Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

98 sh- crankshaft pulley belt/ac belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sh- crankshaft pulley belt/ac belt replacement

i was driving up a steep hill last night and my crankshaft came loose, causing me to stall, im going to get the pulley tool that i need to tighten it,can anybody give me info on how to release the tension on the belt to replace it, and while im at it i would like to replace the ac belt too. also i can hear a loud chatter in the timing cover, could it be that my timing shifted? also how the hell did that pulley come loose? from the videos that ive seen, that bolt is hella tight?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 sh- crankshaft pulley belt/ac belt replacement

you dont need the crank pulley tool I think its a peace of **** that does not work I just use an impact.
Honda is stupid.
They used this dump hydraulic timing belt tensioner on h22s and you need a tool to replace the belt, the tensioner is like a little pusher thats held on my 2 12mm bolts and you have to take it off and take the bolt off and turn the screw to retract it in but you need a tool to hold it so it wont spring back and most of the time when you turn the screw it ends up leaking its fluid then it will never keep proper tension. They suck and fail all the time and **** peoples valves up.
I STRONGLY recommend doing the manual tensioner conversion.

http://wiki.clubcivicquebec.com/inde...belt_tensioner
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL!! Honda is stupid?? Is this Mr. Honda you refer to or Honda Corporation collectively? First of all, not everybody has an impact wrench. I just did my timing belt on my Prelude and this tool made removing the crank pulley a breeze while the motor was hanging on my engine hoist. Just use a long handle socket to wedge against the ground while you turn off the pulley bolt - never would have gotten it off without it and NEVER use an impact wrench to tighten it or your asking for all kinds of trouble...I believe that's a recommendation from those dumb uneducated Honda engineers!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tensioner is a pos that ALLWAYS fails and ****s up valves. Noone likes it. So honda was stupid to use it. If you have access to an impact use it. I have never had that tool work for me, my $50 harbor fright impact allways works
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u use a impact gun. make sure u use it only to take the pulley out and not to use it to tourqe it down. use a tourqe wrench for that.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been so busy lately and haven't had time to update my progress,so i replaced the pulley bolt and both v belts , had to impact the bolt with red loctite,everything looks to be running fine, i check the belt tension daily and they are tight.thanks for the info hondoods! I will post pics soon.