Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

93 Prelude H23 to H22a swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Prelude H23 to H22a swap

I purchased a JDM H22a from Hmotorsonline.com and am in the process of getting it into my Automatic Prelude.

First off I noticed that a lot of the wires had been cut on the H22a and I heard that was because they don't reach to where they need to since Japanese motors are designed for right side steering.

What would be the best way to run the wires? How do I extend them? Should I re-route the harness?

Also, I noticed the canister is missing on the H22a and mine is cracked on my H23 so where could I purchase a new one?

What all is involved with swapping these engines basically? I would like to make sure I don't miss anything. I already have the tranny bolted onto the engine. I will be moving my AC from the H23 to the H22a as well. The main things are wiring the Vtec and other wires (extending them), and getting a new canister.

On that note, does anyone have a link to a diagram for wiring Vtech?

Thanks in advance, your help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-27-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Re: 93 Prelude H23 to H22a swap (ramikassab)

Vtec not Vtech. Change it before anyone flames you for that. Not that nice of people on HT sometimes. But you can search for this and probably find the answer.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:58 AM

Default Re: 93 Prelude H23 to H22a swap (aboh6leenz)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=970610
Old 11-27-2004, 08:06 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the only diff in the install of an h23a1 as compared to an h22a is the wiring for vtec, everythign else is the same.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

Use your old h23 wiring harness.

You will also have to use the h23 fuel rail,
just switch the h22 345cc injectors over.

You also might wantto look into doing the h23 manual
timing belt tensioner conversion while the motor is out of the car as well.

Good luck
Old 11-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: (SKDRCR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SKDRCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use your old h23 wiring harness.

You will also have to use the h23 fuel rail,
just switch the h22 345cc injectors over.

You also might wantto look into doing the h23 manual
timing belt tensioner conversion while the motor is out of the car as well.

Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly does the tensioner conversion do? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (ramikassab)

Does anyone know of a good place to buy an emissions canister and front axels for my 93 auto prelude?

I have been looking all over for these. Any good sites on the net?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:39 PM

I'm talking about the plastic canister that goes onto the bottom of the metal exhaust compartment in the engine. The JDM motors don't require them so the one I purchased didn't come with one and I can't remove the one off of my old engine because it is cracked and I would rather not use it.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramikassab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly does the tensioner conversion do? Thanks for your help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's for security, the autotensioner has a tendancey to fail especially
if you're taking your motor to the upper rpm band all the time.

This can cause the autotensioner to fail (loosen up).
If that happens, there is a possibility that the timing belt could
skip a tooth which in turn can f-ck up your motor.

Check collectiveracing.net for a write-up on it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramikassab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm talking about the plastic canister that goes onto the bottom of the metal exhaust compartment in the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about number 12 in the picture?
Old 11-27-2004, 04:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SKDRCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's for security, the autotensioner has a tendancey to fail especially
if you're taking your motor to the upper rpm band all the time.

This can cause the autotensioner to fail (loosen up).
If that happens, there is a possibility that the timing belt could
skip a tooth which in turn can f-ck up your motor.

Check collectiveracing.net for a write-up on it

Are you talking about number 12 in the picture?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

To tell you the truth I can't tell. I don't think that's it.

It is the only canister located under the intake manifold. I may have confused you by saying exhaust compartment... It's actually the intake manifold it is attached to. Does that help?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:02 PM
RTFM

part #12 is the intake air bypass vacuum cannister and its noit an emissions affecting component.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:21 PM

yep thats the only canister under the intake mani and it is what v4lu3s said it is. As far as the swap goes, do some searching around. The only things you need to change are the h23 fuel rail (the rail off the jdm car has the fuel intake on the wrong side) and you have to wire it up. Just don't break an axle bearing like i did while you're about finished with the install... it's nearly impossible to find a prelude axle thats actually the part you asked for.

you may also want to change the clutch, timing belt and water pump while the motor's out of the car. It makes it easier, plus i think the transmission on the prelude is the absolute hardest thing to pull. way harder than an integra or civic because there is so much less room in the prelude bay. good luck. search around this site for info.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">part #12 is the intake air bypass vacuum cannister and its noit an emissions affecting component.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said that it was, if you were referring to me.

All he said was cannister, he never said what kind though
Old 11-28-2004, 04:13 AM

Default Re: (PreIudeSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PreIudeSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep thats the only canister under the intake mani and it is what v4lu3s said it is. As far as the swap goes, do some searching around. The only things you need to change are the h23 fuel rail (the rail off the jdm car has the fuel intake on the wrong side) and you have to wire it up. Just don't break an axle bearing like i did while you're about finished with the install... it's nearly impossible to find a prelude axle thats actually the part you asked for.

you may also want to change the clutch, timing belt and water pump while the motor's out of the car. It makes it easier, plus i think the transmission on the prelude is the absolute hardest thing to pull. way harder than an integra or civic because there is so much less room in the prelude bay. good luck. search around this site for info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:14 AM

Ok so #12 was the part. Sorry couldn't quite tell. Anyone have any links online for purchasing one? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramikassab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so #12 was the part. Sorry couldn't quite tell. Anyone have any links online for purchasing one? Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

slhondaparts.com
hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 11-28-2004, 01:45 PM

Ok I am having a hard time with the following aspects of this install:

1. The JDM motor I bought came with a manual transmission wiring harness while my transmission is an automatic transmission. I can't figure out how to wire the MT harness to the AT. Can anyone offer me a detailed description and/or perhaps a diagram that would help with this. I'm sure people have installed the VTECH h22a in an automatic SI before.

2. The wires that came with the JDM motor don't reach where they need to go. How have people extended these wires in the past? Do you crimp on new wire and protect it using the plastic tube wrapping? I can't exactly use my old wiring harness because there are some sensors on my new JDM motor that weren't on my old one and the wires for those are missing. Any assistance here is also greatly appreciated.

You guys have been a great help with this... thank you. I am almost done with this swap but I am working on the last tedious aspects of it (and probably the most important)... the wiring. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramikassab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I am having a hard time with the following aspects of this install:

1. The JDM motor I bought came with a manual transmission wiring harness while my transmission is an automatic transmission. I can't figure out how to wire the MT harness to the AT. Can anyone offer me a detailed description and/or perhaps a diagram that would help with this. I'm sure people have installed the VTECH h22a in an automatic SI before.

2. The wires that came with the JDM motor don't reach where they need to go. How have people extended these wires in the past? Do you crimp on new wire and protect it using the plastic tube wrapping? I can't exactly use my old wiring harness because there are some sensors on my new JDM motor that weren't on my old one and the wires for those are missing. Any assistance here is also greatly appreciated.

You guys have been a great help with this... thank you. I am almost done with this swap but I am working on the last tedious aspects of it (and probably the most important)... the wiring. Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SKDRCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use your old h23 wiring harness.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-05-2004, 07:06 PM

I have a quick question, the flange off of the exhaust manifold from my H23 doesn't fit the new JDM H22a that I purchased. Is this normal? Do I need to purchase a new flange now? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H22 and H23 have different exhaust manifold flanges. Different spacing of the ports and bolt holes...
Old 12-05-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H22 and H23 have different exhaust manifold flanges. Different spacing of the ports and bolt holes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I do have to purchase a new flange then. Where would be a good place online to purchase one? What is the general price range for one? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:23 PM
RTFM

i owuldnt go online id buy it at a muffler shop
Old 12-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramikassab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So I do have to purchase a new flange then. Where would be a good place online to purchase one? What is the general price range for one? Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, you need a new upper half of the header. The ports are different...

I'd just get something cheap off of ebay for now
Old 12-05-2004, 07:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, you need a new upper half of the header. The ports are different...

I'd just get something cheap off of ebay for now </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh damn. I didn't run accross this anywhere online when researching the swap. Kinda a bummer cause I had the engine in and am anxious to start the bitch up. Thanks for the help bud!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, you need a new upper half of the header. The ports are different...

I'd just get something cheap off of ebay for now </TD></TR></TABLE>

Think I found one... is this what I want?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

Quick Reply: 93 Prelude H23 to H22a swap