Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Cop messed up the date on a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 05:20 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cop messed up the date on a ticket

I know this isn't a place for legal advice, but hey I thought you guys could help. I got a ticket in my prelude for no insurance/registration, but the cop wrote the date on the ticket one month previous to the correct date, and I didn't even have the car then. Also I was literally on my way home from the DMV where they told my I had to get the car smogged to get it registered. Just wondering if I have any leighway to fight this. I already continued it once because the judge said I need some special registration just to go to DMV and I didn't know if he was bullsh*tting or not. Thanks for any good a dvice.
Old 05-28-2001, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cop messed up the date on a ticket (D-Day)

I know a lot of people think when the police write the wrong info on their ticket that it means it gets dismissed or something. WRONG. Imagine how it would sound if you tried to sell that to the judge.. "your honor, I was driving without registration, but when the police officer stopped me, he made a typo on the ticket and put down the wrong day, so I should get off."

That does not work. Besides, the cop will just say he made a mistake, and the judge will correct it on the ticket in court and you're still screwed.

You would have more credibility with the court if you advised them of the mistake, had them correct it, and then argued *valid* reasons why you are not guilty.

the problem with traffic infractions is that they are sooooo hard to win. All the cop has to show is that you did it. Whether you meant to do it or not is totally irrelevant for traffic cases. It's not like a murder case where the DA has to show that you had some sort of mental state and intended to do a bad thing. IF you did it, innocently or not, you're guilty. That's just how it is.

They are referred to as general intent crimes. Basically, if you weren't sleepwalking or unconscious, you had enough intent as far as the judge is concerned.

Sometimes a judge will allow you to plead guilty to a lesser offense. Usually showing how diligent you were in rectifying the problem can help. If you have subsequently registered your car, you might try telling the judge how you were leaving the DMV, on your way to get the smog when you got the ticket. then you subsequently got the registration, you have fixed the situation and was wondering if you could plead guilty to "not having your registration paperwork WITH you" instead of not having it at all, or something related to it but not as bad....

usually judges show some sympathy if you show that you are trying to comply. I doubt you will win the case, but you can do a royal *** kissing and get the consequences reduced so it's not so bad.

I think judges get pissed when they see people try BS defenses. they would rather see people be honest, humble, and try to do the right thing.

get your car registered.
document all the steps you took to get it legal
tell the judge al the stuff you did
explain how you got the ticket while trying to get it registered
and now it is registered.
ask for some leniency. maybe reduce teh charges to soemthing less. or a dismissal with court costs or soemthing liek that.

if you're young, a student, living with parents, living off student loans, etc, use that to your advantage and point out how little money you have and big fines will hurt you and your future....

good luck.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:58 PM
New User

cops suk.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Cop messed up the date on a ticket (BLOOD-TYPE-R)

I spent an enjoyable 8 hours today listening to crap I have heard too many times before, but then again it wouldn't be traffic school if the information were useful.

I agree, tickets suck!
Old 05-31-2001, 06:29 AM
Trial User

Pay the fine, learn something, and get on with your life.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cop messed up the date on a ticket (ekimmel)

if you have to do traffic school... PLEASE dont do the actual 8 hour class.

I don't know about all states, but in CA they have internet classes that take FAR less than 8 hours in class.

Old 05-31-2001, 12:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Cop messed up the date on a ticket (23109VC)

In Santa Clara county there is only one school that is allowed. It is not the Internet course. I tried. I figure that I was doing well enough getting to go to a school that wasn't the 1 that they approve of and did my 8 hours.

Actually compared to level 2 traffic school this was a piece of cake.

I think that I would just take the ticket before I went to level 3.

J