Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

The best weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best weight reduction

Hey I have a 5th gen. I wanna know if ppl took out the window, mirror, and sunroof motors and weighed them individually. And how much for power steering and cruise is it worth it? Just need help calculating weight reduction and what to leave
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The best weight reduction

Originally Posted by Hdeucedeuce
Hey I have a 5th gen. I wanna know if ppl took out the window, mirror, and sunroof motors and weighed them individually. And how much for power steering and cruise is it worth it? Just need help calculating weight reduction and what to leave
This link should have just about everything in it that you need i just searched for it, it isn't my info.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/weight-reduction-last-post-needed-prelude-owners-365637/
Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A little good post lol. Wish that thread was bigger with ore info
Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just took out my entire A/C system. The compressor and bracket weight quite a bit. And now it's 93 degrees and I'm regretting it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Trial User

I thought of making my lude lighter, but at end of it is it really worth it. I'd preffer to have a/c in the heat.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt do it, if your gonna spend money on a prelude as far as getting it fast.. it isnt worth it. unless you have a motegi or an sh..lmao then id say you got a circut car.lmao
Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the preludes ONLY downfall is its weight. its got all this power but stock prelude and stock gsr...the prelude will always get spanked. I wanna get into 14s or high 13s on lightening a 5th gen and building the bottom and top end. right now all stock ive maxed it to 15.9 on redding track. somehow i jumped up to 15.6 on sacramento track its just wayy too slow for me.

and about the AC i live in the most scorching and bipolar weather of Nor Cal. 110 in summer is normal after global warming....lol but that was my dilemma if i was gonna need it but surprisingly cheap ppl up here seem to NEVER use it. im desperate to be the fastest in my city and its kinda hard if you start out with a heavy *** car i guess
Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda owns me

More power ...
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the best weight mod is a carbon fiber sunroof plug. I think its like 70lb you loose... off the roof!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

take it out and weigh it yourself. you can always put it back on.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hdeucedeuce
thats the preludes ONLY downfall is its weight. its got all this power but stock prelude and stock gsr...the prelude will always get spanked.
Are you sure about that? My Prelude feels pretty fast...I "spank" most cars that try to take me. In fact, 2 months ago I was trying to decide which car to buy after my hatchback, and it came down to a Prelude or an Integra GS-R. I drove 2 examples of each, and both ludes felt faster than both tegs. The 2.2L just has so much more torque than any B-series.

Even a brand new, dealer-plated Subaru Legacy 3.6R (tiptronic) just a week ago couldn't pass me. And I had a passenger. He didn't.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Are you sure about that? My Prelude feels pretty fast...I "spank" most cars that try to take me. In fact, 2 months ago I was trying to decide which car to buy after my hatchback, and it came down to a Prelude or an Integra GS-R. I drove 2 examples of each, and both ludes felt faster than both tegs. The 2.2L just has so much more torque than any B-series.

Even a brand new, dealer-plated Subaru Legacy 3.6R (tiptronic) just a week ago couldn't pass me. And I had a passenger. He didn't.
it probably felt fast.. but it most likely wasn't if the prelude was stock. a lot more variables weighs into your test drives, such as the integra's condition. maybe the prelude's condition was far better than the other non-prelude cars you've tested. as far as the torque... the prelude has really low torque [stock]. the transmission has a lot to do with that. thats why people with h22s go for a b series tranny... b series would not fit into a prelude tho.lol
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by preludeNApower
I think the best weight mod is a carbon fiber sunroof plug. I think its like 70lb you loose... off the roof!
Dayum lol

Originally Posted by q16racer
take it out and weigh it yourself. you can always put it back on.
yeah i geuss that can be my argument

Originally Posted by andoxviii

true about the feel tho. its uniquely more powerful feeling. smashing the h22 for the first time actually scared me since i only drove economic 4 cylinders
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bennyBronco
it probably felt fast.. but it most likely wasn't if the prelude was stock. a lot more variables weighs into your test drives, such as the integra's condition. maybe the prelude's condition was far better than the other non-prelude cars you've tested. as far as the torque... the prelude has really low torque [stock]. the transmission has a lot to do with that. thats why people with h22s go for a b series tranny... b series would not fit into a prelude tho.lol

True, but one of the tegs had only 120,000km (which was less than both ludes), but yeah, maybe it wasn't properly maintained...

I love the lude though. I wasn't sure about it when I bought it, but I've grown to love it more and more every day. It's quick, torquey, and full of options. It actually feels like a "car", not like a "toy" (I'm comparing it to my EK hatch)

My boy with a VW GTI 1.8T always hated Honda's for that reason. He hopped in my lude and kept talking about how stable it was, how solid it felt, how much safer it felt - than any other Honda he had ever driven. He got out after the test drive feeling very impressed. Funny enough, his GTI weighs more than my lude haha...and his is boosted to 22 psi (on that tiny little stock turbo) and runs on a 94 octane tune....My lude keeps up with it just fine without any weight reduction.

To get back on topic, if you want a light car for racing, don't buy a Prelude, buy a Civic. If you want a car, buy a Prelude.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Preludes are teh slow
Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bennyBronco
Don't know what you're talking about by this. First of all, the H transmission is slower than if it would have the B series transmission on it because the B series transmissions have much lower gears. Putting a B series tranny on an H motor will make it quicker because of the shorter gears; it will not give your motor more torque.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but how can you say preludes have really low torque compared to the B series motors?? With the h22s having 156 torque, that's quite a bit more torquey than even a B18C5, with 130 torque. And you say people don't put a B series in a prelude because it wouldn't fit...but really if you would put a B series motor in a Prelude it would be a big downgrade for an h22 Prelude.

And OP, I wouldn't remove the window motors unless its strictly a drag car and you have done everything else possible to make it lighter/faster. The window motors are pretty light, and removing them you would only drop a few pounds, and you wouldn't see ANY increase in quickness with taking only a few pounds off. Instead, you could just loose a few pounds, or race barefoot
Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by micah_m
Don't know what you're talking about by this. First of all, the H transmission is slower than if it would have the B series transmission on it because the B series transmissions have much lower gears. Putting a B series tranny on an H motor will make it quicker because of the shorter gears; it will not give your motor more torque.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but how can you say preludes have really low torque compared to the B series motors?? With the h22s having 156 torque, that's quite a bit more torquey than even a B18C5, with 130 torque. And you say people don't put a B series in a prelude because it wouldn't fit...but really if you would put a B series motor in a Prelude it would be a big downgrade for an h22 Prelude.

And OP, I wouldn't remove the window motors unless its strictly a drag car and you have done everything else possible to make it lighter/faster. The window motors are pretty light, and removing them you would only drop a few pounds, and you wouldn't see ANY increase in quickness with taking only a few pounds off. Instead, you could just loose a few pounds, or race barefoot
i should of been more clearer... by b series i ment b series tranny on an h22. other than that you reiterated what i said. and i wasnt talking about gear ratio. im talking acceleration not minding per gear ratio.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much do you weigh?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Trial User

Well OP, if you really wanna shave weight, consider the pretty much useless backseats. and then you can go from there... lol
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NuggetsBB6
Well OP, if you really wanna shave weight, consider the pretty much useless backseats. and then you can go from there... lol
true. i always wake up looking at my car and say y did they not make it a 2 seater roadster. my small asian friends even complain about the small passenger space LMAO. but those are a no brainer to shave first ive done it and put it back saying they dont weigh **** so it was pointless but ima strip everything i can to keep it daily drivable but faster on the tracks
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im really light 115 which im glad about. but my goal is to shave 300-400 pounds but keep it slightly comfortable in seasons other than summer
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Carbon Fiber Hood and trunk lid (and get them painted).
Remove back seats and spare tire
Old 09-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sun roof motor is not that much, but the whole sun roof and mechanism is like 60lbs. So if you take that out and put in a fiberglass plug it saves a good chunk of weight.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CF trunk seems like such a waste, the trunk on these cars is small, rear seats hardly weigh anything too. Front seats though have weight, replace with carbon buckets and you'll shed a nice amount, hoods are heavy on these cause of their size. You could also remove the carpet, remove the sound deadening then reinstall the carpet for comfort.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
CF trunk seems like such a waste, the trunk on these cars is small, rear seats hardly weigh anything too. Front seats though have weight, replace with carbon buckets and you'll shed a nice amount, hoods are heavy on these cause of their size. You could also remove the carpet, remove the sound deadening then reinstall the carpet for comfort.
i agree. but what do you mean by sound deading? whats that? lol

Quick Reply: The best weight reduction