Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Considering finally upgrading from stock exhaust

Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering finally upgrading from stock exhaust

I'm finally considering upgrading from the 20 year old exhaust on my 96 h22a lude. The stock exhaust has finally developed small holes and leaks. A few reasons why I have stuck with the stock exhaust for so long. I don't want to buy an exhaust and have it be raspy and sound shitty like most of the modded Hondas around where I live, I wouldn't mind a bit more sound, but not if it's gonna sound like crap. I like the quiet stock exhaust.

In the past I've seen options on exhausts that sound good and won't cost $700 like the SP2 or WS2, but it looks like they are no longer made for the 4th gen. I've heard Yonaka has an exhaust that sounds almost exactly like the ws2, but it's only made for 5th gens. I might just get an OEM exhaust, but I know that's not exactly cheap either. Is there any quiet, nice sounding exhaust still made for the 4th gen that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

I've owned my prelude for 8 years, and it's far from my daily, I only drive it a couple thousand miles a year, only take it out when it's nice out. I keep it as minty as I can in looks, so I don't wanna risk it sounding bad. I take much more pride in it than my wrx, so I need it to sound good!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Considering finally upgrading from stock exhaust

That's tough man. I don't care what anyone on this forum says, almost any aftermarket exhaust sounds shitty and gives you that "adult driving a kids car" feel when you're cruising.

My 2 solutions

Go back to oem, or find oem resonators/cats to weld onto new piping

Give your car a reason to sound like it an aftermarket exhaust.

Boost
NA build
Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My OEM muffler was rusted out and piping was almost in the same condition as you described micah. I put 2 1/2" piping with a mugen twin loop and it has good sound but still a little too loud for my taste even with a cat and small resonator. I'm sure I get 50/50 when it comes to people who either appreciate it or not.

Basically I concur completely with H22Honda98.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apexi worldsport exhausts sound fantastic, look up a video and challenge that statement. They're expensive AF, but they'll last longer than the car will.

EDIT: Not the 3" exhaust though, that sounds like ****.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-03-2016, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a 5Zigan on my 94 and hated that "tuner" sound, raspy and loud.

Replaced it with a SS powder coated HKS system, with a resonator in place of the cat.

Very nice sound, and only gets loud when I stomp on it and spray. 94

PS not cheap but well worth it IMO.

Last edited by fcm; 05-04-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add ps
Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm really leaning towards just spending the money on a ws2 or maybe an sp2, even though they're pricey. As I see it I've spent enough making the exterior look perfect where I want it to be in my eyes and with my taste, and would hate to take away from that by buying a ricey raspy sounding exhaust.

My plans for the future are for a mild streetable turbo build eventually, so as much as I'm fine with the quiet stock exhaust, I'd need something different if it's turboed. As I see it there's such a fine line with Hondas sounding good versus sounding obnoxious and raspy with aftermarket exhaust. It sounds embarrassing enough with a very mild exhaust leak, definitely don't want it to sound any worse!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ws2 all the way
Old 06-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've driven with my WS1 exhaust since 2004. There's a reason why I've kept it for this long. It makes the car a bit more audible from inside the cabin while minimizing the sounds produced outside.

On the track however, it's actually annoyingly quiet. In trackside videos of me on the front straight at Thunderhill, you hear more tire noise than the car. With a helmet on, I'd prefer something louder.

When the car becomes a full-time track whip I'll invest in something else, but for daily driving and road trips, you simply can't beat the Worldsport.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If (and probably when) I do order a ws2 exhaust, would it be necessary to get a different header? My exhaust is all original, including the header. I've kept the h22a all stock except for an Injen cold air intake. Also, I'm only seeing one option for the 4th gen prelude, it doesn't look like they make different ones for different submodels. My car is an Si with an h22a swap. From what I've read in the past there could be fitment issues with some exhausts since there's little differences with the exhaust systems in S vs Si vs VTEC. Have any of you had trouble with the fitment?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

4th gen should be good, it's when you get into the 5th gen and SH versus base models where things crop up.

My car has used Si and Vtec headers and exhaust with out any issue. My Thermal was sold as for the Vtec cars, but fit my Si model with H22 just like stock.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by micah_m
If (and probably when) I do order a ws2 exhaust, would it be necessary to get a different header? My exhaust is all original, including the header. I've kept the h22a all stock except for an Injen cold air intake. Also, I'm only seeing one option for the 4th gen prelude, it doesn't look like they make different ones for different submodels. My car is an Si with an h22a swap. From what I've read in the past there could be fitment issues with some exhausts since there's little differences with the exhaust systems in S vs Si vs VTEC. Have any of you had trouble with the fitment?
It's not going to make much more power unless you're willing to spend $600+ on a real header, and even then, unless you're running an obnoxious 3" exhaust, it won't really gain any power. It will gain power, but it won't be worth spending all that money on it. Just keep the stock manifold and run the WS2 exhaust for that tiny bit of good sound.