Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights.

1997 5MT base. Was driving the car yesterday with no problems. In fact I had just returned home from a two hour trip a few hours earlier. Came away from a light, and as I'm coming away (lifting clutch, giving gas) the car starts to buck, as if its stalling...but it wasnt....the car was going, but was shaking quite a bit.

Shifting into second was difficult, almost as if the gear wasnt there, but it went in. I discover that all the gears are now doing this sometimes. Double clutching helps, but it still feels really notchy. ½ the time it shifts fine though.

Although it feels like the clutch is old (it grabs higher than it should) there's no slipping at all. Its grabs very good.

Just tonight I went for a drive to see what more I can understand about the problem, I came to a light and the car just shut off. It did this once more at another light a few minutes later. I came to a stop a few times and it didnt stall.

Made a K turn and while reversing (moving back only five or so feet) the car stalled.

I have no idea what to think. I'm going to drain my transmission fluid tomorrow and replace with synchromesh. The clutch resevior has plenty of fluid, albeit a bit dirty.

Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM

pressure plate
Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights. (cantcatchabreak)

could be your master/slave cylinder going out. ped pressure good?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights. (cantcatchabreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chuckles99SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be your master/slave cylinder going out. ped pressure good?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, everything else is fine except for the problems listed.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:03 PM

any ideas? i dont want to buy a clutch and have it not be the problem.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:49 PM

I had the exact same problem, here's how I fixed it, photos included:
http://www.bayareaprelude.com/...12871
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights. (VTECnKEN)

YEP YEP. Thats the same problem I had too. I was getting excited at first cause I knew the answer to your problems but VTECnKen already answered it exactly to the dot. I ended up doing the same thing he did except I got the 8.8lb flywheel. You might as well drop a new lightweight flywheel while you have the transmission off. I think you at minimum have to get a new clutch plate. Depends on how much damage has already been done.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Car suddenly has a clutch problem, semi-grinding gears, stalls at lights. (Preludepradit)

Yeah mine is doing the same thing. Mine started after racing my dad (not fro a stand still he was going like 35 and I was going like 10 he has a Miata I killed) and hitting 2nd HARD. It has been chattering ever since but no slippage