Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

2001 Prelude Keyless Entry Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Prelude Keyless Entry Issue

I've been doing research since last Sunday and I can't figure out a solution; if I've missed something please do link me to it.

I recently bought a 01 SE (Yes I'm Canadian).

When I bought it, it came with two key fobs. One was kind of worn and the battery was dieing and you had to press the button really hard for the red light on the fob to come on. The other however, was in mint condition. Battery was good and buttons were good. I started using that new-ish looking fob and it worked quite well. I used it at least .. 10-15 times the first day I bought it. When I locked it, (I'm not too sure if I remember it chirping) but the lights would blink, and I realized I had a little LED light behind the steering wheel which would blink as well, after the car was locked.

However, I ended up hitting the option button by accident, and after that when I tried "locking"/"unlocking", it wouldn't respond at all. I've tried the re-programming sequence, hasn't worked yet. Brought it to a Honda dealership and they tried the programming sequence, didn't work either.

The locks however are working, the door chime is coming on when the key is in the ignition, and the center light (for when the door is open) does come on and it fades away as i close the door. I do have the stock stereo/CD-player, and the Anti-theft light on it becomes red when I lock it. The car isn't entering "programming mode".

I'm assuming the LED light indicates an after-market installation of some type. However, when I locked it using the key-fob the LED light would be activated and it would blink. Now it isn't. Even if the LED is not stock, what could possibly have gone wrong with my "stock" keyless entry system that I might be missing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 Prelude Keyless Entry Issue

So after some crazy hunting, I ended up finding a "button/switch" on hidden.

Hence it's an aftermarket alarm, hooked up to the regular keys. Now gotta figure out what it is and how to "set" it
Old 09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you still having troubles? I am MECP certified and do car alarm installs quite often including doing my 97 prelude last week. All alarms or aftermarket keyless entry system use factory wires to do doors locks. (this is assuming that it has power door locks from factory) Now there is a fuse under the hood along the passenger side firewall. Check to ensure that is not popped. Also are you trying to pair an the alarm remote? or the factory remote? I did not understand which one you are pairing
Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am still having some problems.

Since I found the "valet" button, I don't know what I exactly did, but I got the factory remotes working properly. I was able to unlock/lock and I could hear the chirp & see the lights. To test to see if it was an alarm and not just keyless, I locked using the factory remote (saw the statues LED on top of the steering column blink) then unlocked with my key manually and opened the door. The alarm started going off and I just pressed unlock on my factory remote.

After that, it hasn't worked again. The status LED light on the steering column won't even come on now. There's new batteries in the factory remotes.

I found out that I have a Honda Security System. Kit No: 08E51-S84-300. I took apart the dash, and all the fuses with the wires seem to be fine. All the wiring seems to be fine as well.

Took it to the dealership to get it "reprogrammed" and he tried it, but then said I need to come in for an hour-long diagnostic which is $$$$.

Any ideas?

Locks are working manually, and I haven't yet entered the "programming" mode(where actuators sound)
Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just unplugged the battery and plugged it back in hoping to reset whatever the issue is, but no luck. OEM cd player asked for code though.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting, at this point to be honest I would suggest having a Viper alarm put in. If this one is not getting into pairing mode and its not working it probably has a faulty brain. If anything inside there gets messed up (ie leaking capacitor) than it will fail. You can probably have best buy or a local shop to a real basic alarm for $150 and around $40 to remove the old one. I know at best buy they have a VIPER 350hv installed for 219.99. I think that is your best route to be honest

One more question is do you have factory remotes? Or after market remotes for that alarm that is in there?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Factory remotes.

Interesting thing just happened. I read this over at s2ki:
Hey Muz, whatever happened with your remote?

Guess what?--MY remote stopped working again. I tried it at all different ranges, nothing... When I got home, I took the second remote out of the drawer and IT didn't work either. Since one set of keys gets most of the use, I thought it would be impossible if BOTH batteries went dead on the same day. For both of the remotes, the red LED lit when I pressed any of the buttons, but neither would lock, unlock, or open the trunk.

I tried the remotes several times over the course of the weekend and neither worked (Yes it IS very strange to have to use the key for door and trunk opening!!!)

I wiggled all of the plugs and harnesses under the seat, and I moved the antenna around a little bit. I pulled the remote-entry fuse under the dash and it was fine (I'm not sure if that is where the alarm gets its current, but I thought it might be related to the problem.) I was confronted with either removing the seat to check things out, or taking it into the dealer (last, Last, LAST resort!) when I did the following:

I leaned into the footwell with my head on the carpet cuz I decided I wanted to see if there was any evidence the unit was receiving signal (an LED or something..?) So here I am, in the dead silent, dark garage, leaning in through the door, I press the lock button on the remote about one inch from the receiving unit, and THE HORN BEEPS THREE TIMES! (the signal you get when you try to arm the car with the door or trunk open...) After receiving treatment for the steering wheel-shaped concussion on my head, I tried the remotes from different distances. Both work fine, as if there was never any problem.

So, either I have a loose connection that I cured by wire wiggling, or the remotes needed some kind of reset. I don't know. The last time this happened was almost a year ago, so I really don't understand what's going on here.

Just curious whether you resolved your problem...

Anyone else seen anything similar?
Followed it. Literally had my head on the carpet messing around with fuses and holding the factory remotes really close to the brain, and all of a sudden the alarm engaged. Got out of the car, closed the door. unlocked the door, locked the doors, status LED on the steering column blinked. everything seemed to work fine. was able to unlock both doors and unlock just the drivers side. However, only one of the two factory remotes was working. I tried to enter programming mode again, and it never entered it, but it stopped the remotes from working agin. As soon as I got in the car and started the ignition

Any ideas now?

I could go with an aftermarket alarm, but honestly, I can't afford to spend anything right now. (Just bought this last week)
Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it really seems the alarm brain is failing, it works for a few seconds and bam not anymore.
I tried searching for a manual for that alarm but I could not find anything. I think you should save some cash and get a alarm off amazon than save again to have it installed. Advice is to buy viper only no knock off. Viper is the best

your OEM radio youll have to get the code from the dealer which doesnt cost anything
Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When entering the program mode all previously programmed remotes are forgotten.

I would try reprogramming them again here are the directions

Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried the programming sequence and so have two different honda dealerships. It never enters the programming mode where the power locks cycle.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to do it quickly. The last time I did mine it took me almost an hour to finally get it.

I do not know if you can reprogram the OEM alarm key fobs (that have the option and panic buttons) (the OEM keyless entry FOBs just have lock & unlock and can be reprogrammed like the instructions above). I have not tried my OEM alarm ones, just the KLE FOBs. You can buy a new keyless entry fob (with out the option & panic buttons) here for $108 (the price just doubled in the last year) because I bought one in May 2010 for $52. I also noticed the plastic windshield cowl piece went from $66 to $140. I guess as the BB6 gets older Honda wants to make $$ off the old parts that have been sitting around for all these years.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...7-S30-A01.html

Last edited by TheJGB3; 09-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is ancient, but just wanted to say I got it resolved. (In case someone in the future has a similar issue)

It was a corroded wire that wasn't making contact with one of the fuses. Got it fixed, alarm & keyless entry working.