Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

cannot get clutch pedal!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cannot get clutch pedal!! HELP!!!

Good Morning,

I am having an issue with my clutch pedal on my 92 Si. A couple days ago I noticed that my master cylinder was leaking into the car, so I decided to replace it. Took the old one out, put the new one in, bled that to itself real quick (short hose from output to reservoir & pump, works fine). Then I attached the hard line (making sure the reservoir does not empty out while taking short hose out and putting hard line on).

I just cannot get any pedal in my clutch AT ALL. The pedal just drops straight to the floor and stays there.

So far I have tried:
- traditional bleeding
- bought one of the little hand vacuum pumps: opened reservoir, attached vacuum to bleeder screw at slave cylinder, pumped like my life depended on it, nothing.
- attempted "gravity bleed" last night. Left slave cylinder bleed screw and reservoir open, and clutch pedal down to floor. No movement in fluid level in reservoir AT ALL.

Any ideas??? My wife is driving me around currently and I'd like to have my car running.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: cannot get clutch pedal!! HELP!!!

So if you have a bleed line attached to the slave, and cycle the pedal by hand up and down, are you getting fluid to flow?

My thoughts on NO flow would be a kinked hard line, or some type of plug on the new master that needed to be removed before install. Although if you did a "bench bleed" that should have been taken care of then.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
So if you have a bleed line attached to the slave, and cycle the pedal by hand up and down, are you getting fluid to flow?

My thoughts on NO flow would be a kinked hard line, or some type of plug on the new master that needed to be removed before install. Although if you did a "bench bleed" that should have been taken care of then.
I am not getting fluid at the S/C if I cycle the pedal. I even tried having my wife cycle the pedal while I use the vacuum pump on the other end and still nothing.

I also forgot to mention. I cannot HOLD vacuum with the pump, as I'm pumping, the needle just shoots between 0 and 5 and back down, it never holds vacuum.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the pushrod needs to be adjusted. You need to loosen the locknut on the pushrod and turn the end in towards the firewall to allow for more travel when pushing the pedal.

I always use a helper to bleed. Have them push down, open bleeder, close bleeder, pull clutch pedal back. Repeat without allowing reservoir to get below halfway.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Sounds like the pushrod needs to be adjusted. You need to loosen the locknut on the pushrod and turn the end in towards the firewall to allow for more travel when pushing the pedal.

I always use a helper to bleed. Have them push down, open bleeder, close bleeder, pull clutch pedal back. Repeat without allowing reservoir to get below halfway.
I adjusted the pushrod from where it came in the box. I had to extend it because the way it came out of the box, then it was pinned to the pedal, it barely allowed the pedal to touch the switch that is sitting there (the switch that is pressed when the pedal is up)

On the other hand, wouldn't it allow more travel the longer the pushrod is, rather then turning it toward the firewall? Am I mistaken on this?
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Trial User

Its better to fill up the oil from the slave cylinder valve using a hand pump.
i had similar problem in my crv wasn't able to get clutch pedal back.
no other way helped getting rid of air from tge line