5th Gen won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen won't start

Hi guys,
Another car won't start thread i know.
So the other day i went to start my car and it was really rough. It misfired like crazy and i had to turn it off and on a few times before it smoothed out. As a result of all this the CEL came on. Now i don't know if its relevant but prior to this it had been idling funny when cold. I was planning on cleaning the FITV and IACV but haven't gotten to it yet. Also 5 months ago i cleaned the EGR and drilled out those plugs and cleaned all that out too. After that it was running great.
Anyway, I took it to Autozone and got the codes read. It was a misfire on cyl 3 and 4, and then a random misfire code as well. So basically it went spastic.
I had the codes cleared so i could drive around and still have my ATTS. I've replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires, the distributor cap looks brand new, i've checked for spark. I'm getting spark on all 4 cylinders. The spark plugs on cyl 3&4 are wet whereas 1&2 are dry. The wet ones smell like gas.
I also did a compression test and it goes like so:
Cyl 4- 190 psi
Cyl 3-181 psi
Cyl 2-180
Cyl 1- 140
Cyl 1 is a little low but the car is cold and its been chilly outside so maybe not too bad.
When i try to start it, it almost catches and almost turns over, almost. My buddy was thinking it might be that the fuel injectors are leaking in 3&4 preventing them from sparking.
My oil is a normal color, there's no obvious leaks on the engine i can see, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen won't start

Try pulling the spark plug on cyl #1 and check the bottom of it... if its wet or oil is built up on it could be a problem... also check the other spark plugs and make sure they are gapped right with a gap tool... 3rd you can put them in there wires and lay them on ya valve cover and try to start it to see if they spark.... sounds to me like your ingition coil is starting to go causing your car not to fire, also are the wires on the dissiributor in the right firing order... just some ideas to start with, sure others will chime in
Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try moving the injectors to other cylinders and see if the wet plug problem moves with them,if it does you probably have leaking injectors like your buddy suggested.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jockone
Try moving the injectors to other cylinders and see if the wet plug problem moves with them,if it does you probably have leaking injectors like your buddy suggested.
I'll give this a try. Its not like the cars running right now anyways.

Serriallion- "I've replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires, the distributor cap looks brand new, i've checked for spark. I'm getting spark on all 4 cylinders. The spark plugs on cyl 3&4 are wet whereas 1&2 are dry. The wet ones smell like gas."
I don't know if you missed that in my wall of text but that answers your questions. I will check the gaps tho and make sure they are all where they should be. I bought Iridium's and was told they came pre-gapped so i never checked that.

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions, anything would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would agree with a leaking injector's... dry is what were looking for. I would do as said above move them around, and if that does not fix it... then I would start to think maybe something wrong with plug ontop of it..