Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4th gen rear speakers not working

Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen rear speakers not working

I just recently noticed my rear speakers not working, so I thought it was the deck that was messed up. I just installed a new deck (Clarion CZ500) and still rear speakers are not working. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the problem is?

No amp or sub, just 6.5" Infinity speakers in the rear and stock rear center sub.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 4th gen rear speakers not working

Check to make sure your wiring is ok, if not, replace it. Check to see if the speakers are fried, if so, replace.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'll double check my wiring, but I'm sure it's ok because it was a new harness and I soldered each wire together. I made sure each connection is wired accordingly following the instructions from the deck and wiring diagram that came with the wire harness. Will check if speakers are fried and update later. Thanks for the input
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the voice coils in the speakers are fried usually you can smell them. i have had infinitys in the past and they all blew up. i stick to alpines now.
-make sure the + and - are hooked up correctly
-make sure all connections are taped up and not grounding out anywhere
-also check the settings on the deck and make sure you have it balanced correctly for front and back(fad)

run new wiring if you must sometimes the stock stuff is not the best. you can test if the speaker still works by hooking each back speaker to the front ones.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so this is kind of weird.
I took out my rear speakers to test and they didn't work, so I figured they were bad. Then I took one of my front speakers to check if the wires in the rear work and they did. Well that confirmed my wires were fine and the speakers were bad. Then I was out driving and when I put my source to the fm station I could hear my rear center speaker and I was like wtf. When I got home I hooked up the speakers again and only one worked.
On any source only the LR works and no RR and no rear center.
Tried switching LR with RR and the working speaker worked on the other side, but the non-working one didn't. My conclusion just one bad speaker.
Other problem R. center doesn't work on any source except the fm stations.

Any ideas on the problem?
Thanks for the feedback guys
Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like there is some setting on the radio where you have the center on for fm and it off for other use. you should be able to turn it on somehow or another. fm is just the radio using an antenna to pick up a source for its sound.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmlilburn
sounds like there is some setting on the radio where you have the center on for fm and it off for other use. you should be able to turn it on somehow or another. fm is just the radio using an antenna to pick up a source for its sound.
Check the radio settings, fader and balance.

Flip over the old speakers see if the solders are still good and you have wiring from the cone to the terminals that is not broken as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

checked radio settings and even looked at manual for any possible settings/troubleshooting for problem, but nothing helpful. Still no sound in rear on any source and when put in fm rear works. Just ordered new speakers for the rear. I'll update when they come in.

Just wondering if the power antenna has anything to do with it? Cuz there was two blue wires one for power antenna and one for amp. Just had one blue wire on harness for power antenna and I taped up the amp wire.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear speakers came in and are installed. All speakers work fine now, so old ones were bad. The problem now is the rear center, it only works with fm and not the other sources (cd, ipod, bluetooth, and aux).

Any suggestions?