Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Anybody just replace timing belt and water pump, and not seals ect.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody just replace timing belt and water pump, and not seals ect.?

I'm in the process of having my timing belt replaced on my 96 Prelude S with 91,xxx miles. Quick question though..

Has anyone only replaced the timing belt and water pump? I know the dealer replaces the timing belt, water pump, balance shaft belt, cam seal, crank seal, balance shaft seal, the drive belts, and valve cover gasket.

I was originally planning on just the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, and a retainer for the balance shaft seal. I wasn't sure if all the other stuff is really necessary. My car is stock, and just a daily driver.

Thanks,
Del
Old 02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody just replace timing belt and water pump, and not seals ect.? (dELfONiK)

It's a really good idea and get the rest of the seals replaced while everything is out of the way. I just did t-belt,b-belt, retainer, wpump, h23 tensioner conversion( your f22 already has one dont worry).
I should've went ahead and replaced the 2 cam seals( 1per cam) front crank, balance shaft seal. Seals are really cheap compared the other stuff.

The valve cover gasket can be re-used if not nicked or cut. Just use hondabond(rtv) on the cam cap ends. Inspect drivebelts for cracks/tears.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Anybody just replace timing belt and water pump, and not seals ect.? (SteveoBA8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SteveoBA8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a really good idea and get the rest of the seals replaced while everything is out of the way. I just did t-belt,b-belt, retainer, wpump, h23 tensioner conversion( your f22 already has one dont worry).
I should've went ahead and replaced the 2 cam seals( 1per cam) front crank, balance shaft seal. Seals are really cheap compared the other stuff.

The valve cover gasket can be re-used if not nicked or cut. Just use hondabond(rtv) on the cam cap ends. Inspect drivebelts for cracks/tears.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply. My main question is in regard to the oil seals. I just wasn't sure if those seals were known to go bad. I know they issued a TSB for a retainer on the balance shaft seal. I also wasn't sure if the seals look like they're in good condition, if they'll last me a few more years if I don't replace them.