Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

94 honda prelude si h23 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 honda prelude si h23 wont start

Maybe you guys can give some insight or point out something I'm overlooking.

Car: completely stock 1994 honda prelude si Engine: stock non vtec h23 with and external coil dizzy

Car won't start, turns over but doesn't fire and it has no spark I've googled the crap out of this to no avail. Only code car is throwing is code 15- ignition output signal.

Background where issue began: Stopped to get gas and car wouldn't start when he went to leave, couldn't push start or anything. I get there and immediately try to check for spark so I pull off the 1 spark plug wire and hold it up to a nut on the vc and boom car starts right up. Tell him to drive it home befofre it shuts off and it dies as soon as he tries to move in gear. Crank it again and it won't start, pull off the wire and it starts again, I feather the throttle and make it to his house five miles away with it sometimes boggin and missing on the way and at some points it throttles smooth. At his house it started up fine three time in a row after I park it. I leave and it never starts after that. I get back over there pull off the dizzy cap and find ash fall out and the button nnot screwed down and flopping around on the dizzy shaft. Immediately replace the cap and button. Still nothing, still no spark. Replace extenral ignition coil, nothing. Replace ignitor (ignition control module) still nothing. Fuel pumpp kicks on like it should.

Any ideas?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 94 honda prelude si h23 wont start

it's been a while but i think there is a fuse or relay to check but i jus can't remember where. under the hood or driver side......o ya, the plugs coulda fouled out too. i cant think of anything else......how did the wires in the distr. look?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the main relay? That seems to be a very common issue with ludes. When you turn the key forward you should hear it click under the driverside of the dash. IIRC it should click 3 times. Good luck oh and if you don't hear the click you can try to resolder the points on the old one cause they crack after some time or pitch out the $125 for a new one. Hope this helped.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No main relay controls fuel pump, if it runs probably not main relay. I'd say new distributor is in order. The ecm code is related to the tdc/crank sensor(s) inside the distributor, which aren't replaceable . So tell him to pick up another KNOWN GOOD distributor and try it. If that doesn't fix it, then look at the wiring between distributor and ecm.
GL
Mike
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mherkamp
No main relay controls fuel pump, if it runs probably not main relay. I'd say new distributor is in order. The ecm code is related to the tdc/crank sensor(s) inside the distributor, which aren't replaceable . So tell him to pick up another KNOWN GOOD distributor and try it. If that doesn't fix it, then look at the wiring between distributor and ecm.
GL
Mike
right
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your best bet is probably the distributor...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah new dizzy fixed the problem.
Thanks everyone

Also it is likely it was just the ignitor so could have saved some money on that so...

To anyone else that has issues like this someone pointed me to this wonderful article here

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html