Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4WS alignments

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WS alignments

Has anyone here with the 4WS had any luck getting a decent alignment?
I need to get one this week when I get my new tires but have had shitty luck in the past.

I was thinking (since shops won't let me help them do it correctly) if I was to pull the ECU fuse keeping it from storing any info. Told them to do the alignment with car off, then check it with the car on, would this make the rear wheels align better?
Last alignment I got I had to take it back 3 times and it was still fucked up.

4WS is so rare around here that no one knows how to deal with it. So I was wondering if maybe a Chevy dealership might know how to do one since they now have the "Quadrasteer" (sp?) Any input?? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 4WS alignments (Sephro)

I was wondering the samething. Why not try the Honda dealership?? I know they will be a little more expensive but they should be able to do it until it is correct.

That's what I am going to do.

I installed my suspension but I never got an alignment done. I wanted to wait until I get my swap in.

I hope everything turns out as it is supposed to be.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:57 AM

Default Re: 4WS alignments (AndyD)

The reason I don't want to go to a dealer is because most of them around here either A.) suck! or B.) don't seem to know the 4WS system very well.
It's just too much more for the same or inferior work.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 4WS alignments (Sephro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sephro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason I don't want to go to a dealer is because most of them around here either A.) suck! or B.) don't seem to know the 4WS system very well.
It's just too much more for the same or inferior work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I cna understand that. However, Honda is supposed to be able to do the job correctly and SHOULD be able to do it until it is right. Now if you take the car to a shop that is not supposed to know how to do one, if they don't do it right, they can just tell you that they really aren't supposed to be doing alignments like this. Then you will have no recourse. If you go to Honda, you will have a recourse.

I only see more bad than good coming out of your situation if you go to a Non-Honda shop.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:53 PM

i had mine done when i purchased my 924ws.
i did indeed pull the fuse. everything was aligned to spec doing it that way. and now that i have had the rear main steering angle sensor replaced so that the 4ws unit works all the time... it is perfectly aligned. although i do need to have the camber adjusted on the rear drivers side (about a degree or less ).
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 AM

Had the same problem, too. Went three times in a row to get a decent alignment and still my steering wheel is not perfectly centered. Last time i had better results by letting the car run while doing the alignment.. though it's quite hard to tune because as you turn the nut the 4WS compensates on both wheels !
I tried to find a procedure in the Helm's but i'm not sure there's one.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM

i too have a problem with my 4ws. i have a 94si from australia. yesterday i got fitted a new set of 17's with rubber and new springs.

i get about 1 minute down the road and my 4ws light comes on and locks my back wheels straight (kinda straight). if i turn the car off and let it sit there the light will never come on. i think even driving in a straight line is ok. but after about a minute and turning a corner, the light will be back on. the guys at the tyre place said they have heard ot his happening and u need to take the car to honda to get them to reset the 4ws. is this true? can i just unplug my battery? has this scenario happened to anyone else? please help!!!!

Old 08-19-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (ch0g)

I feel your pain but not enough to retype what has already been written. Bust a search to help.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ch0g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the guys at the tyre place said they have heard ot his happening and u need to take the car to honda to get them to reset the 4ws. is this true? can i just unplug my battery? has this scenario happened to anyone else? please help!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes that will reset the 4WS computer. Just make sure that if you have the stock radio that you know the code prior to doing so...
Old 08-20-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: (Sephro)

i played around with the ecu today and found that the 4ws system is throwing an error code 36. which is rear right speed sensor. has anyone experienced this before? i think the people who changed my springs have either damaged the sensor or left a wire off. i have not had a chance to follow the flow chart in the service manual yet, but i think it has either 2 outcomes, either wiring or the 4ws ecu is damaged.

any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 08-21-2004, 12:46 AM

when you turn the car on does the abs light stay on?
to do the rest of the tests you need a volatage tester. do you have one?
basically the problem either lies in the abs system for that rear wheel, the terminal connections for the 4ws 18-p connector or the abs control unit 14-p connector may be loose or dirty, there may be a short between the 4ws c.u and the abs c.u. (GREY/RED wire), or the 4ws cu has a problem, or the abs control unit has a problem.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: (Not_Rice4ws)

my car unfortunately has no abs. thus leaving it either a wiring issue from the sensor to the 4ws ecu or the ecu itself. correct?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 AM

hrmm no abs... that makes it a bit more tricky. i do not know what sort of sensor there may be for the rear brake system. but i would say try and reset the 4ws ecu by unplugging the 3 connectors, waiting a few minutes, then taking it for a spin to see if the code returns. other then that yes you may have something up with your ecu. but as you stated before; there may have been damage done to the wiring between whatever brake? wheel? sensor there is on your rear wheel. i would get a voltage tester and check back here. ill give you some #'s for the ecu voltages (18-p) connector.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 PM

where is the 4ws unit located? behind the drivers side back seat? is this where i find the 18p connector??

i have the service manuals so i know to check for 5v etc.. but where is the 4ws unit or the connector i need?

Old 08-28-2004, 12:29 AM

it is there. do this though... take the shroud that is loacted in the trunk which covers the back of the back seat off. then you will see the 4ws ecu.
the easiest way to test it is to remove the spare tire cardboard cover and pull the plugs that way. but be careful as that metal cover for the ecu has very sharp edges.. lol
the 18p connector is the longest left one while looking in from the trunk.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:47 AM
OTT

ch0g
My friend paid a shady garage to fit some lowering springs, he had a problem with the 4ws after, tured out the sensor had been damaged. Take off the wheel and have a look

Sephro, Check the centreing springs in the 4ws unit are still firm by jacking the rear of the car up and onto axle stands then manuall feeling how much play there is in the steering, it should be very firm.
If theres a little loose play like half a centre metre turn then its most likely a worn ball joint.

If you manually turn each rear wheel with the front facing side of the wheel outwards away from the body work then you'll be compressing the spring on the side side your testing.

Ive noticed on mine the balljoints are good but it doesnt take as much strengh to turn them left so i think one that leftspring is worn in mine.
My 4ws is disable at the mo, just feels a lot safer at high speed, 4ws can somtimes be a bit unpredictabe at times.

You dont notice the worn springs unless your going at speed and the road has little dips at the edge, at above 100 if you go over one you feel the reel wheels turn right slightly away from it for a split second as you go over it so its not the nicest of feelings but isnt dangerous, yet. Im thinking of removing my 4ws or maybe rebuilding the actuator unit.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (OTT)

thanks for your posts guys. it is sunday today so i have some freetime to go over the car so i will try your suggestions and get back to you

ch0g
Old 08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank god the 3rd gens had mechanical 4WS... sounds like your guys is an absolute pain in the ***.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ours is a pain .. anybody get the back and forth swaying on the highway ??

could be ill alignment but if anybody gets the helms manual or gets the pages from the icelord website where 4gen manual was, drop those directions off any alignment shop ..

they have to turn the steering wheel or the wheel in the back adjust the sensor while the 4ws (shorted at the service connected) light blinks a number of time s... it sounds complicated ...

I agree with teh Honda dealership statement, get them to do it until it is right.. why pay for something that isn't done 100% correctly from the shop who manufacturers the car ..especially with something that compromises your safety. Head Office will ensure they do it right.

My car still pulls to the left... bastards didnt stragthen my steering wheel . grrrrrrrr .

i've since done engine swap and suspension so .. im due for another one ..
Old 08-29-2004, 01:10 AM

Default Re: (yohan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yohan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ours is a pain .. anybody get the back and forth swaying on the highway ??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i did until i had my rear toe adjusted ever so slightly. now it tracks as straight as can be.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:34 PM

my lude has gone in this morning to the honda dealership. hopefully they do an alignment while its in getting the 4ws fixed. i couldn't agree more with taking the car to honda for the alignments at least. the tyre shop i went to is very popular and they still managed to f$%k it up!

ill let you know how i go
Old 08-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Not_Rice4ws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i did until i had my rear toe adjusted ever so slightly. now it tracks as straight as can be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome, thanks for telling me this.. now I am confident its an alignment issue .. My car pulls left so .. I'm going to do the urethan bushing upgrade next spring and I'll get my alignment then.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:51 PM

Default Re: (yohan)

after all the posts i have done. the problem has finally been fixed. honda replaced the right hand rear speed sensor which in the end cost me $800(AUS) F#$K! problem is now fixed i don't know if honda did an alignment or not, but it seems to drive straight.

thanks for all your help guys. long live honda-tech