Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help, problems with my lude, need opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, problems with my lude, need opinions please...

I am having a lot of problems with my 95 H22a prelude and would like any input/advice/opinions. Let me provide some background info.

It all started when i noticed my clutch was not as stiff as it should be and seemed like it was disengaging only when i pressed it all the way to the floor. I figured it was a pressure loss due to a bad slave or master cyclinder. I took it to my mechanic and had him swap both, along with flushing my brake fluid and changin my oil.

I got it back and it seemed better (the clutch pedal was significantly stiffer). However, the same day i got it back another problem arose. When the engine would heat up (as in driving on the freeway for at least 15-20 minutes) and then changing into neutral, the rpms would fluctiate every half second at idle between 1000-1500 rpm. The fluctuations were very noticable.

I figured it was a small vacum leak and my mechanic didnt tighten something down all the way or reconnet a hose or something so i took it back. On my way to the shop i came to a screeching halt on the freeway and almost crashed into another car. I had to brake so hard that i burst on of my break lines that had been touching my fender and had a weak spot. So my break had no pressure, so i had to get those fixed as well. And they were.

The rpm issue however was a bit more complicated. My mechanic rechecked his work and couldnt find anything. So went the next step and took apart the throttle body and cleaned it and checked all the valves and put it back together and said it was probably fixed. It wasnt. He said he was "stumped"

I took it to another honda guy and he tested for a vacuum leak, then took apart the throttle body again, but this time REPLACED a vavle (not sure what its called specifically) that was causing it fluctuate rpms at idle. Then he gave me the car back and warned me that the clutch felt like it was on its way out.

So i drive it around a day later, heat the engine up, and it is STILL doing the rpm fluctuations at idle (again between 1000-1500 rpms every half second, but would level out after reving it up). To make matters worse, my clutch starts slipping and making a burning smell and I am barely able to limp the car back to my house.

So tomorrow I plan on taking the car back to shop number two, have the clutch replaced (for $1200 btw) and ask WTF is up with the rpm issue? I have spent a lot of money on this car the last few weeks with all of this, and am getting kinda frustrated.

Any second opinions or input is welcome please. thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help, problems with my lude, need opinions please...

Here is a link to a great write up re: idle issues,

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/end-all-idle-surge-bounce-etc-problems-thread-1979500/

hope its of some help.