Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

hot weather+crower cams=running lean which causes my car to overheat intermediately?(long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot weather+crower cams=running lean which causes my car to overheat intermediately?(long)

so yeah i have a new water pump and new thermostat.
the fans go on.
i run 91 gas.
no noticeable pinging or knocking.
have not ran the car w/ nitrous for like more than 3 months.
no leaks and i purged the rad. system.
i check for chocolate milk on dipstick and black residue in the rad.
timing exactly at 15 deg and the cams and crank align perfectly. the timing belt has the correct tension.

i installed the crower cams about a month ago, during a not so hot weather. but lately the car tends to overheat intermediately, when i drive for more than 1/2 a hour but only when weather is gets really hot( otherwise in the morning or night the car feels like a champ). the temp. guage moves two lines then it drops back to normal.

i thought maybe it is a faulty temp. sensor, but i feel a loss of power. im going to to change the rad. cap, but other than that i cant think of anything else other the car running lean.

did i looked over anything?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: hot weather+crower cams=running lean which causes my car to overheat intermediately?(long) (SUB-

running lean won't really make your car overheat....look at spoolin lude he melted his pistons and didn't have overheating problems (that I know of)
Old 07-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hot weather+crower cams=running lean which causes my car to overheat intermediately?(long) (SUB-

Just to confirm, you did dyno tune the Crower cams I hope. If not, your probably running very lean. Not sure if that would cause your heat issue, but it would cause other problems.

Other than that, how many miles do you have on the car? Miles since you last changed radiator fluid? If it's been a while, or never, the radiator may be gumming up, causing a poor cooling situation.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtecmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to confirm, you did dyno tune the Crower cams I hope. If not, your probably running very lean. Not sure if that would cause your heat issue, but it would cause other problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope i did not dyno tune the cams. i did not know that i needed to.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtecmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Other than that, how many miles do you have on the car? Miles since you last changed radiator fluid? If it's been a while, or never, the radiator may be gumming up, causing a poor cooling situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

120,000 miles
i just changed the rad. coolent when i changed the water pump.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running lean won't really make your car overheat....look at spoolin lude he melted his pistons and didn't have overheating problems (that I know of)</TD></TR></TABLE>

any ideas of what could be wrong?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then there are two things I would do:

1. Get those cams tuned, or you'll have more serious problems shortly.

2. Check the radiator to be sure it is not gummed up, causing poor flow. If your radiator fluid hadn't ever been changed before, it could have caused buildup in the radiator.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtecmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then there are two things I would do:

1. Get those cams tuned, or you'll have more serious problems shortly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn i did not know it would be that serious, especially since they are stage 1 cams. but yeah thanks for the heads up

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtecmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. Check the radiator to be sure it is not gummed up, causing poor flow. If your radiator fluid hadn't ever been changed before, it could have caused buildup in the radiator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i changed the rad. last year w/ the coolent.

well i thought for sure that a lean condition could cause the car to overheat.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you bleed the coolant system?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you bleed the coolant system?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always re-tune after any engine interal modification. In all probability you may not be making as much power as you can or may be running lean as a biatch. How is your oil pressure ?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Matgallis)

he said up top that he purged the radiator system. Hopefully thats what he means.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
preludedriver99

Default Re: (95 lude)

Mugen thermostat, fan switch, and radiator cap. You'll run considerably cooler!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (95 lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said up top that he purged the radiator system. Hopefully thats what he means.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard people use the word "purge" both ways: to completely flush out and refill the coolant, and/or to bleed out the air bubbles.

Hopefully he meant bleeding out the air.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then I would schedule a dyno session, drive it easy until you do, and see if perhaps that solves your heat issue, since a lean condition would run hotter.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you bleed the coolant system?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Always re-tune after any engine interal modification. In all probability you may not be making as much power as you can or may be running lean as a biatch. How is your oil pressure ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i dont have an oil pressure gauge but the oil light has not come on when driving. yes ill try to take to the dyno and get tune.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by preludedriver99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mugen thermostat, fan switch, and radiator cap. You'll run considerably cooler!</TD></TR></TABLE>

from mugen?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said up top that he purged the radiator system. Hopefully thats what he means.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well what else can it mean?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've heard people use the word "purge" both ways: to completely flush out and refill the coolant, and/or to bleed out the air bubbles.

Hopefully he meant bleeding out the air.</TD></TR></TABLE>

never heard it used that way.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtecmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well then I would schedule a dyno session, drive it easy until you do, and see if perhaps that solves your heat issue, since a lean condition would run hotter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah good advice , ill do that

thanks for the advice guys ...
Old 07-20-2004, 12:07 PM
preludedriver99

Default Re: (SUB-0 H23)

Yeah all from Mugen. The thermostat will go for an easy 60-80 bucks. Expensive but considering it opens at 160 instead of 180-183 that's a big diff. Redline water wetter also, good ****!
Old 07-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (preludedriver99)

Truthfully you probably have a bad thermostat. They tend to go out after a while as it's just based on thermal expansion. I'd get probably the OEM one unless you want the Mugen setup where you'd have to buy the fan switch as well.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys the stup1d rad. cap was the problem. changed it and no problems at all
Old 07-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SUB-0 H23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SUB-0 H23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys the stup1d rad. cap was the problem. changed it and no problems at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

D'oh!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 AM
I live under a rock

Default Re: (del_parker)

Caps suck.........

Naa no overheatin problems my way, just melted stuff....... contrary to belief, running RICH will actually cause EGT's to go up, thus running a car "hotter".

but glad u fixed it!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:05 AM
OTT

Default Re: (spoolinlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Caps suck.........

Naa no overheatin problems my way, just melted stuff....... contrary to belief, running RICH will actually cause EGT's to go up, thus running a car "hotter".

but glad u fixed it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

But damage will generally only occur from this when waay excessive fuel causes dynamic compression to rise equating to higher combustion chamber temperatures.
-
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SUB-0 H23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys the stup1d rad. cap was the problem. changed it and no problems at all
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to hear it
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 AM

My basic solution for overheating problems in every car i've owned:
Lower temp thermostat
Larger radiator
Better oil pump