Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

could a bad starter cause problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could a bad starter cause problems?

well my starter is messed up. i cranked it while the car was on >< stupid me

but anyways, sometimes the car doesn't start very good anymore so could this cause problems with my vtec? i had another thread on this but what problems could a bad starter cause and what could cranking the engine while the car was already on possible damage?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: could a bad starter cause problems? (AznBlueBoy)

Explain the starting problems
Old 05-25-2004, 05:38 AM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cranking while the engine on gets that nasty "grinding" noise which is basically the starter gear grinding against the moving flywheel. yes it can damage it.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could a bad starter cause problems? (Kal)

basically it doesnt start up all the time
i have to crank it a second time to get it started and usually the second time it starts up RIGHT AWAY but the first time it would be cranking like the car won't start or sometimes it starts and dies out. It doesn't start up all the way. But yeah that's the problem so could that cause damage to anything else on the car besides just the starter? like performance?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AznBlueBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">basically it doesnt start up all the time
i have to crank it a second time to get it started and usually the second time it starts up RIGHT AWAY but the first time it would be cranking like the car won't start or sometimes it starts and dies out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you mean sometimes it catches, but then shudders and stalls out?
Like maybe when your fuel tank is low, or it's hot out and you release the pressure in your tank? If so, it sounds like a problem I sometimes have after I fill my car up on a hot day. Basically I have to cycle the fuel pump on a couple times to build pressure.
If the starter was damaged I'd think it would just be worn or broken teeth. It's then possible that the second crank would start it up because the gap in the teeth (whether in the starter or flywheel) had been moved. You'd just hope that one day you wouldn't line up the gaps precisely where the starter just spins without touching the wheel. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't even know if I do.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AznBlueBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">basically it doesnt start up all the time
i have to crank it a second time to get it started and usually the second time it starts up RIGHT AWAY but the first time it would be cranking like the car won't start or sometimes it starts and dies out. It doesn't start up all the way. But yeah that's the problem so could that cause damage to anything else on the car besides just the starter? like performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a recall on all 5th Gen Prelude ignition switches... Take it to the dealership and tell them you screwed up your starter trying to crank your car with the POS faulty ignition switch
Old 05-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could a bad starter cause problems? (Nocturnal)

unfortunately my car is a 4th gen vtec

but yeah Jagan, it kind of catches and then stalls out but it's only on a cold start
if the cars hot, it starts up with no problems.

should i just go to the wrecker and get another one?

how hard is it to install?

and again, could this affect performance?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wont affect vtec at all, however it might slightly throw off the balance of your rotating assembly, but it sounds like you might have broken off some teeth on the flywheel or starter gear, the starter is extremely easy to change, and there is a little rubber gromet you can pop out and look inside and see if you can see any broken teeth, you can turn the motor at the crank pulley and just check and see if anything looks broken