Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Truck options for Motorcyclists

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I do what I want

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck options for Motorcyclists

Basically I got the go ahead from my lady to purchase a truck. I'm looking for a truck that best suits the needs of a motorcyclist. I'm open to recommendations.

The two trucks I've been looking at are the Toyota Tacoma 4 door and the Ford ranger sport supercab? it has 2 reverse doors for rear passengers.

looking for reliability, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, no hassle truck. plain and simple.

If anyone has pictures of their trucks with bikes loaded and such with any info as to pricing, motor specs, bed length and such that would be great.

I Won't be daily driving the truck I have a daily beater for that. My fiancee will be using it about 10 miles a day, it will be used more for track days and snowboarding trips.

I think this would be a great guide for anyone looking to buy a truck in the future.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM
cthulward

full size van ftw!

tons of room for you and a buddies bike, plus all your chit

can camp out of the van once the bikes are unloaded

plus, nothing beats the CMV appeal!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Truck options for Motorcyclists (Coke in a Can)

I used to have a old 96 taco that I would haul bikes in. I have pics of that. I have also hauled two bikes in a 06 Taco, access cab, don't have pics of this. No pics of the bike(s) in the back of my current truck either. Anyways, the cab space in any of the trucks I've used provides enough room for gear, gas, tools and food for two people. With the newer tacos, it's a little harder to load unload if your on flat ground, simply because the truck is higher. Driving with two bikes loaded was fine, with one it will be a piece O cake.

The truck pictured, was a 4 cyl 5 speed. If you going to get a new(er) taco, assuming it will be auto, you'll just have to shift out of D and into 4 when going uphill.

If your looking to get a new(er) taco (05+), and want the 4 doors, you may want to look for a longbed, otherwise your junk will be resting on the tailgate.

Modified by backlash at 11:18 AM 10/22/2008
Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Truck options for Motorcyclists (backlash)

WOW.... that sucker is packed
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 AM

was thinking the same thing!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Truck options for Motorcyclists (MSchu)

The blue gas can you see laying down was empty, we filled it up in the butthole town of Lancaster.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Truck options for Motorcyclists (backlash)

One of my favorite sights to see. Headed out to Willow Springs?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Truck options for Motorcyclists (Quiks66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quiks66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of my favorite sights to see. Headed out to Willow Springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>
We sure were. The SV is my brothers bike
Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM

I'd say get a 2wd (lower ride height), so it's easier to load/unload. It'd also get better mpg.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicWagonRUS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd say get a 2wd (lower ride height), so it's easier to load/unload. It'd also get better mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The newer 2wd tacos are about the same height as the 4x4's. He would need to get a non pre-runner for the lower ride height. I don't think it would save that much gas, because you can turn the 4x4 off and just run it in 2wd.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (backlash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragnaroek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">full size van ftw!

tons of room for you and a buddies bike, plus all your chit

can camp out of the van once the bikes are unloaded

plus, nothing beats the CMV appeal!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't agree more. Plus you'll have MUCH higher towing capacity should you ever want to add a trailer to the equation. Bike is out of the elements, and most of the newer conversion vans are dirt cheap and come LOADED. (Read: Large Flat screen)

P.S. They also come equipped with 4WD if that is mandatory for your purchase.

For $1K purchase price, I use this beast....

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use a bed extender / ramp if the truck bed isn't long enough to fit the bike and put the tailgate up.

Out of the two choices, I'd go with the Taco. The resale value is better with that truck and reliability is tops.

Otherwise, I'd get a Titan or Tundra.

The van is a good choice too.

Whatever you choose, having a Baxley chock or something similar works wonders if you have to tie down the bike by yourself.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 AM
cthulward

Default Re: (Zapko Motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zapko Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I couldn't agree more. Plus you'll have MUCH higher towing capacity should you ever want to add a trailer to the equation. Bike is out of the elements, and most of the newer conversion vans are dirt cheap and come LOADED. (Read: Large Flat screen)

[img]https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/Flyimports/2007_0623Image0036.jpg[img]

[img]https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/Flyimports/2007_0623Image0038.jpg[img]

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice. my buddy and i found a 12-passenger G30 for $500. it is rusty, but trusty

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladedad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Whatever you choose, having a Baxley chock or something similar works wonders if you have to tie down the bike by yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a chock makes life soooo much easier! we sprung for the pimpy HF locking wheel chocks. i love them!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you looking at new or old rangers/tacos?

4cyl or 6cyl? Daily driving it too?

I've got a 07 taco prerunner V6. it hauls 2 bikes fine (plenty of power) and has room for all the stuff i need for a track day. it's a 6' bed and the gate will not close if i've got a bike in the back, but that's ok.

The tacoma is bulletproof, but the current generation has had some problems with the rear suspension and the tailgate. if you're buying used 05-06's, they tend to need the updated tail gate and an extra leaf spring, which was covered in a TSB for 05-06 trucks. I'm not sure if there are mileage limitations on that TSB.

The ranger is also a good truck. cheaper, especially buying used, also reliable and room for 2 bikes.

The things i would change, or do differently w/ my truck is get the x-runner. lower bed height makes loading that much easier. Or, get a I4 instead of the 6 for mpg purposes. i get about 17 mpg w/ bikes in the back, 19 mixed mpg w/ no bikes. I have an easy commute, but i'd love to get 25+ mpg out of my daily.

if i were buying new i'd get a toyota. if used, i'd get a ranger.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I do what I want

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

great information thank you.