Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Tech help with 98 cbr

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech help with 98 cbr

i was moving my bike around in my garage, and like an idiot i was pushing it from the left side. I tripped over something and the bike started to fall over to the right, i managed to hold onto it for as long as i could but my 145lb *** couldnt hold it for long and it went dn. nothing major, not even a scratch on the fearings thanks to the frame sliders. I pick up the bike put it on the kick stand and try to start it about 30 min later. The engine turned over but it didn't start.i have had no problems with the bike since i bought it, but after i layed it over it took 5 or 6 tries to crank over. it finally started and i rode it around my neighborhood and it was running like crap. felt like i was running on 3 cyl, the exhaust note just wasnt right, and it stumbled and hesitated around 3-6k rpms. i towed it to a friends shop where i changed the oil, put in a k&N air filter, new fuel filter, and messed around with the carbs a little. i removed a fuel line and shot air through it and the jets on the carbs sprayed fuel out fine but thats all i've done with the carbs. so now for my questions. did i **** the carbs by laying my bike dn? i havent changed the spark plugs since i've owned it so does this sound like a spark problem. i would bet money that the previous owner didn't change them either, and the odometer reads just over 16k miles. Is that about the time to change the plugs? i need more input as to what could be the problem. thanks in advance

cliff notes: layed bike dn, now it runs like crap.
i bolded some of the points/ cause of problems.

sorry for the long post, but i need to get this moto running, i work 40mi from where i sleep and im tired of the bad gas mileage of a 4runner.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Tech help with 98 cbr (vuse1)

My bike has been dropped a few times and I never had the problem you've experienced. I'm thinking maybe something got broken off. Whenever mine got tipped over I immediately crank it, it takes a few times and when it does start I run it til the idle smooths out. I never "ride it out" just run parked it til the plugs clear out. Good luck
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Tech help with 98 cbr (900RRBikerBoy)

bump
Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Tech help with 98 cbr (vuse1)

Yo i have heard of this happening to other people but when i layed mine down it fired right up. It could be several things really. Check your plugs, oil might have seeped past your rings and fouled your plugs which sounds likely if your do a top end. I would thourghly clean the carbs, by laying it over you stirred the dirt and stuff in the carb bowls around and you might have a clogged jet then you can tell that the cables are free. Also check the side you layed it down on to see if you pinched a electrical line that might be grounding out. If it still runs like crap check the flywheel and make sure its sound and might have to have some one time it. Good Luck
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech help with 98 cbr (CheeseMuffin)

When you dropped your bike, it most likely flooded the carbs causing your hesitation problem. All you needed to do was ride it around the block and let it idle a bit to get the extra gas out of the carbs. You could have messed up some other things by doing what you did.

At 16k, you're just about due for a tune up (check/change plugs, oil, check valve clearance, carb sync, check/bleed brakes, and inspect bearings)