Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question.

if the car is on, and you remove both the positive and the negative terminal from the battery, and the car starts to die and finally shuts off, does that mean the alternator is bad? i was just wondering because, i dont want to buy a new alternator if the one in my car is still good. i went to go test my alternator they said it was good, but my friend said it wasn't because he removed both the terminals of the battery and the car completely started to lag and finally shut off.

so does that mean my alternator is bad?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question. (fauxhawkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fauxhawkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the car is on, and you remove both the positive and the negative terminal from the battery, and the car starts to die and finally shuts off, does that mean the alternator is bad? i was just wondering because, i dont want to buy a new alternator if the one in my car is still good. i went to go test my alternator they said it was good, but my friend said it wasn't because he removed both the terminals of the battery and the car completely started to lag and finally shut off.

so does that mean my alternator is bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are stupid enough to do that, then go ahead. I hope you know, you will be electrocuted if you are smart enough to touch the battery terminals with the key on. And , if you remove them...wouldn't your car just die? b/c how is the car getting power? the alternator's job is to creat power for the battery(i..e. recharge it), not create power for the engine. if your car isnt keeping a charge...change your battery? If your alternator goes bad, your car will run for a while, but your battery will be drained after a while since it has no source to recharge it...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 AM

That has been a test ive used over the years on several cars. I know in my i can remove the battery and the car will stay on no problem. Take it to a different auto parts store and have them test it.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question. (Revi-Ra)

You wont get electricuted. I have done it a million times. As long as you remove the negative first then the positve and connect the postive first then the negative youll be fine. Also as long as you dont make contact with a metal surface or the opposite teminal with your wrench.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a sign that it could be the alt. but not a definate that it is the alt. check all the wiring going to it and trace them as far as you can for any bad wires, connections and things of that nature. if nothing turns up get the alt tested again from another place.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revi-Ra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You wont get electricuted. I have done it a million times. As long as you remove the negative first then the positve and connect the postive first then the negative youll be fine. Also as long as you dont make contact with a metal surface or the opposite teminal with your wrench.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive touched my battery terminal before, and been shocked. thats why i said that. Im speaking from experience. it hurt like a son of a bitch. not as bad as when my distributor cap was cracked, and it was somewhat open, like a dumbass, I put my finger there, shocked the **** out of me. i wont ever do that again.

but i have never heard of removing your battery cables from the terminals to test the alternator.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question. (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but i have never heard of removing your battery cables from the terminals to test the alternator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i've known of a couple mechanics that do it that why but its not the best way by any means, cuz it still could be a couple thing on top of that
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM

If you are lossening your negative terminal with a wrench and you go down to far and tap on a metal surface you will get shocked. Ive done that on accident before.

When ever i have a car that has a dead battery, i simply start mine up, take the battery out and put in the dead battery with the car still running. The car will charge up the dead battery after 5 minutes. Then you take the battery out and put it on the other car and voila, done.

But you can get shocked with the battery regardless if the car is on or not. Just done make contact with metal or each terminal.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I was just looking at the charging system circuit diagram and it looks like the battery is not a 'link' in the wiring, but an outside power source. If you took it out the engine should still be able to run.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question. (Hawkze_2.3)

There ya go...start car..remove battery...less weight..better track time...
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: 98 Honda Prelude Alternator Question. (f22builder)

Yes, i believe the main function of the battery is for starting the car. Also helping generate current for the accesories. (Stereo, Headlights).

Hmmmm, i wonder if a car would start with no alternator? Ofcourse if will die instantly or very quickly since the alternator keeps the motor running, but it will still be interesting.

I aint trying it thou, some one else can. I aint blowing my **** up.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revi-Ra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it to a different auto parts store and have them test it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Use a multimeter on your battery terminals while the car is running. Make sure you read at about ~14v then you are charging. If you are reading anythin below that there is a drain in power.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you are stupid enough to do that, then go ahead. I hope you know, you will be electrocuted if you are smart enough to touch the battery terminals with the key on. And , if you remove them...wouldn't your car just die? b/c how is the car getting power? the alternator's job is to creat power for the battery(i..e. recharge it), not create power for the engine. if your car isnt keeping a charge...change your battery? If your alternator goes bad, your car will run for a while, but your battery will be drained after a while since it has no source to recharge it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, but this is all wrong, except the part about the battery draining with a bad alternator.

yes assuming everything else is good, the car should run with out the bat in.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revi-Ra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are lossening your negative terminal with a wrench and you go down to far and tap on a metal surface you will get shocked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

act its the positive terminal, the car is neg ground. and it shouldn't shock you, but it will make a big spark.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revi-Ra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, i believe the main function of the battery is for starting the car. Also helping generate current for the accesories. (Stereo, Headlights).

Hmmmm, i wonder if a car would start with no alternator? Ofcourse if will die instantly or very quickly since the alternator keeps the motor running, but it will still be interesting.

I aint trying it thou, some one else can. I aint blowing my **** up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it will run for a little while, just depends on how charged the bat is, and what accesories you are using...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkspector2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use a multimeter on your battery terminals while the car is running. Make sure you read at about ~14v then you are charging. If you are reading anythin below that there is a drain in power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya around 12 witht the car off around 14 with it running