Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

97 manual non-sh lude wont turn off and keeps dying

Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 manual non-sh lude wont turn off and keeps dying

Heres the scoop I had the battery disconnected for a few months to change the clutch. I finally got it done and I connect it up and go inside the car All the lights are on (battery, oil, ABS, Seatbelt, etc...) as if I had the key in the second position. Only thing is that I did not have a key in there at all. next I go to start it and it didn't start so I kept trying and finally got it to start. after warmup I turned the key off and took it out but the motor was still running. after turning the key for a few minutes I finally got it to turn off. Five munites later I start it up again this time the lights were all off. it started fine and I took it for a spin. after driving for 10 minutes the motor dies the electrical is still working fine. I go to start it and it turns over starts up for a second then turns off I kept trying this for a coupe more times and no luck I waited a minute and it finally started up and stayed on till I could get back home. I bought new plugs, dist cap and rotor. still has the same problem. anyone had this happen before? Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 manual non-sh lude wont turn off and keeps dying (anomale)

You said the car has been sitting for a while. You dont happen to have a leak or water in the car. Because if you have heavy condensation it will turn on relays that shouldnt be on.

I know this sounds crazy but I had a leak in my car this weekend. had alot of water on the floor in my back seat. so I go to the car the next morning after the rain stopped. The battery is completely died. I mean like no lights nothing. so I jump it drive it around a bit when I go to shut it off, the air controls stayed on. so I left the thing running with the windows shut and the heat on full blast. untill it dried out the relays its fine now.

P.S. I fixed the leak my passenger side rear drain tube was clogged. And now all my interior pieces are inside my house drying so the dont smell like old wet civic/integra