Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th Gen EGR - input

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5th Gen EGR - input

I know that there are a million threads about EGR's, whether it's stalling, misfiring, blockoffs, cleaning, etc. I'm hoping to get some input from those that know more then me. Yes, I have been reading for hours today all over the web.

I have a 99 base Lude with 120k miles on it.

I have a code 401 which is EGR circulation. I have removed the EGR valve and cleaned it, the diaphragm and piston in it move freely with vacuum as it should, but the code continues. After searching I found a few service bulletins related to the accord and Odessey. Looks like these apply to the H22 as well. The bulletins are here:

http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...egr%20plugs%22

I'm going to Honda tomorrow to see about sourcing the block off plugs so that I can clean the EGR runners. Can't say I'm looking forward to this job because I have an awful back and even removing the EGR valve, which is a damn easy job, killed my back big time.

Anyone have any advice beyond what's in the bulletins? Any idea how long this will take? Am I missing something entirely, has someone figured out a way to bypass the EGR with no CEL?

The only reason I am even doing this is so that I can pass my annual safety inspection, so if there's a better way please let me know.

TIA

-chris

Last edited by DJ_SaNdOz; 08-15-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen EGR - input

I went to the stealership & bought the last batch of EGR plugs that they had on hand. I plan to start drilling tonight. No input?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I got one done and it really wasn't that bad. I couldn't get the replacement plug in there, they kept deforming so I reused the one I took out and put rtv around the edge, no leak.

What I ended up doing was drilling a small hole in the center of the plug without going all the way through, threading it, screwing a bolt in the hole, and used a slide hammer with a claw attachment to remove it.

The hole was completely clogged with carbon to the point where it was solid and you couldn't see through it. I broke it up with a pick, then used my shop vac to clean as much of it out as possible. I'm sure some will remain and smoke like hell until it all gets burned out.

I'll finish the oth 3 tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_SaNdOz
I went to the stealership & bought the last batch of EGR plugs that they had on hand. I plan to start drilling tonight. No input?
Cleaning the passages is not that hard. Just clear the brackets and things out of the way. Drill, put in a screw, carefully use slide hammer to remove the plug, clean, and put new plugs in.

I would offer a couple pieces of advice. When removing the plugs wrap some tape or something around the screw and attach it to something so the plug does not get lost somewhere in the engine bay. I had that happen twice on me and they were a pain to find. Also be careful if you are using a slide hammer not to use too much force and dent the top of your hood on the up swing. Finally when using the carb and or brake cleaner, be very careful about getting it on painted surfaces, it will stain or discolor them.

Also you can fill the old plugs with solder and reuse them instead of new ones if you are having trouble.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I have tentatively fixed it. I removed the last 3 EGR plugs today, and then chipped away the built up carbon and vaccuumed out as much as possible. idle seems better, and no CEL so far. I've only driven it around the block, but I hit VTEC, and some normal neighborhood driving. So far so good. Ive also turned the car on and off 7-8 times without a CEL. I think a quick 10 mile drive will tell me for sure. I guess I'll find out in the morning.