Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Suzuki SV650S vs. Honda 919

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki SV650S vs. Honda 919

Well I've still got my SV, but it is sitting in my basement, and i haven't ridden it in probably a month. I'm buying my fathers 919 off of him, so i've been riding that. I'm going to sell my SV, because I cannot afford two bikes, but i'm certainly going to miss my SV, so I thought i'd do a little comparo between the two.
First of my SV is the S, with no fairings, other than that, it is completely stock. The 919 has a full two-brothers exhaust, and a PCIII.

With the exception of the touchy throttle, and harsh power delivery, the 919 is so much easier to ride. The handle bars give me so much more leverage compared to my SV. I can get the bigger motored bike turned around in the tighest of spaces, without the least bit of effort. The more upright seating position allows me to ride with a passenger, and still maintain a lot of control over the bike. With the SV, when I went two up, all their weight was leaning on me, which puts more weight on my arms, which is not good for cornering. I end up using my knees and abs a lot more to stay light on the bars.

I prefer the SV gauge set up over the 919. (Although i've been riding with no gauges on the SV all season). The Large digital speedo of the SV makes speed checks a breeze, and the less time your eyes are away from the road ahead, the better.

Cornering at speed, the 919 feels like it wants to fall over, where as my SV feels like it wants to push itself back upright (Do in part to the flat/chopped tire that is on there right now)

As far as power is concerned the 919 has plenty of it. The throttle response is very crisp, and it pulls hard from any where above 3k RPMs, and explodes at about 6500 RPMs. The SV however has a wonderful power band, and is smooooooooth in all gears. Although with the SV I find myself having to do some downshifting in order to get around people on the highway. The SV certainly isn't a power monster, and that is part of what I like about it. It doesn't tempt me like the 919 does.

I must say for a bike with clip-ons, the SV is really comfortable. Under hard acceleration with the 919 you find yourself doing your best to hold on. This is not so with the SV. The not overly done, forward seating position, already has you with your weight over the front of the bike, keeping you firm in your seat.

Neither bike does much to keep the wind off of you while riding (neither has a fairing ) But I like the wind on the SV, because it helps to keep the weight off my wrists while riding. I feel like i'm getting blown around a lot more on the 919.

It's hard to say which bike is more fun to ride. I definitely like the 919 and i'm excited to get something new (I never keep a toy for too long) The 919 is definitely better for long rides, and rides with a passenger, but the SV has much more heart and soul than the 919. The SV is a very playful bike, and i'm very, very comfortbale on it, from riding it as much as I have.

My only complaints about the 919 is there is a slight buzzing in the pegs above 4500 RPMs, and that the thing begs to be ridden hard.

The things I truly love about the 919, is the sweet sounding exhaust, and how easy it is to ride.

My only complaints about the SV are that is has no top end, making highway riding a bit of a chore, and the front suspension isn't quite up to par.

The things I truly love about the SV are that you don't have to do a lot of gear changing mid corner, it's a super fun bike to ride, and it will keep you out of trouble.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Suzuki SV650S vs. Honda 919 (GermanHondaSlayer)

THAT was an awesome post!

I didn't catch the year on your SV? How much will you be getting rid of it for?

In my mind the jury's still out on the 919, but it's good to hear that you're enjoying it. And the motor must be blast!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suzuki SV650S vs. Honda 919 (ASteele2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THAT was an awesome post!

I didn't catch the year on your SV? How much will you be getting rid of it for?

In my mind the jury's still out on the 919, but it's good to hear that you're enjoying it. And the motor must be blast!</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i'm glad someone appreciated it. 03 on the SV. Looking to get maybe 3k for it.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 AM

So you have the S version with the fairings and gauge cluster removed?

That's what it sounds like and just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FUll size pic of your avatar please.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suzuki SV650S vs. Honda 919 (Mag00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you have the S version with the fairings and gauge cluster removed?

That's what it sounds like and just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FUll size pic of your avatar please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

leg humper.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the power of inline 4's haha. Going from clip ons to handlebars is pretty weird at first but the 919 is a fun bike to ride. Its very capable with good rubber.