Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

92 Prelude SI H23 Timing Help... & Vacuum Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 92 Prelude SI H23 Timing Help... & Vacuum Noise??

Hi Guys.
I have been working on a prelude that I just got. I got it from a guy who took the car to a shop and they charge him $1700 to replace the timing belt and bend valves. since he didn’t have $1700 to replace the timing belt and valves he ask me for $400. YEAP $400. Nice, clean, new looking interior, new tires, new head gasket, new radiator and brakes... Now, I Replace 2 bend valves, the manifold gasket. I put everything back together. unfortunately the car starts up and runs but it runs slow and it used to back fires a lot. that was Saturday. the book that I have really sucks it doesn’t say anything specific. yesterday I adjust the valves intake 6 and exhaust 8 (please let me know if that is right) the car sound better no internal explosion but it vibrate a lot. I recheck the white mark on the flywheel (what’s the most important thing the white mark on the flywheel or Cylinder 1 at TDC. Cylinder 1 doesn’t really match the white mark on the flywheel so I don’t know if that is my problem) white mark was good. cams point up and little marks to the edge of the head. second belt facing to the left and oil mark to the point. and it still sound crappy at least doesn’t sound like an internal explosion I haven’t drive the car so I can’t really tell if is better since I adjust the valves. help please. this is my first time doing a DOHC. I have done accords, civics but dang this one has been giving me some problems... thanks in advance...
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Re: 92 Prelude SI H23 Timing Help... & Vacuum Noise??

I am not sure about your timming. I personally have never gone by the flywheel mark. After you swap flywheels for aftermarket you usually dont get one. I go by the timming belt side.

Quick check is make sure your firing order is correct with the wires. I swapped mine on an old beater and it back fires like crazy (admitting the other issues it causes )

I would just redo everything you did.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Prelude SI H23 Timing Help... & Vacuum Noise??

yea i will try that again but i will be guide by the cylinder 1. when you say the firing order you mean the spark plugs wires?
thanks.