Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis?

My 96 prelude shakes at speeds over 50 mpg. The wheel shivers a little at lower speed but the whole car shakes and the wheel shakes alot when I'm going faster especially highway driving. I just got the car. Put my 17" rims on in but then took them off the next day cause they had summer tires and it snowed here. Do I just need an allignment? and why?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis? (TimJay)

when was the last time you changed the brakes? The rotors could be wraped. also the tie rod ends might be bad. I right now experiencing similar but not the same problems. my steering shakes a lot when braking and at hi speed just a little bit. I'm redoing all of my brakes discs and pads and I'll also check for tie rod ends.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis? (camil212)

did you check the air in your tires? i'd guess it's either axle joint, a loose lug, your tires aren't balanced, or you need an alignment... you could need an alignment for any reason, from getting in an accident to hitting a pothole or bad spot in the road.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis? (camil212)

My car shakes when braking coming down from highway speeds a good deal. Also around 80 it shimmies a little in the steering wheel. When I got my tuneup a month ago the mechanic said I had about 1/3 the life left on my brakes. Time to change them you think? or are there other issues contributing to the shaking?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would believe that you would only feel your brakes when you apply them so that would be out of the question. i think that something is loose or your alignment is out, somehow. an alignment tech should be able to tell you exactly what wrong. Just Tires offers free alignment checks, i used to work there awhile back.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vtec_Dude)

sounds like wheel may need to be balanced. Maybe you unevenly wore out your tires?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 PM

or ur casters could be off....does it pull to one side...
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: (gameboi)

If it was me, First i would check upper and lower ball joints (would have a more constant driveability problem if it was them) And just inspect the whole body... maby a bushing broke who knows?!?!

while i was at it with that i would re-balance the tires if you did not find anything, i've seen cars that had wheel weights that flung off and became a come back becouse of a vibration.

Brakes... eeh i'd just deal with it till i ran the rotors out, its its manual just downshift more. Braking + Steering while vibrating is front brakes Brakes + Vibration in seat/***/ whatever u wana call it is rears.

If all else fails align that SOB =P sometimes if u hit a curb and scuff the outside of a wheel even it'll screw up the alignment, it doesn't always take that much.
And dont forget switing to different size wheels changes the suspension characteristics, so a previous perfect alignment could be worth nothing. Although i dought that would make it shake bad...

Kk... my 2 cents
Good luck bud

Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (agCrX)

Getting new tires solved this problem for me.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are all your treads the same?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis? (khalal538)

jebus...

first, make sure all your lugnuts are tightened
second, check your tire pressure
third, check your alignment
fourth, check your wheel balance
fifth, check your brake rotors
sixth, check your ball joints

Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean really guys....how many times is this gonna be asked??

sober has it, and in the right order.....if your car wobbles at xx speed without the brakes on then its not the rotors.....if it wobbles with the brakes on only is either rotors or ball joints....most likely not tire/wheel problems...

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><FONT SIZE="2">logic</FONT></FONT>....use it....
Old 12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i mean really guys....how many times is this gonna be asked??

sober has it, and in the right order.....if your car wobbles at xx speed without the brakes on then its not the rotors.....if it wobbles with the brakes on only is either rotors or ball joints....most likely not tire/wheel problems...

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><FONT SIZE="2">logic</FONT></FONT>....use it....</TD></TR></TABLE>

not all problems are caused by what you said. for example: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1358595

i've had that problem for awhile and i've changed tires/rims had them balanced, changed pads and rotors, had an alignment, had new bushings put in, had new balljoints put in and it STILL does it.

the only other thing i can think of is bad cv shafts.(mine are new but advance auto brand so i'm kinda doubting them)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wheel bearing is another possibility... check for play in the wheel bearing by pulling on the tire side to side with your hands.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

For the shaking while braking its most likely rotors, i just had that problem. Put new rotors on and problem fixed
Old 12-09-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: (lude98SH)

wheel bearings would make noise, though...
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM

if it happens when ur not braking then its probobly not ur rotors...

mayb u need to balance ur tires...

have u hit any big potholes?...because if u did then ur steering column might be messed up...

try an alignment...
Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might sound stupid, but could you just happen to have a huge chunk of snow or ice in one of your wheels that's causing them to be off-balance? That happens to me fairly often with my stock SH wheels in the winter time.. Might be worth a check if it started after the snow you mentioned.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:38 PM

my local firestone recommended that it might be the snow or ice frozen to the back of my stock wheels. I have the car in the garage but it is uninsulated and thus if that is the case it won't come off until it warms up. Also ... my front right wheel only has 3 lugs for the moment. All the lugs on all the wheels are very tight though. I know 3 is unsafe. It is getting fixed but that could be it am I right? The alignment could have gotten off when I took it drifting in the snow. Having her sideways could do that when it catches.

On a side note, I'm not a troublemaker. I enjoy cars and working on them. I have some knowledge but am in no way knowledgeable in alot of areas that I'm learning. Forums are great places to get opinions and advice and learn. Mgags or whoever is just rude to someone looking to learn. He has been on every post. My prelude is new to me but it is my third honda. example: http://img.photobucket.com/alb...1.jpg Thanks for all the continued help everyone .... I refer back to my questions above in this post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TimJay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also ... my front right wheel only has 3 lugs for the moment. All the lugs on all the wheels are very tight though. I know 3 is unsafe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 lugs, huh? yeah, you better like working on your car. I got a feeling we're gonna be hearing a lot of questions from you in the future...
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rude....due to annoyed...

if you would have dreamed up the idea to hit the search button and find out for yourself why your wheel was shaking, that would be different....but instead you clutter up our board with questions that have already been covered....

go hop in your civic gallardo and drift away....im sure thats good for the car....

if your car didnt shake before you put the rims on and took them back off, you arfed something up changing the wheels....if it did, then refer to the posts above....

yonk....that is very odd for a honda, my brother's k5 did that bc the upper ball joints were shot....but on a prelude i cant see that happening due to bad ball joints....i say check your steering rack....jack up the front of the car, and see if you can jiggle the wheel around from side to side and/or top to bottom....try to lock the steering wheel before you do that...
Old 12-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Correct...mine shook at EXACTLY 55 and when you hit 70 it would stop shaking. It ended up being 2 things....the passenger side upper control arm and the inner tie rod. The boot next to the tie rod ripped and got grease all inside of my new white Motegi's. When the boot went out it just burned the hell up and almost snapped. Didn't realize what happened till i got my oil changed and the peeps told me.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rude....due to annoyed...

if you would have dreamed up the idea to hit the search button and find out for yourself why your wheel was shaking, that would be different....but instead you clutter up our board with questions that have already been covered....

go hop in your civic gallardo and drift away....im sure thats good for the car....

if your car didnt shake before you put the rims on and took them back off, you arfed something up changing the wheels....if it did, then refer to the posts above....

yonk....that is very odd for a honda, my brother's k5 did that bc the upper ball joints were shot....but on a prelude i cant see that happening due to bad ball joints....i say check your steering rack....jack up the front of the car, and see if you can jiggle the wheel around from side to side and/or top to bottom....try to lock the steering wheel before you do that...</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried shaking the wheel and it has NO PLAY. as i said, just about everything that could be replaced has been. i've noticed some grease a while ago (from the cv shafts) and i think i fixed it but maybe it let to much grease out and ruined the shaft.

timjay: you fix your problem yet? and yes, only 3 lugs may make that shake. i know when i had a lug with screwed up threads (made the nut sit on crooked) i had a shaking problem.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yOnKiNaToR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yOnKiNaToR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i've noticed some grease a while ago (from the cv shafts) and i think i fixed it but maybe it let to much grease out and ruined the shaft.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had a crazy shimmy vibration a while back, and went thru a lot of the processes mentioned (basically just crawlin around under my car having a good look and feel of everything)... it ended up being my inner cv joint(s) - well the driver side one in particular but i ended up changing both cv shafts - , there was the tiniest of tears in the boot on the driver side shaft (inner tho, where it connects to the intermediate shaft), and it gave the strangest but most unnerving vibration when driving around.. so you might be onto something yonkinator - depending on how it feels. if you search around, you'll see more posts about the inner cv joint and vibration - helped me solve my problem (;

Old 12-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (yOnKiNaToR)

yes my shaking IS fixed. I had the stud replaced ($42 with tax) and the snow and ice all melted front off the suspension while it was in the shop so it could have been either. The shop claimed that ice can easily mess the balance up on your tires because it adds weight and that it is a common situation.

Quick Reply: car shakes at speed over 50 ... diagnosis?