Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Cant get the p1399 code to go away, tried everything!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get the p1399 code to go away, tried everything!

Hey guys, I have a problem that I cant seem to make it go away. I have a 96 accord and swapped in a jdm 98 h22a. I just moved to NJ where they check the obd2 connector for emissions. To make a long story short I ended up buying the USDM p5 ecu and installed the doctronics chip and the car starts fine. However, no I am getting a CEL p1399 that I wasnt getting before. According to my obd2 reader it says "misfire in any cylinder" The car drives perfectly though with no issues. I have been researching and it seems as this is a mysterious code where the fix is not the same for everyone.

Things I have done:

1. New spark plugs
2. Cleaned the EGR port. It was clogged to hell and now my car idles much better but code still there.
3. Recently changed the spark plug wires. I changed it back to my old set and both sets still have the CEL.
4. Today I changed the distributor cap and ignition coil. The rotor was recently changed. I had to use the civic/integra coil since the jdm distributor is internal coil and still the same code.
5. The ICM was pretty recently changed as was the starter since I was having starting issues but those problems are all resolved.

Anyone have any other ideas? I need to get this code to go away in order to pass emissions. The car drives perfectly with the blinking CEL. Sometimes the CEL is gone during idle. Seems as though RPMs >2500-3000 triggers it.

Thanks for your time and help
Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cant get the p1399 code to go away, tried everything!

Originally Posted by dvp95
Hey guys, I have a problem that I cant seem to make it go away. I have a 96 accord and swapped in a jdm 98 h22a. I just moved to NJ where they check the obd2 connector for emissions. To make a long story short I ended up buying the USDM p5 ecu and installed the doctronics chip and the car starts fine. However, no I am getting a CEL p1399 that I wasnt getting before. According to my obd2 reader it says "misfire in any cylinder" The car drives perfectly though with no issues. I have been researching and it seems as this is a mysterious code where the fix is not the same for everyone.

Things I have done:

1. New spark plugs
2. Cleaned the EGR port. It was clogged to hell and now my car idles much better but code still there.
3. Recently changed the spark plug wires. I changed it back to my old set and both sets still have the CEL.
4. Today I changed the distributor cap and ignition coil. The rotor was recently changed. I had to use the civic/integra coil since the jdm distributor is internal coil and still the same code.
5. The ICM was pretty recently changed as was the starter since I was having starting issues but those problems are all resolved.

Anyone have any other ideas? I need to get this code to go away in order to pass emissions. The car drives perfectly with the blinking CEL. Sometimes the CEL is gone during idle. Seems as though RPMs >2500-3000 triggers it.

Thanks for your time and help
I have the same problem with my 99 Civic HX auto. Switched out the spark plug and wires and switched it back with no change in CEL code. Changed the distributor cap and rotor today. Went for a test drive, little improvement but still has knocking / rattling at ~2500 rpm when running (not during idle). Had to change out the cat converter and Ox sensors earlier on to cure code p420. Cleaned out the EGR passages and checked EGR valve - looked working.
In addition, burped the air out of the cooling system as I had replaced the hose recently (burst). Checked ohms on the injectors, they were all uniform.
Will see what happens during the commute to work. Getting irritated and exhausted trying to chase this p1399.
If something worked for you let me know.