Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

CEL while coasting 4th gear...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL while coasting 4th gear...

As the topic says, I was driving along in 4th gear roughly 45mph over a bridge, and all the sudden I get a CEL and the tone of the exhaust gets really deep and more sputtered. I find a safe place further down the road to shut down and restart and the CEL is gone, but once I started going it came back on and I tried to accelerate lightly and it would start sputtering and popping around 4k rpms, as if it wasn't getting enough gas or something.

So I drive it very conservatively until I get home, park it, shut it down, let it sit for 10 seconds, and started it back up. No CEL came on so I played with the throttle to see if it was still cutting off. Seemed fine so I took around the block, and everything was normal again. No CEL, no sputter, no problems. Do you guys think maybe it was bad gas? The tank is low right now and maybe going up the bridge (incline) caused the gas to slosh around limiting how much the fuel pump could get? Any thoughts? I'm not too worried at the moment, as everything is fine now, but I just need peace of mind that it could be an isolated thing...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: CEL while coasting 4th gear... (typeSwarrior)

Just took it for a drive, put in some fresh 93 octane, and I still got the problem, but intermittently. It would be fine for a few minutes, then it would start acting up again for a while. Seeme to do it more if more throttle was givien. It also dies almost every time I come to a stop.

Based on this, I'm starting to think my fuel pump needs replacing, and if any of you have read recent threads of mine, I have finished a JRSC setup just this past weekend, with no problems mind you, and I am running the stock fuel pump which is 11 years old. Anyone concur on my conclusion?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

test your fuel pressure. . . that will let you know how the pump stands. . . I'm not sure on that any time i had a pump go bad it pretty much went bad quick not an occasional problem.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 AM

Default Re: CEL while coasting 4th gear... (97ludedude)

Yeah, that was my first thought...I'll just have to see how accessible my fuel line is now that the supercharger is on the car...(jackshaft assembly covers a lot of things).
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I seriously doubt the fuel pump is the culprit, call honda and see how many they
have sold in the last year and they will probably tell you zero.

Does the tach jump around when it happens?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: CEL while coasting 4th gear... (SKDRCR)

Jump around how? Like just crazy everywhere, no it does not. When it gets ~4k rpms the needle fluctuates some because I can't rev higher than that with it popping and sputtering. When that occurs, I keep it under 3k while driving (very light throttle) and eventually it fixes itself and runs properly again, only to do it a few minutes later down the road...After reading around more, the fuel pump does seems to be less of a culprit and more like "it could be a number of things."

Since that may be the case, how could I check for error codes if I have a chipped P72 with an s200 hooked up? My dad has a computer that plugs into the terminal near the passenger foot area and can read all the codes on a my stock ECU (P5M). But now that I'm running an OBD1 with Hondata, his computer won't get a signal from it...Do I need Hondata software in order to run a diagnostic? It's a solid CEL, no flashes, so I can't get much from that... This is most I've ever dived into the electronics of a car, aside from stereo equipment, so any help is appreciated.

Also, I've checked all the necessary sensors that were unplugged during the JRSC install, and everything is intact. I may try a wiggle test when I get home from work and see if there are any loose connections, etc. since some of the harness are a bit more snug with the extra space the supercharger takes up...sorry for the long post
Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search 4K hesitation in the big red search. This sounds all too familiar.
good luck man!!

My 10 cents, is its not the fuel pump either. Honda's sport some pretty solid fuel pumps.

Only way to know is to monitor fuel pressure!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Default Re: CEL while coasting 4th gear... (mattsnooz)

Yeah, the fuel pump is priming just fine so I've definitely ruled it out...here's an update:

I did some wiggling of connections under the hood, everything was good. All hoses are good with no leaks (a lot of them are new anyways). So then I decide (since the p72/s200 I have is used) to inspect the ECU connections. With the car idling, I tapped on the ECU casing itself and the idle stuttered and dropped slightly, and then returned to normal. I waited a second, tried it again, same result. So I removed the metal plate to inspect the circuit boards, etc. and where the Hondata unit was socketed. Everything felt and looked firm and I went to put the cover back on and noticed there is a padded type of area on the plate that looks like it covers a specific portion of the circuit boards and thought, hmmm, maybe it wasn't put on facing the right way before, so I bolted it back on accordingly, gave it some good taps and nothing happened after that.

I just finished some spirited driving it for 10 miles or so, and no problems. No CEL, no RPM sputter; nothing. I was boosting fine and getting plenty of fuel pressure. I want to say problem solved, but we'll see, and I'll let you know if anything comes up again...Anyways, it's my bday weekend, I'm getting a
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM
can I haz?

Default Re: CEL while coasting 4th gear...

whats the update, has the issue been solved. I have the same problem with a boosted motor on a P72 and a Solid code that pops up after a min of starting my car everytime, I am running 750cc RC injectors. I am thinking my tuner didnt tune it for the bigger injectors.