Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th gen prelude automatic to automatic swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen prelude automatic to automatic swap

I'm new to the forum and if this is already on here I apologize. So I'm looking to get a 5th gen prelude. I want an automatic I'm older so I'm not looking for super performance. I understand the factory automatic sucks. So my question is is there a reliable auto swap I can do? The 5th gen prelude is kinda my dream car so I would be willing to put some money into this swap. I just want to make the prelude more dependable. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen prelude automatic to automatic swap

if you buy auto, you could ask if they could do stronger rebuild:

http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/
Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I messaged them thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

from preludezone 5th Gen Auto Transmission Failure Guide :

Originally Posted by Oceanborn
Honda made a few minor upgrades in the transmission for the 99-01 models, so they are less likely to fail.

I think I Have A Problem, Now What?

If you feel like your tranny may be on it's way out, take it right to a shop. Remember to shop around for general estimations, no shop will give you one figure but they will give you a ball park (Ex. $1200 - $2800) Also, when you’re shopping around, take note of the person you speak with. Some tranny shops may have already dealt with a 5th gen and now how to go about it. Listen to see if the representative has a pretty good knowledge of the problem.

Some shops will provide a warranty, however, a shop that gives you a lower price may give you a warranty that only covers parts they inspected/replaced. Specifically ask if they're warranty covers all parts of the transmission (Most won't warranty the electronics because they can fail at any time.)

What Can I Expect Price wise?

It's hard to give it an estimate, it can be as little as around $1000 if you take it in immediately, but don't be surprised if it ends up being closer to $2500. It all depends on how badly the inside of the transmission is burned up.

For 97-98 owners, most shops will be happy to order the upgrades that were made for the 99-01 years that helps prevent transmission fluid from settling and heating up. This upgrade usually costs around $300 extra, but I'd highly advise it as it can save you another two grand a few years down the road.

-Oceanborn
let us know what they said