Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

3rd Gen F20B Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen F20B Swap Progress Thread

I figured I could post my progress on here as well for those that are interested. As the post states I decided to go with the F20B for my swap. I am swapping because my B20a5 was having some issues. Originally I was going to rebuild but for the cost of power in that engine I decided to go bigger. I am excited to get going on this. This is my first swap so I am nervous and excited at the same time. At this point I haven't gotten into it very far when it come down to my ultimate goals with the build. I really want to do a full tuck and repaint the bay while the engine is out before I drop the new one. I have decided that I will probably drop it in to make sure that it is running and then after some time pull it back out to complete the tuck and spray. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

This was my old engine

I was having oil burning issues as well as some other ones. I had pulled the head several times before it for other issues as well.

Front bumper pulled, radiator, condenser

Harness pulled

I have the engine ordered but am awaiting confirmation of shipment (payment cleared last week...). I have ordered an Exedy OEM replacement clutch (went that way for cost reasons right now) and it is coming with a Fidanza 8lb flywheel. I am planning on ARP studs, an MLS gasket, and maybe ACL bearings before I drop it in. I like to plan ahead and would like to boost at some point. I am also going to be getting a slim radiator and installing it with the swap.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3rd Gen F20B Swap Progress Thread

I'm doing an F20B build in my track car, and from what I've read on a couple of threads here on HT, if you keep the stock 85mm bore, you'll have to get an F20B specific headgasket. Ensure you order the right one.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been looking around on that trying to get the correct info. I found a link for a guy on here out of Singapore with F20B specific parts and he has a multi-layer gasket. If all else fails I'll go through him. Do you know if H22 ARP studs will work for this engine?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by preluder90
I have the engine ordered but am awaiting confirmation of shipment (payment cleared last week...). I have ordered an Exedy OEM replacement clutch (went that way for cost reasons right now) and it is coming with a Fidanza 8lb flywheel.
Currently have this setup on my H, still one of the best things I've done to it. Out of curiousity, what axles will you be using?

Good luck with the swap, try and have some fun!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been looking around on that trying to get the correct info. I found a link for a guy on here out of Singapore with F20B specific parts and he has a multi-layer gasket. If all else fails I'll go through him. Do you know if H22 ARP studs will work for this engine?
I just pulled the head off of my F20B. I'll have to compare it to an H22 gasket I have here. They should be the same, except the bore on the F20B gasket should be a tad smaller. I think there are shops in the States that have the gasket as well. Also, there is nothing magical about an MLS head gasket. The OEM gaskets are MLS.

I imagine the ARP studs should work. I'll compare an F20B stud to an H22 stud and let you know.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm planning on using axles out of either a 97-01 Accord or Prelude. From what I have read those will work. And I didn't know the OEM was an MLS gasket. This is my first so I'm still learning as I go. I have just always read to go MLS if you plan to boost. And thanks let me know what you find out.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm planning on using axles out of either a 97-01 Accord or Prelude. From what I have read those will work. And I didn't know the OEM was an MLS gasket. This is my first so I'm still learning as I go. I have just always read to go MLS if you plan to boost. And thanks let me know what you find out.

You need to read this thread, you are missing some information

Link: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=315370
Old 01-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I was thanks you. I had thought I saw somewhere that those were that axles I would need but obviously I was wrong. I had forgotten all about that thread and now realize just how much I still need...
Old 01-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

is that a broken sleeve on cyl 1??

Last edited by motoxxxman; 01-02-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I'll take another look at it.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
is that a broken sleeve on cyl 2??
whoa...
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I'll take another look at it.
can you try and take a close up detailed pic of it and post it here please?
I use b20a5 blocks bored over for my boosted 3g and would love to see whatever can be seen on that damaged cyl of yours for reference on a few things.

and I see now it's actually cyl #1, so I edited my above post
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First things first, I looked at the cylinder moto and it isn't broken. I think it might have just been some gunk or something on top of it because there is nothing on there now. I would assume the spot you were talking about on the lip there at the top of the pic unless there is something I am missing.

New engine came in a couple of days ago, just need to get it to my house.

Got the old engine out as well a few nights ago.

I am hoping today to get out there and start pulling stuff out and get this moving along.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First things first, I looked at the cylinder moto and it isn't broken. I think it might have just been some gunk or something on top of it because there is nothing on there now. I would assume the spot you were talking about on the lip there at the top of the pic unless there is something I am missing..
yeah, exhaust side of cyl 1 (closest to timing belt). it really looks like a chunk of the cyl is missing right at the deck surface. if it is broken, I'd love to see a pic, cuz I'd love to know how thick the stock sleeves are.

on a side note: where are you located? I might be interested in buying your b20 block if you're somewhat close to me
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I looked again I it was just debris. And I'm in Florida, Port Charlotte. Right now I have someone lined up for it but if that doesn't go through and your still interested let me know.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I looked again I it was just debris. And I'm in Florida, Port Charlotte. Right now I have someone lined up for it but if that doesn't go through and your still interested let me know.
ah ok cool. I'm up in CT, so that's a bit far for me, I wouldn't want to pay the shipping on a block lol
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I don't blame you lol. I took a picture of the cylinder. It is at a different angle but you can see where the spot was and that there isn't anything there now.

Got a lot done on the car the last few days. Got the engine to my house and have started stripping the bay.

Got it on the stand

Was a pain in the *** to get it lined up because we didn't have a leveler. Just a chain wrapped around the bottom.

Getting the bay cleaned out.

Haven't scrubbed out the driver side but I got the passenger side.

Need to get the fuse box out. I was just tired of removing stuff for the time and wanted to clean it up a lil.

'

Was trying to get the master cylinder and booster out and kept having issues. One of the brake lines doesn't want to come off of the master cylinder and the master cylinder doesn't want to come off the brake booster lol. We decided to call it a night. I have to take more pics of the new engine as I am finding stuff broken. The vacuum box under the intake manifold has one of the line connectors busted off so I'll probably need a new one of those. Anyone know the actual name for it because I keep searching for one and can't seem to find it.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know if H22 ARP studs will work for this engine?
I checked the H22 head bolts and they were the same length as the F20B head bolts.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thank you. I had also found the answer in the hybrid forum. I ordered them today.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I have been busy and lazy lately and haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked to but have made some small progress. Got the dash pulled apart and removed the A/C box and the blower motor.

Got the fuse box removed from the bay and was able to just unpin the box so I didn't have to cut any wires. Waiting on my bay harness to come in before I start playing with the relocate.

Axles came in...

Started working on some of the cosmetic issues as I have ADHD and can't stay focused on one task for ****.

I had already planned to paint the bay but what I have decided to do is use fiberglass to fix the imperfections and fill the existing holes. I do not have experience welding nor have access to a welder so this will be an easier solution for me.

I also picked up a little toy for use later down the road.

It's a stock Eclipse GST turbo. I won't get crazy power from it and that's ok as I don't plan on boosting the **** out of this. Also picked this up with it. Needs to be painted to match my scheme.

Picked up both for $50 bucks so I wasn't going to pass up on that. The BOV is brand new never used.

I am still waiting on my mounts, harness, ECU, and various engine stuff (gaskets and what not). I am hoping to gain momentum throughout the next couple weeks to get more done.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with this swap man.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 AM
67*
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck !

and really looking forward to this thread since i ve my plans aswell for a f20b swap
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone. Head gasket came in this week so I'm hoping to get outside and tear down the new engine replace all the gaskets and seals and put the ARP studs in. It's been raining the last 3 days so I'm hoping it lets up for the afternoon.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So got outside and worked on the new engine just a little bit. Didn't get the head off today as I started late and don't want to keep it off if I don't have too. The engine definitely sat for some time, a decent amount of rust and not a lot wanted to break loose.

Now I'm not too familiar with the H/F series and with building all together, I am still learning so I just want to ask if all this oil is normal or not?

That is within my intake. Now I know that because of the PCV there will be some oil getting in but is that an excessive amount. When I was looking at the intake valves through the intake ports it looks like there is some oil in there but am concerned that it looks like it might be seeping through the top of the valves. I wasn't looking at wanting to redo any part of the head or block right now but if it is necessary I guess I will (and at that point might as well do a few upgrades), still only if necessary.

Also it looks as if a sensor is broken off on the back of the block.

There is a sensor lower than that close to the intermediate shaft, this is the knock sensor correct?

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen F20B Swap Progress Thread