Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Towing Bike

Old 06-10-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Bike

Allright, I am considering dropping the accord and just getting a truck anyways.. so I was wondering if anyone fits there bikes in the bed of there trucks? I want to get a standard size truck (like a Toyota Tacoma). Ive seen a F4i on the back of an s10 before (sitting diagonally of course). Is there some sort of special ramp you can buy for this sort of dillema? Im clueless and I know I dont want to get a special trailer just to tow a bike.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Towing Bike (DrunkNRacer)

A Tacoma will carry a motorcycle just fine without sitting diagonally. You probably won't be able to close the tailgate, though.

I personally use a trailer with my Odyssey - that way it's still a normal minivan most of the time, and an enclosed truck when I need it to haul my bike to the track.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Towing Bike (marmaladeboy)

you can use a decent sized peice of wood if you have three people total... one in the back, and two on each side to get it up there... the most important thing to remem once its in the truck is to fully compress the front shocks.... if not it will bounce and eventually fall over
Old 06-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Towing Bike (VolpeOwnsU)

You could buy a chock to mount in the bed
http://www.pit-bull.com/Wheel%20Chock.htm
You also want to invest in good tie downs (Dont use Walmart tie downs)
and also a method to hold the tie downs to the clip-ons.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/57-CDANC
and as was posted earlier, be sure to compress the forks because the bouncing will cause the hooks to come off and the bike will fall.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrunkNRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sitting diagonally of course</TD></TR></TABLE> yea i did that wit my dads Toyota Tacoma. Jus gotta tie it down!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Tacoma will do fine ....

Get a sturdy 2x10 and buy a (ramp bracket ??) It is a piece of metal that is attached to the end of the 2x10 (got mine at wallyworld). It rests neatly on the tailgate and makes it MUCH easier to get the bike up. I use two 2x10's and two (ramp brackets ??) that are combined to make a wider overall ramp. More room for error

After some practice ... you should be able to ramp it by yourself (ramp can't be too short and too steep).
Old 06-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Towing Bike (riprap)

i saw a ramp the other day at walmart to get the bike up on the truck. I wonder how well it would work and how much it costs.

Last time, i got my bike in a tacoma but had to put it diagonally. We actually lifted the bike on the truck and off the truck using 3 people. It was the base model tacoma (smaller ones).

Also got the bike on a tundra by using 2-2x4's taped together with ducttape...haha The duct tape just held the 2 boards together...worked well. Only used 2 people to do this too. Probably a lot easier to use 3 people though.