Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

DIRTYsouthBB6's guide to selecting tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIRTYsouthBB6's guide to selecting tools

DIRTYsouthBB6’s GUIDE TO TOOL SELECTION

As automotive enthusiasts, we have definitely spent our fair share of time beneath the hoods of our cars, trucks, vans, etc. Most of the time, we find that we spend these numerous hours in the presence of tools, with the ambition of fixing a problem, attempting to fix a problem, diagnosing an issue, customizing an aspect of the vehicle, and/or altering something that the manufacturer has created and issued. With that said, it is safe to say that most automotive enthusiasts ( whether they be do-it-yourself shadetree mechanics or professional automotive technicians ) need tools from time to time. I have spent numerous years as an employee or manager at automotive parts stores and dealerships, so I’ve seen and had experience with the use of tools and the process of purchasing them. Here’s what I have learned ( and now advise ) about selecting and buying tools.

Where do I start?

If you have never purchased a tool set before, or have never owned or had access to tools before, you may be confused as to what tools you should purchase. From what I have experienced, putting-together a tool collection is like learning to walk… you start with baby steps. The first thing to do is analyze your needs and what you plan to use your tools for. Doing this will help you to decide what tools to purchase and when to purchase them. Here are some examples of situation analyses…

1. David is a college student that enjoys working on his Honda during his free time. He is able to do tasks such as installations of cool-air intakes and spark plugs, and he also likes to do his own oil changes whenever possible.

a. Knowing what we know about David, he is a moderately-skilled mechanic. He spends the majority of his time doing small tasks out of his garage at home. However, he doesn’t have the know-how or time to tear-down and rebuild and engine or change a lower control arm. With that said, it makes sense that David would invest his money in a variety of hand tools, a floor jack, and possible a mallet to hit the end of his wrench with when he encounters a stubborn bolt or nut. Since he has moderate mechanical abilities, he may need things such as hexhead wrenches and torx-head wrenches for tasks such as replacing light bulbs. Since most of his tools are small in size, he doesn’t need a large tool box to store them in, though it wouldn’t hurt to have one.

2. Mark is a twenty-year automotive technician at a local Ford dealership. He specializes in suspension repair, but is very good at other areas as well. He spends most of his time in the heavy-line area of the shop.

a. Knowing that Mark spends a lot of time working on heavy-duty parts such as suspension components, it is safe to say that he needs more than a box-ended wrench to do his job properly. Mark would invest in products such as torque wrenches, impact sockets, air ratchets, and impact drivers. If his employer does not provide an air compressor for him, he would need one of those too ( if he plans on using his air tools ). Also, keep in mind that his tools are relatively large in size, meaning that he may need a larger tool box to store them in.

What brand do I buy?

If you have ever spent any time in a professional automotive facility, you will notice that most technicians swear by one brand: Snap-on. While I have never owned a Snap-on product ( except a t-shirt ), I feel quite comfortable saying that they are probably the best tools available for purchase by the average person. Knowing this, most overzealous automotive enthusiasts jump on the Snap-on bandwagon and get themselves into thousands of dollars of debt. With that known, keep this mind: just because Snap-on products are the best choice for a professional mechanic does not mean that they are the best choice for everyone. Here are some things to consider when selecting a brand of tool.

1. What if it breaks?

a. When is the last time that you saw a Snap-on truck stop by a neighborhood street corner and set-up shop for residents to come out of their driveways and buy products from them? The bottom line is this: big-name tools such as Snap-on and Mac Tools are hard to find at local hardware stores and retailers. With that said, if a tool from one of these manufacturers were to break, you’d have to exert a lot of effort, and have a lot of patience, to have it replaced. On the other hand, a lifetime-warrantied tool such as Kobalt or Husky could be replaced in a matter of less than one hour by simply running to your nearest Home Depot or Lowe’s and swapping it out. If you work at a professional repair facility, then exchanging a Snap-on or Mac product isn’t a big deal at all, because Snap-on trucks stop by these places regularly. However, if you do all of your work out of your garage or driveway, you may want to consider this.

2. Is it necessary?

a. As a technician at Honda, I always got a kick out of watching my fellow lube/maintenance technicians spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on Snap-on and Mac products. In my opinion, it is unnecessary to indebt yourself thousands of dollars when you need your tools for little more than oil changes and radiator flushes. However, to each his own.

3. Will the tools pay for themselves?

a. In many cases, automotive technicians are very well-paid for what they do. With that said, it makes more sense for a professional mechanic to invest money in big-name products. When you work on vehicles for a living, you are expected to be able to perform your tasks in a reasonable amount of time. With this said, the last thing that you need is for a vital tool in your set to break on you at a bad time. This knowledge influences many professional technicians to sensibly invest a lot of money in quality tools such as Snap-on and Mac.

4. Don’t buy crap.

a. There are a lot of quality tools available on the market today. However, no matter what level of mechanical ability you have, you don’t want to throw money away. I have learned in the past that Wal-Mart tools ( from manufacturers such as Stanley and Task Force ) will break even when not exposed to stressful situations. While some of these may be lifetime-warrantied, it is a pain in the *** to constantly have to exchange tools, especially when you have to exchange one in the middle of a project.

b. There are a lot of great tools available for purchase. These brands include Craftsman, Kobalt ( one of my favorite manufacturers ), Matco, Husky, and Husky Pro ( my choice of hand tools ). Just because you can not afford Snap-on or Mac products does not mean that you can’t have a good set of professional-quality tools. While I would not go as far to say that a Kobalt product is as dependable as a Mac product, I would go as far as to say that the two are very tough, and that either are good choices.

What kind of tool box should I buy?

One of the most treasured possessions of any mechanic is his or her tool box. In some cases, people will spend as much as $12,000.00 on a tool box that they rarely use. Why would they do that you ask? The answer is simple… it is their box dammit!

Selecting a tool box is like selecting a tool… you must first analyze your needs and go from there. Here are some issues to consider.
1. How big are my tools ( hee hee that sounded bad didn’t it )?

a. If you have a lot of tools that are relatively large in size ( torque wrenches, impact drivers, breaker bars, etc. ), then you will probably want a box with a small number of large drawers. Also, keep in mind that bigger tools are usually heavier, so you might want a box that is made of a thicker-gauge steel than normal. On the other hand, if you own a collection of small hand tools that do not weigh much, then you probably want a box that contains many smaller-sized drawers.

2. How specific do I want to get with my organization of my tools?

a. If you are like me, then you like to be very specific with your tools and their storage. For example, I like to dedicate an entire drawer to nothing but Phillips-head screwdrivers, another for flat-head screwdrivers, another for ¼-inch drive sockets, etc. With this said, I would want a box that has A LOT of small drawers. However, if you are the type that prefers to have several different kinds of tools categorized very generally, then you may not need a box with as many drawers as I would. However, since you are piling more tools into one drawer than I would be, then you may want a box with larger-sized drawers.

3. Don’t buy crap.

a. Before I purchased my current box, I had a $40.00 chest from Wal-Mart. One day, I was laying on my back removing my front bumper cover, and my torque wrench was in my way. I picked it up and tossed it onto the top of my box, only to have the entire thing collapse and dump six drawers of tools onto me. It hurt. Lesson of this story: don’t buy junk. While you may not want to spend $6,000.00 ( or may not need to spend that much ) on a Snap-on box, there is no reason that you can’t have a professional-quality box and still have money in your wallet.

4. Where will my box be stored at?

a. If you are planning to store your tool box in an install bay that sees a lot of sunlight, or inside an open-ended carport, then you may not want to buy a red tool box. After all, there is nothing worse than watching your multi-thousand dollar investment turn pink after three months. However, if you keep your box inside an enclosed garage all of the time, then you do not have to worry about it fading.

Many people buy huge multi-thousand-dollar tool boxes right off the bat, and justify it by saying that they want a lot of room for storage when they expand their tool collection in the future. However, what these people do not realize is that most “ big “ tool boxes are really an assortment of smaller chests that are designed to be stacked together. With that said, there is no need to buy more room than what you need. Modern boxes are designed to be added-to and expanded-upon as your collection of tools grows.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well that was pointless
Old 09-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read it . My toolbox goes against the list though. I bought a set of impact sockets for $4 at BigLots a few months ago and they're yet to fail me, and I've put them on the end of an impact several times
Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I grew up with the awesome advantage of having a dad who had his own shop for like 20 years. So I have about $30k of snap on beauty at my disposal.

It never fails you unless you misuse it, but a close runner-up is craftsman, i dont spend more than $20 on anything else, the ONLY time i'll ever buy harbor-freight kinda crap is when its either something like and engine lift and it would just cost way too much to get a good brand, or its something i only expect to last through one job, like most of their air tools

good post though
Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: DIRTYsouthBB6's guide to selecting tools (DIRTYsouthBB6)

Like mgags, the step dad has every known expensive specialized tool, and I have the minor things (like David in your guide). When it's time to do major car work, I drive down south to his house.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That was a pretty good read.

I usually read the manual on the job I am about to do and then go buy the tools I'm going to need for that job. If I spent $20,000 on tools I didn't need I would have to call myself an idiot...seems like such a waste of $$$.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe thats how my dad ended up accumulating all the stuff he has, 20 years of shop work is a lot of special tools.....
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It never fails you unless you misuse it, but a close runner-up is craftsman</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually prefer Husky Pro Series and Kobalt over Craftsman, but that's just me..
Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DIRTYsouthBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRTYsouthBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I actually prefer Husky Pro Series and Kobalt over Craftsman, but that's just me..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a set of craftsman and they're not bad, actually they're really good. All of their stuff comes with a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks you simply stop by a SEARS or OSH and they give you a new one.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good read, specially for those that have not done work in the industry before.

the last shop i was at had access to Mac, Snap-On and Cornwell tools, but the Cornwell guy was the only one to come in regularly, so he won our business. While i was there I bought Cornwell and Snap-On, but when I am independant its mroe the Kobalt and Craftsman.....
Old 09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (khalal538)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the last shop i was at had access to Mac, Snap-On and Cornwell tools, but the Cornwell guy was the only one to come in regularly, so he won our business. While i was there I bought Cornwell and Snap-On, but when I am independant its mroe the Kobalt and Craftsman.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or a rebuilt one, until you break two of those also, then they finally take one off the shelf and give you a new one but heck ya, I still love my craftsman stuff

K
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff
Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIRTYsouthBB6's guide to selecting tools (prelude1897)

Snap On and Craftsmen tools only for me....love the quality and warranty. Snap-On distribution center is like 3 blocks away from my brothers house.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:16 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Slatelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slatelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or a rebuilt one, until you break two of those also, then they finally take one off the shelf and give you a new one but heck ya, I still love my craftsman stuff

K</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i hate getting a rebuidl cause half of those i have to take back soon anyway, the stuff that lasts longest is right off the sehlf, and its best when a newb does the exchange cause they usually let me pick....and of course i pick something much more expensive than i had originally bought.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually bought a tool box last week. I was going to buy a used Snap-on, but I came across this Kobalt one at Lowe's that I liked better...

It was all brushed stainless steel with ball-bearing drawers and some really high-quality ball-bearing casters. I looked hard at the Snap-on catalog, but I couldn't find anything other than painted finishes. That;s why I went with the Kobalt instead.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha that was way too much reading, but i'll go ahead and add that some tools you can't afford to skimp on, such as torque wrench, jack and like ionno, flare nut wrenches etc. and there's nothing better than have a dope set of tools that your buddies go apeshit over when they stop by
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundbomber)

Is there an advanced write-up for more highly skilled? Good job!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundbomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundbomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll go ahead and add that some tools you can't afford to skimp on, such as torque wrench, jack and like ionno, flare nut wrenches etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you shouldn't skimp on condoms either
Old 09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey dudes, sorry tobump an old thread, but I did some more research and came-across some more information that could be helpful...

I have actually learned that Snap-on manufactures and distributes Kobalt Tools ( the main brand sold at Lowe's ). According to an official at Snap-on, the Kobalt Tools tools are made in the same plant as the Snap-on tools, and are made by the same people. The only difference between the Snap-on tools and the Kobalt tools is the heat-treatment process and overall design.

Furthermore, Stanley Tools is the manufacturer of Mac Tools, Husky, Husky Pro, and ( until 1994 ) Craftsman. After 1994, Craftsman tools were made by another company that out-bid Stanley for the contract from Sears. This is why Husky dealers exchange broken Craftsman tools for Husky ones.

Stanley also manufactures Mac Tools at the same plant as Husky and Husky Pro tools. According to an employee of Stanley Tools that I spoke with on an online forum, the Mac and Husky tools are made from the exact same molds.

The company that now makes Craftsman tools also makes Matco Tools, which is the third-largest player in the professional automotive industry ( behind Mac and Snap-on ).
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM

^interesting read.

i usually buy craftsman for my local needs. but again, i think i'm one of the lucky ones too. dad owns a hanger so that means i get access to all the tools for airplanes/jets. and a really big work environment. only problem is its 330 miles away and there is no jack there. but i've got access to almost everything else.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRTYsouthBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey dudes, sorry tobump an old thread, but I did some more research and came-across some more information that could be helpful...

I have actually learned that Snap-on manufactures and distributes Kobalt Tools ( the main brand sold at Lowe's ). According to an official at Snap-on, the Kobalt Tools tools are made in the same plant as the Snap-on tools, and are made by the same people. The only difference between the Snap-on tools and the Kobalt tools is the heat-treatment process and overall design.

Furthermore, Stanley Tools is the manufacturer of Mac Tools, Husky, Husky Pro, and ( until 1994 ) Craftsman. After 1994, Craftsman tools were made by another company that out-bid Stanley for the contract from Sears. This is why Husky dealers exchange broken Craftsman tools for Husky ones.

Stanley also manufactures Mac Tools at the same plant as Husky and Husky Pro tools. According to an employee of Stanley Tools that I spoke with on an online forum, the Mac and Husky tools are made from the exact same molds.

The company that now makes Craftsman tools also makes Matco Tools, which is the third-largest player in the professional automotive industry ( behind Mac and Snap-on ).</TD></TR></TABLE>

CORRECTION:

Kobalt used tobe made by the J. E. Williams Company ( the same company that manufactures Snap-on tools ). However, around 2001, that changed. The quote that I mentioned above was a bit on the outdated side.

Kobalt tool boxes are now made by Waterloo.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

My fiance's dad has owned his own shops & mobile mechanic business for 20+ years so I have access to lots, but I am building my own collection. Good info for people that are new to this I guess.