Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Coilover Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Install

I'm a day or so away from ordering some Tein basics for my S and was wondering if a spring compressor is required for the install; and also, when looking through my honda manual, it says that a ball joint remover is needed for the rear (upper A-arm i believe?). Is this also necessary to undo the joint? From the looks of it just from jacking the car up it seems that the spring/strut should slide out, but I can't tell just from looking. If it is necessary to remove the ball joint, does anything need to be replaced before reinstalling and is reinstalling very difficult? One more thing - any tricks to pulling the trunk carpet away so I can get to the strut mounts or does it just take some working? I've never done a suspension before and realize these questions might be kinda juvenile but I appreciate any info before I dig in on this. Also if there's anything surprising about the install that isnt shown in the manual, I'd appreciate a heads up - thanks for any info.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:27 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Coilover Install (Mantis)

No, you don't need a spring compressor to install coilovers. Unless you plan on taking your old springs/shocks apart.

Yes, you'll need to undo the ball joint, it'll get in your way if you don't.

You'll probably need to replace the bushing if they're in bad shape.

If you know what you're doing and have the right tools, it shouldn't be difficult. I would ask a friend to help out.

The trunk carpet can be pulled/peeled back, but be-careful not to bend them out of shape or rip them. There should be little clips that holds them down, just pop them out with a flat-head. Also, be cautious with them, they break easily.

IMO, Tein Basic sucks.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Coilover Install (Sticky Tires)

Are you running Basics? What are your grounds for thinking they're not so good and what would you recommend instead?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you running Basics? What are your grounds for thinking they're not so good and what would you recommend instead?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the dampers on the basics are known to be pretty crappy.

you're better off with ground controls/skunk 2's and a set of KYB's.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Coilover Install (bad-monkey)

What about the SS's? Would it be worth a few hundred bucks more to get them?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 AM
* B A N N E D *

Yes, I would save up for the SS, Flex even better.

Or go with what bad monkey stated.

Don't waste your money on the Basic.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:59 AM

If I did go with the SS's, what's the difference between getting them with or without the pillowball mounts??
Old 10-19-2004, 08:09 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I did go with the SS's, what's the difference between getting them with or without the pillowball mounts??</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't get them, the difference is camber, the way your wheels sit, it'll be slanted (negative toe in/out) increasing tire wear. therefore, you'll need a camber kit, alignment...etc

If you do get them, all you need is an alignment.

If you want to get the best out of the SS, find a shop that does corner weighing to get maximum performance out of the coilovers.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sticky Tires &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you don't get them, the difference is camber, the way your wheels sit, it'll be slanted (negative toe in/out) increasing tire wear. therefore, you'll need a camber kit, alignment...etc

If you do get them, all you need is an alignment.

If you want to get the best out of the SS, find a shop that does corner weighing to get maximum performance out of the coilovers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong. your still gonna have camber and toe issues with or without the pillowball mounts.

the pbm add rigidity to the top mounting point helping road feedback...if your baller get them but i'd rather have the soft oem rubber for DD.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Coilover Install (georgiajdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wrong. your still gonna have camber and toe issues with or without the pillowball mounts.

the pbm add rigidity to the top mounting point helping road feedback...if your baller get them but i'd rather have the soft oem rubber for DD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with the PBMs, the camber shouldn't be as bad as not having them right?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

TEIN's pillow ball (spherical bearing) upper mount is designed for each individual model of the vehicle. By remaining the positioning design of upper spring and shock absorber close to manufacture's standards, TEIN's pillow ball upper mount keeps height change to the minimum and maintains the stroke center.

The rubber bush is replaced with a pillow ball which eliminates the load input compliance, reduces the change of alignment to improve the grip of the tire.
*NMB's (The world's top spherical bearing manufacture) pillow ball is used.

Ultra duralumin A2017S-T4 (aircraft material) is used for upper seats and adjusting plates with anodized aluminum to have maximum strength and durability.

For the Mcpherson strut suspension(only for front) models, the camber angle is adjustable. This creates wide varieties of different suspension settings according to the road and tire conditions.

High tension material S45C is used for serration bolts. As it is already inserted with high press, installation time has been completely reduced. With the original long bolt design, it can be easily mounted and gives enough thread for the strut tower bar to be fitted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It helps alignment issues and gives better ride quality. So yes, I'm wrong about the camber/toe situation. Sorry!

Old 10-19-2004, 12:30 PM

I think the pillow ball's are yet even further out of my price range than I had planned at first, so it looks like if I go ss, it'll be w/out them. Anyway, mine is more of a commuter.

One last question..... Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy? I found a few places online for around $860 (ss's)

Thanks for all the help
Old 10-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha suckers..

i paid 850shipped for my tanabe pro ss, retail for 1300. 8k/4k springs (ordering custom 8k/12k soon) 4way adjustable dampers front and rear, and secondary springs included.. you just have to wait for a good deal. lower grade teins are garbage..i've seen too many rusted and seized spring perches and strut bolts
Old 10-19-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (georgiajdm)

How about a website or company to buy them from
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have tanabe not tein...

i also got then when wholesalehyperformance.com was having a clearance. i got lucky....
Old 10-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (georgiajdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have tanabe not tein...

i also got then when wholesalehyperformance.com was having a clearance. i got lucky....</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know if the owner of that site is registered on hondatech?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope...

they actually listed the pro -ss as 950 plus shipping. i emailed customer service and asked for a discount and they said 850 shipped was the best they could do, so i jumped on it.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sticky Tires &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, you'll need to undo the ball joint, it'll get in your way if you don't. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Not true in regards to the rear suspension. You can unbolt the upper control arm and swing it completely out of the way to put in the damper.
http://www.geocities.com/joon525/Teins/Tein.htm &lt;- has pictures
Old 10-20-2004, 03:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Coilover Install (Joon525)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joon525 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Not true in regards to the rear suspension. You can unbolt the upper control arm and swing it completely out of the way to put in the damper.
http://www.geocities.com/joon525/Teins/Tein.htm &lt;- has pictures</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about the front.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sticky Tires &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking about the front. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I guess this guy has an SH model then? On a base 5th Gen you don't have to undo the balljoint but on the SH model you do. Unless he has a 4th gen??? In his original post he said he has an "S"....did he mean "SH"?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:33 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Coilover Install (Joon525)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joon525 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I guess this guy has an SH model then? On a base 5th Gen you don't have to undo the balljoint but on the SH model you do. Unless he has a 4th gen??? In his original post he said he has an "S"....did he mean "SH"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea. It could be a 4th gen or base model 5th gen.

I had a 5th gen SH, that's why I told him to remove the undo the ball joint.

Shoot, I'd undo anything that gets in my way.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 AM

It's a '92 S - base model 4th gen
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 AM
* B A N N E D *

tribalpacific.com has the SS for $930 + s/h.

did you try ebay?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:28 AM

Yeah I tried ebay, but didnt find anything

http://www.prostreetonline.com...honda/ has them for $900, and then I'm assuming S&H would be around $30

http://store.rms-usa.com/tessho.html has them for $879 + S&H

I'll probably have to blow all my money with one of these two places unless I find them elsewhere...
Old 10-20-2004, 06:34 AM
* B A N N E D *

Those prices are pretty good, go for it.

Does it snow much, if at all in OK? If so, IMO, I'd get the Flex.

Quick Reply: Coilover Install