am asking what others would do if they had my parts.

--TJ
Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In your situation, I would simply get a bearing set, and put new main bearings in the USDM H22. There is too much that could be wrong with the engine that "threw" a rod.

Second option would be get a used jdm longblock, and just swap the im and such and drop it in and run.

Third, mainly due to time and possible errors in it, would be to pull the spun bearing engine out, go through it all, new bearings seals rings etc, get a set of good jdm or type s pistons, and jdm cams. put it together fresh, and go. This is also an option you can do after dropping a runner into the car to keep driving it.

I basically did 2 of the 3 last year. I have a stock jdm engine that I use as my "backup" to keep my car mobile, but I built a my fun engine to race, damaged it a little, and am going through it again making it better this year. This is not cheap, and it it takes alot of time too, doing the work yourself or farming it out.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I had my prelude, my h23 cylinder walls were scored and I was burning through a quart of oil every 500 miles. So, I bought a JDM longblock and swapped it in myself. The toal was $2000 after engine, new seals/gaskets, water pump, timing belt, cheap megan header, clutch, ecu, and a couple of other maintenance items.

Looking back with what I know now, I could have built a pretty sweet N/A motor for that amount doing all the work myself. It wouldn't have been fast by any means, but definitely faster then a stock H22.

I say all that to say this. If this isn't your daily driver, take the engine out, learn everything there is to know about the engine, and build it slowly and properly. Then you'll have learned alot and saved alot. just my 2 cents.

With your low budget (just like mine), I like his option of type-s pistons, cams, and a tune, and be done. But do what pleases you, not what everybody else says. Figure out what your power goals are and decide what direction you want to go and stick with it.

I'm in the process of building a high compression f23a1/f22a6 n/a motor, and my time frame is infinite right now. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about properly building engines. My budget is super low because my money is going towards living and school. So, don't get discouraged!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjlude
You're killing us. My suggestion is to not post anymore threads, and read through some of the builds that people have already done.

This is seriously how you feel its best to help the user

If you're going to build it to make more power you'll want to invest into quality parts like with the skunk2 IM and TB.

With this comment you can clearly see that your not helping the user at all. Dont just throw names out there that you think will work
to the op i would look at getting new bearing getting a euro-r manifold which has been proven to make more low to mid range more power and a regular 68mm tb and a decent rep header. Make sure you tune because that will assist you in making more power. If you have some extra money left over that you would like to spend make get some new injectors RC or another manufacture and tune with e85 which will also help with power
Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd just scrap em both and pick a new long block up from hmotorsonline.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30029

then bump it to a 2.5 and sleeve it (darton)

and pick up some wiseco pistons and eagle rods through a sponsor on HT for a good price

on a personal level i feel like Skunk2 and Garrett is pretty overrated...

the best think you can do is sit in front of your computer screen and do research.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazes
to the op i would look at getting new bearing getting a euro-r manifold which has been proven to make more low to mid range more power and a regular 68mm tb and a decent rep header. Make sure you tune because that will assist you in making more power. If you have some extra money left over that you would like to spend make get some new injectors RC or another manufacture and tune with e85 which will also help with power
Seriously or not, information is out there faster than we can respond. I'm only suggesting we limit the same thread started over and over to help consolidate information so that way people in the future don't have to search forever. That's just my personal opinion about resourceful organization. Also, the user has posted a couple other threads in which I've done my best to help in what ways I can, so let's review the whole story before jumping to conclusions.

Second, you combined two sentences (twice) that I didn't combine misrepresenting what I was saying...that's a no-no. He has mentioned several times that he doesn't want to spend any extra money at all, and merely that manifold and throttle body is a place to start. Never did I just throw a name out.

You're right, if he wants proven power, go buy a euro-r manifold, but if all he has is that skunk2 mani and tb - you can use that all day for free.

Last edited by gjlude; 03-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.